Predator generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few hours later...

I checked the valve lash on the Powerhouse. Great Scott that thing is terrible for serviceability, lots of stuff has to be disassembled to get to the valve cover. Managed to break off the old fuel line trying to get the case apart, and made nice lake of gasoline on the garage floor
mad.gif
before jamming a screwdriver in what was left to plug it until I could get the gas tank over to the gas can to relieve the rest of it. To be fair, I think that fuel line was getting old and brittle anyway, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. In the end, the valves were slightly on the tight side. Readjusted them, repaired the fuel line, and... No change. Still needs to have the auto choke held closed to start because it opens too quickly.

So, anybody want to buy a used inverter generator? Works great, just needs some coaxing to start it
whistle.gif

Remember, the Champion generator of similar size is not 240V. It's a 120V version, designed for RV's. The HF Predator is 240V.

The fuel line on chinese OPE engines is notoriously shabby. A shame b/c the rest of the engines work pretty well.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Remember, the Champion generator of similar size is not 240V. It's a 120V version, designed for RV's. The HF Predator is 240V.

Mine has both 120 and 240 volt Sockets and settings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jonnied1

Mine has both 120 and 240 volt Sockets and settings.

As does the Predator, which has 2 x 120V as well as 1 x 240V.

Depends which one you get.
The Sams Club one is 120v only, the one I linked to from TSC has 120and 220.
I own an older version of the TSC model and it has 220 which is handy if you are feeding a house.

Originally Posted By: cronk

Depends which one you get.
The Sams Club one is 120v only, the one I linked to from TSC has 120and 220.
I own an older version of the TSC model and it has 220 which is handy if you are feeding a house.

My Champion is 120 VAC only also. It's a 3500 watt running / 4000 watt starting model. This is more than adequate for basic survival needs, meaning it will allow the gas furnace to run in winter, and cool the beer in the summer. There's enough extra capacity to run the dishwasher, the igniters on the gas stove, and the igniter and blower on the gas water heater. Unfortunately I've learned that the power is too dirty to run sensitive equipment like the LG front load washer and drier, as well as the network infrastructure.

My neighbor gave me a 4000w Predator that had sat for many years, and he couldn't get it started.
I tried to clean the carb but it was really bad, that old gas smells really nasty, so for 12 bucks I got a new carb from eBay.
Started on the first pull.
Ran for about an hour, exhaust valve head broke off the valve stem, jammed between piston and head wrecking both.
Bummer because the rest of the motor was in beautiful shape, cylinder bore like new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nascarnation
My neighbor gave me a 4000w Predator that had sat for many years, and he couldn't get it started.
I tried to clean the carb but it was really bad, that old gas smells really nasty, so for 12 bucks I got a new carb from eBay.
Started on the first pull.
Ran for about an hour, exhaust valve head broke off the valve stem, jammed between piston and head wrecking both.
Bummer because the rest of the motor was in beautiful shape, cylinder bore like new.

I remember that story. Sad really, as many people get good service from those 212cc engines.

Learn a new thing each day... Tried asking the HF gurus about the "deposit cup" servicing mentioned in the OM, but the OM makes no other mention of what it is or how to clean it. I was leaning toward the float bowl, but it turns out the bottom of the fuel valve has a hex head cast into it, and it unscrews. The HF product support folks thought it was the float bowl too. Oops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back