Autozone - Wrong Parts - Third Time is a Charm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to classify this as a rant, because I knew better. So I'm just sharing this as one of those stories where I shake my head....

My wife's Rav4 needs brakes. I wanted to get it done this weekend, so instead of ordering Centric pads and rotors from Rock Auto like I usually do, I decided to stop by on my way from work Friday night and pick their up rotors and pads. Their Duralast brake products seem to be pretty well reviewed, and Harbor Freight was having a parking lot sale next door. So I figured two birds, one stone...

Round 1: I tell the guy - 2009 Toyota Rav4, V6, AWD. He proceeds to tell me that unless my Rav4 was built in Mexico, I don't have AWD. Fair enough, he was correct on that. I have 4 wheel drive. He sends me on my way with rotors and pads. I get home and double check the part numbers before I start tearing stuff down because the pads look odd. Turns out they are for a Volvo. And the rotors are for a 4 Runner.

Round 2: I write the correct parts numbers on a sheet of paper, which I promptly forget on my desk in a rush to get my son to his Saturday AM Lacrosse game. I walk in the door, it's the same guy. I figure there is no way he can screw it up twice so I tell him he gave me the wrong parts. He pokes around in the computer and produces new pads. I get them home and they don't match the numbers I had written down. They are for a 2nd generation Rav4. Aargh!

Round 3: I'm walking in their door after work tonight with part numbers in hand. Here's hoping third try is a charm.

I know I've read stories on here about similar things. And I get that the guys behind the counter are typically just there to punch stuff in the computer and then go find whatever part the computer tells them to get. Because of that I usually do write my part numbers down, but I didn't do that this time and it turned out to bite me. Sometimes you just gotta laugh, and this is one of those times. It's definitely back to Rock Auto for me from now on....

I don't looking for a part at AZ until I have its P/N . Often times I will know the part is in stock before I walk in the door. The 5 Ps, dude.
grin2.gif

That employee needs to do a different job function or find a new line of work.
Napa seems to have more seasoned parts guys/gals that know what they're doing compared to Advanced Auto and Autozone.
I worked as a mechanic at a Honda dealer and now at UPS on semis. Good parts guys/gals are undervalued in the pro environment.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Did you know that Toyota sells parts for your Toyota?

+1

I've turned to using OEM parts for my vehicles whenever possible. The extra cost is well worth it considering the break downs and time I have suffered with Autozone junk. The factory starter in my Jeep lasted 15 years and 150k miles, yet 2 Duralast starters failed in under a month leaving me stranded in a parking lot. I was ready to throw their junk parts through the store window. Bought a Mopar starter and it has been working flawlessly for almost 3 years now.

On the BMW, I will only buy parts from ECSTuning or FCPEuro.

I will also add that I never have trouble getting online prices for OEM parts at the dealer.
Tell the parts guy/gal, I can order the same parts from another Toyota dealer at much less, cant you match their pricing
or give me garage pricing?

The frustrating thing with the chains for me is when I ask for a specific part number and then they say "what vehicle is that for?"

"I just told you the part number. Just go get it. You don't need to know what it's for."

"I need to know the make and model."

"Ok, the carb is from an 83 Granada with a 6 cylinder"

"Anything else you need?"

"Yeah, I need Autolite 985 spark plugs"

"Those don't fit an 83 Granada"

"I know! The carb is now on an 85 Jeep and THAT is what I need spark plugs for!"

"What is the model on that Jeep?"

"JUST GO GET ME THE FREAKING PART NUMBER I TOLD YOU I NEED!"

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Did you know that Toyota sells parts for your Toyota?

Meh, depends on the vehicle IMO for OEM parts. In my fleet the VW and Toyota, definitely. The S10, hah! It's a secondhand vehicle so if the important stuff goes (Alt or starter) they will be sent to my local rebuilder. The other autoparts brand stuff will probably outlast the truck anyways, lol.

There's 2 parts stores in town, a Napa and Carquest. Both seem to have staff that knows their stuff and I unusually get what I need right the first time. Actually when I walk in they ask "S10 again?" They're building a new Autozone in town, so it'll be interesting to see what they will be like.

I think some of the dealerships are now running online parts stores. Not just quick moving stuff like filters but like everything. toyotaparts.com is what I've been using but there are others. I got curious and found something for Chrysler too.

Toyota's main page seems to have something: Link Chase yours through and you might find a local dealer.

I try to know what I need before even walking into the door, but I need to be desperate to go to a parts store nowadays.

I use Autozone. I take the PN with me and check stock on line before I ever leave the house. Sometimes I still fail and it's not in stock.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I have found that it's easier to buy high quality or OE with European cars at FCP Euro than my Jeep or my truck. It's nice and somehow frustrating at the same time. I've not used ECS yet.

FCP is usually cheaper than going to the parts store too, but I'll still pay more for quality. *~$250 for Sachs quick struts for her Volvo. The OE part is made by Sachs.. Lemforder control arms ~$100, Lemforder ball joints ~$35. Made in either Tiawan, Germany or Spain. This sort of thing is what dreams are made of. Free shipping, no tax.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
FCP is usually cheaper than going to the parts store too, but I'll still pay more for quality. *~$250 for Sachs quick struts for her Volvo. The OE part is made by Sachs.. Lemforder control arms ~$100, Lemforder ball joints ~$35. Made in either Tiawan, Germany or Spain. This sort of thing is what dreams are made of. Free shipping, no tax.

It is easy to be a COO nerd when you have a euro car, so many European companies make the OE parts.
It is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I don't looking for a part at AZ until I have its P/N .....

Pretty much my rule of thumb for any b&m AP store. Local Napa perhaps a bit more knowledgeable, but even there I have part #s before I go to the store. IMO and IME, helps avoid what happened to the OP.

unless you have changed out the brake pads before and already have a good part number, it's best to buy locally AND bring in a brake pad for comparison purposes. There are often too many permutations of brake pads. I.E. - Which engine in the car? 4 wheel discs or drums in the back, etc. Add to that bad parts catalogs and minimum wage employees. A lot can go wrong here.

I work at a competitor to Autozone and giving you Volvo pads is ridiculous, kind of a dumb mistake. BUT I've had similar problems with RAV4s in the past, several different options for brake pads.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I have found that it's easier to buy high quality or OE with European cars at FCP Euro than my Jeep or my truck. It's nice and somehow frustrating at the same time. I've not used ECS yet.

I love FCP's lifetime warranty on quality OEM parts. Plus they are based in CT, so I usually get stuff in two days with the standard shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back