How much water was in those towels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Shannow
The drier will of course be harvesting humidity from the ambient air as well.

Would have been intetesting to weigh the wet towels before and after drying, then weigh the captured water to see how they compared.

Most definitely...next time it's raining and I have to do a load of towels I will try to take all three measurements...need to buy a set of fish scales

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Interesting dryer Steve, didn't even know that existed. When we sold our old house the stacked front load washer/dryer stayed to my wife's delight. She fought the common mildew problem with that washer almost the entire time we owned it. Bought the most basic Samsung set, not an LED display anywhere, and she's a happy camper. Even at the cheap end it has moisture sensing and timed drying. Of course here the clothes you hung on the line first are dry by the time you get them up on the other end.

Does that have a normal vent or just a line draining the water?

That's the reason the plain drier has always stayed outside...don't want to add humidity in this area (especially the old house we moved out of.

This thing has three maintenance items (two the way we use it)

Water tank (if you don't run the water to the sink.
Drier lint trap (inside the thing)
Another lint trap on the air exhaust from the machine (so it sucks air somewhere, not sure where).

Can also up the humidity in the drum just before it stops for less creases...or have an "iron" setting which leaves them a bit damp to be ironed later.

My mother never had a dryer, and working full time, when she did the washing would be watching the weather, running outside to bring it in, hanging them out again. My wife thought she was crazy - ''Why doesn't she get a bloody dryer!.'' With 4 kids, and years of nappies, my wife used the dryer everyday, it was outside so no moisture inside. We had a clothesline too, but she was dedicated to her dryer.

Since we shifted down here - colder, wetter, foggier, she stopped using the dryer, and then sold it. Now we are running in and out getting the washing in when it rains, clothes are on hangers on every door handle, and a final stink in the hot water cupboard - no lagging on the cyl because we need that little bit of heat. I don't mention the comparison to my mother, it wouldn't go down too well.

The house I had built last year has a mud/laundry room that exits to the garage. It has Durock instead of drywall. There is a clothes line and a dehumidifier in it. The room is vented well. I didn't need the dehumidifier like I thought and it doesn't get turned on much.

I have a propane gas dryer that has a humidity sensor. It's got to be over 25 years old. But I seldom use the heat. I hang the clothes on a line outside weather permitting or in the house during the winter. Usually takes two days to dry stuff in the house.

I have a bathroom type exhaust fan running constantly that keeps the inside humidity down when the clothes are drying. In the winter the extra humidity in the house is welcomed.

I use the dryer to tumble the dried clothes with a dryer sheet so it takes the lint out and softens them up a bit.

8Kg washer
8Kg drier

Definitely can't squeeze any more water out after the spin is done.

It was full...three days of drizzling rain.

The drier will of course be harvesting humidity from the ambient air as well.

Horizontal or vertical axis?

In the Yook, the norm is the "front loader" horizontal axis washing machine. These lose out on gyroscopic stabilisation, and need bloody great lumps of concrete in them so you can't move them solo.

I think its pretty much a life rule not to buy things with bloody great lumps of concrete in them that you can't move solo. Houses might have to be an exception.Boats not sure.

Here they're vertical access "top loaders" and superior in every way except they won't fit under a worktop.

Maybe consider a seperate vertical axis spin dryer if you can still get them. Might be more effective and they were fairly cheap. Doesn't invalidate the heat exchanger / dehidifier approach but might give it a head start.

Or make one. Old Falcon muscle car transmission with the rear axle turned through 90 degrees and an everted tyre "planter" drum on the wheel?

V8 Rumble Dryer.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Interesting dryer Steve, didn't even know that existed.

Does that have a normal vent or just a line draining the water?

That's the reason the plain drier has always stayed outside...don't want to add humidity in this area (especially the old house we moved out of.

So you don't normally run a dryer exhaust vent out through the wall or roof?

Never seen anyone with a vent from the drier, and maybe one or two with an exhaust fan in the laundry roof.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Horizontal or vertical axis?

In the Yook, the norm is the "front loader" horizontal axis washing machine. These lose out on gyroscopic stabilisation, and need bloody great lumps of concrete in them so you can't move them solo.

Double stacked horizontal axis...it's the way it is to get a washer with decent energy/water use...plus our "laundry" is a very functional alcove between the bathroom and family areas, so floorplan is a bit limited.

at 110lb, these driers can't be wallmount.

Was actually pretty proud of my wife helping me get there

That's the norm here, the drier vented outside. I've only seen one set up differently, where the fellow would vent the drier indoors in the winter for heat and humidity, and vent it outdoors in the summer.

When its actually raining ("plum rains" season right now, typhoons later) I sometimes give the clothes a scalding rinse in the (vertical axis) spin dryer which means they come out steaming and dry a bit quicker.

Perhaps not good for the spinner (might melt grease) but that isn't mine.

I’m very happy with my heat pump water heater. It cools the garage, a good thing here in South Florida, and I spend less on utilities. My previous water heater was a conventional propane unit. With propane prices around here reaching $5.50 per gallon, and my 6 showerhead luxury shower, my water heating expense was always over $100 per month. Sometimes as high as $175.

I removed my garage AC window unit and installed the 80 gallon heat pump water heater. I eliminated my propane bill and my electric bill did not change.

A heat pump dryer might help the AC as less hot fresh air would be drawn into the house. I’m going to look into it.

Last edited:
$5.50 a gallon for propane!!!!! yikes.

Last year as $1.45 here. Will know in a month what I have to pay this year.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: CT8
You could hang the towels to dry on a clothes line outside.

Did you read my post ?

That's what we always do...but sometimes we need to use the drier, and at this place a lot more than the old place.
Yes I did and you still could hang them out instead of rant. My grandma would hang her laundry on a clothesline in San Francisco California.

Line is chockers full today just like normal...three days of miserable weather meant that nothing was going to dry, no matter how long it was left on the line.

Given that the days are short and the sun low, the cuffs of clothes, and the hems of sheets etc. aren't dry, so they are in the machine for a finish off, as opposed to leaving them out for the frost to dampen again.

Day after the Winter Solstice, so today's a little but longer than yesterday...but the towels and socks didn't completely dry in 8 hours...buckets still had ice on them at 3PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back