Windshield Rain Repellent

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a heavy rainy day I don't mind getting behind a truck and trailer on the highway, being bombarded by rain and watching the rain beading and zooming off the windshield WITHOUT the wipers on.

I use to use Rain Vision, the BEST I've found, but it seems they've gone out of business. I won't use Rain-X as it leaves a fog film on the windshield in rain and humidity conditions. Over the years I've tried some other products, all completely useless, Castrol Super Clean Accuvision, Glass Shield.and

I've never tried car polish or car wax. Should I?

For cleaning prior to using these I use Windex or such, followed by No Streak Glass Polish, the Best I've found, trying to use up Storer Invisible Glass.

What product have you found as a rain repellent that works!

In my experience paint sealants and waxes on the windshield caused horrible streaking. So I'd say no those things.

Check out glass coatings by CarPro or Gyeon, or any other big player in detailing products. I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about these products although never used them myself.

I don't like the rain beading up and trailing off, its distracting ( to me) and the beads distort the view.

I use dishwashing liquid ( about a 1/2 cc ) in tap water during above freezing weather. That cuts through the road oils without dring up the rubber wiper blades. That Methanol based W/S cleaner is not good stuff for your health or the wipers!

You may want to try the old fashioned glass wax from the 1920's.

Idk how well it works.

Last edited:
I tried Rain-X some time ago and thought it was horrible, the streaks were just brutal.

I will say that my windshield generally beads nicely without streaking whenever I go through a touchless automatic car wash and pay for "the works"...but, it doesn't last that long and I have no idea which of the 6-10 steps actually gives me the nice beading effect.

I won't use Rain-X as it leaves a fog film on the windshield in rain and humidity conditions

I'm glad you said that. When it first came out many decades ago it didn't do that. I quit using it as it
does exactly what you said but I like the principle especially if you're on a trip and you get a wiper failure.

When I first started using Rain-X 20+ years ago, my windshield would rainbow while using my wipers at night from oncoming lights, or when passing the overhead lights on the hiwy...during a rain.

Rain-X may have changed their formula because I don't seem to get this rainbowing(some call it streaking) effect anymore and I won't be without the Rain-X on my windshield.

With clean glass inside & out, along with good wiper blades(my favorite are BEAM Style) and some Rain-X, I can drive at night in foul weather.

I use the Rain-X washer fluid. It leaves a rain repellent coating on the glass. No streaking. I applied Rain-X from the little yellow bottle first, but haven't had to re-apply it. It may work without applying a Rain-X base.

As far as wax vs polish, I tried mothers syn wax and I have to say no. Nu finish polish does a good job with keeping the water bead up and run off. I dont put anything on the windshield though, have enough of a hard time cleaning the wiper blades clean from road grime.

Rain-X 2-in-1 cleaner and repellent, and then windshield washer additive. Works great and no streaking or fogging in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Rain-X 2-in-1 cleaner and repellent, and then windshield washer additive. Works great and no streaking or fogging in my experience.

I've used that as well...does a pretty good job.

Overall...I actually get the best results when I include the windshield in my Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax routine. Easy on, easy off - and super protection that results in water rolling rapidly off - almost don't even need to use the wipers.

I thought about waxing my windshield from the owners manual. It had mentioned in some words that you should clean the windshield from time to time with straight ww fluid. It had stated that wax build-up was a reason for this. How else would wax build up on the glass unless you were waxing it. At least that is my interpretation from that exerpt in the manual.

I tried rainX once many years ago and it's OK in daytime , but I found that during wet and rainy nights it just caused ay too much glare for my liking. glare to the point of being unsafe IMO. I just use Spryway or Durex glass cleaner both in spray cans. No more night glare and despite no water beading I have found visibility in heavy rain to be just fine.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I thought about waxing my windshield from the owners manual. It had mentioned in some words that you should clean the windshield from time to time with straight ww fluid. It had stated that wax build-up was a reason for this. How else would wax build up on the glass unless you were waxing it. At least that is my interpretation from that exerpt in the manual.

Go through an automatic car wash? You will have wax on the glass.

I've used the old Rain-X for probably 20 years, with (after the first application) NEVER any problems. No streaking, hazing or chattering. I'm inclined to think that most complaints are user error, as you need to take care to apply a thin coat and then remove completely. I've found that using a wax removal type microfiber towel as the last buffing step makes this easier. The first application I mentioned before did have some of the hazing and streaking, but upon close inspection, I realized that I had not buffed off properly. Some on this site have mentioned a sprinkle of water making the removal process a little easier.

I loved the old product, but read on this site a few years ago that the original makers of Rain-X had sold the name rights, and that the new product was less robust. Fortunately, I had the large bottle of the old product, and when it started to run low I sought a replacement and found "Rain Clear", which is purported to be the old formula. I have found it to be essentially similar to work with, and it seems to be lasting very well.

The other benefit I enjoy nearly as much as the self clearing, is how much easier bug removal becomes.

I also use the Rain-X washer fluid.

http://www.unelko.com/store/product.php?productid=16193&cat=262&page=1

I use Rain-X in the little 4-oz (?) bottle and have no problems. I apply it just like a wax and then use a spray bottle of water to lightly mist it and wipe. Do not wipe or rub too hard and don't use glass cleaner or you'll probably just remove some or all of the material.

I have tried the version that comes in a spray-can and foams as well as the windshield washer type and if one has never used the little, yellow bottle version, they may be happy with it, but I wasn't. It effectively "didn't work" as far as I was concerned.

Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
I use the Rain-X washer fluid. It leaves a rain repellent coating on the glass. No streaking.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back