Charter Arms Pathfinder 22lr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with the pathfinder 22lr revolver? I'm interested in one with a two inch barrel for concealed carry and varmint/pest control.

A .22 out of a short barrel revolver is a little underpowered. Practice dumping the entire cylinder into a head size target quickly.

A 22WMR requires at least a 2 inch long barrel to approach the power of a 40g subsonic 22LR in a 16 inch barrel. And about a 2.5 inch barrel to match a standard 22LR in a 16 inch barrel.

Last edited:
I'm admittedly not a gun guy. From what I've read this is a good trail pistol that uses relatively cheap ammo. I want light and compact, and low operating costs with reliability. I'm not really into tactical shooting or anything like that.

22 rimfire bullets are quite lethal, more so than many assume, and are responsible for many homicides and justifiable homicides worldwide, including America. However most people use them for inexpensive practice versus a larger centrefire calibre ammunition.

If you are thinking of concealed carry with a rimfire, I suggest you rethink your way of thinking and choose a suitable centrefire carry weapon, then buy an appropriate 22, similar to your carry weapon, for practice.

Regular practice (because skills can depreciate remarkably quickly) is essential and an obligation of anyone who conceal carries.

Note that even though I currently reside in Canada, where a concealed carry permit is extremely rare for non-law enforcement individuals (civilian permits rumoured to be less than 50 nationwide) I've not always lived here.

Plus with regard to handguns in general, they are available here to anyone who has a clean record and no mental health issues, so they are not as rare as some assume. Roughly 1 in every 4 Canadians is a gun owner, and for those who live outside major cities (2 million or larger) it's much higher than that.

For varmint / pest why don't you look at the cheapest .22LR rifle you can find at your local gun/pawn dealer? An old bolt action for about $80-$100 would be perfect. It will be WAY more accurate and have better ballistics.

For conceal carry, I'd look at something a bit more substantial in caliber, at least .380.

If you are not a gun guy, picking a revolver is a good choice.

The Ruger LCR and Smith & Wesson are WAY better revolvers than anything from Charter, and with the cheaper models being perhaps only $50 more expensive. This really is a case of save a bit more now, and have a much better gun later (IE, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE). When you realize that you will have this thing for the rest of your life, whats an additional $50 or $100 paid to a get a much better quality item now? Depending how old you are, cost averaged over your lifetime that could be just a few dollars a year difference.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/58567/Ruger+5401+LCR+5RD+38SP+%2BP+1.87
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/70712/S%26W+M442+5RD+38SP+%2BP+1.87+w%2Fo+Internal+Lock
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_2108/products_id/415003338/S%26W+M%26P+BODYGUARD+38+NO+LASER

If you are REALLY stuck on a .22LR revolver, look hard at the Ruger model 5410 and 5435. really cool lightweight 8 shot revolvers.

For conceal carry, be careful to compare weights. A 15 ounce gun is much easier to deal with than a 21-25 ounce gun.

And if you are looking at .22LR pistols, don't forget to look at the Ruger Mark IV, Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory, or Browning Buck Mark. These style pistols are legendary for a reason. Accurate, low recoil, durable.

A 2" revolver is not a good choice for pest control. Pest are small quick moving targets, they can be difficult to hit with a full size pistol.

Very curious what kind of varmint control one does with a 2" barrel .22...shoot the varmint in the ear that's gnawing on your arm? Nothing wrong with a kit gun which is what it sounds like you want. A 3" Ruger LCR in .22 is lighter, 8 shot, and has real sights. Bit more money, lot more pistol.

I'd buy a lightly used Ruger Bearcat off Gunbroker and be a happy camper.

hi red91, two questions: have you handled the charter arms 22lr pathfinder in question and what is its price? i had and quickly got rid of a charter arms revolver because it was was so roughly finished i gouged my trigger finger deep and bloody after 50 rounds. if new a c.a. 22lr price is about $300 i think.

my suggestions: for under $300 you can get a new ruger sr22 semiauto with two ten round mags, extra mags are $10-15 each. it is an easy, reliable, handy, comfortable shooter all day long, simple to fieldstrip, can be a ccw. or for $300 you can find a used, heavier ruger single six 22lr/wmr single action revolver, which is made for the great outdoors. heritage 22lr single action revolvers are decent values new under $150, add $20 for a 22wmr cylinder.

not seeking an off topic caliber war here, but good 22 ammo out of the above handguns, while not ideal for protection, given the 22’s cheap and soft practice profile can be highly uh “useful.”

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I have a 6" Heritage Arms Rough rider I am pleased with. They often go on sale for $99

Heritage Arms also makes a 6" 22LR revolver with the interchangeable 22 magnum cylinder. That might be fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I have a 6" Heritage Arms Rough rider I am pleased with. They often go on sale for $99

Heritage Arms also makes a 6" 22LR revolver with the interchangeable 22 magnum cylinder. That might be fun to shoot.

Sounds like a great idea...would love that

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Sounds like a great idea...would love that

Looks like they have quite a few 22 models with the "combo" 22 Mag cyclinder.
http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_listing.cfm?cat_id=2

Local gun store had one for $170 with the included 22 Mag cylinder - don't recall exactly which model. Gal there showed me how easy the cylinder swapped out.

Heritage Arms also makes a 9-shot with nice sights and with the 22 Mag cylinder combo.
http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=16

EAA (European American Armory), also makes a nice all steel frame 10 shot .22 L.R. / .22 Magnum. It's a well made revolver that weighs in at over 44 ounces. I picked this one up a couple years ago. It's been a good shooter. It has the transfer bar system like the Ruger's do. So it can be carried safely with all 10 chambers loaded.

I'm still shopping. Unfortunately, the pathfinder is out of my price range new, so at any rate I'll have to purchase used. I've looked at the rough rider's casually, but a long barreled gun isn't really something I want to carry. About the only new gun I can afford that halfway meets my interest is a cobra derringer, and that makes me a bit uncomfortable. I'm really not interested in semi auto's; just personal preference.

I think that your challenge is that you've specified three things:

1. Concealed carry
2. Pest Control
3. .22LR

And then constrained it by budget.

You can pick two of the first three and be happy with your choice. No choice will meet all three criteria, honestly. When you constrain the choice by budget, you really aren't going to get those three things in one pistol.

Then, you want a revolver. Which further constrains your choices, leaving you almost no way to satisfy your criteria.

For example: the Ruger SR-22 is nice pistol, I've shot one several times. It's a compact, concealable, reliable .22LR. But you don't like autos.

My Ruger single six is a great plinking/varmint revolver, accurate, reliable, well made, and with the conversion cylinder, handles .22 WMR. Too big to conceal.

See?

If you would re-define your criteria, I think you would be a lot happier.

Originally Posted By: billt460
EAA (European American Armory), also makes a nice all steel frame 10 shot .22 L.R. / .22 Magnum. It's a well made revolver that weighs in at over 44 ounces. I picked this one up a couple years ago. It's been a good shooter. It has the transfer bar system like the Ruger's do. So it can be carried safely with all 10 chambers loaded.

That's nice. What do those run?

I think I paid right around $450.00 out the door. There are cheaper 6 and 8 shot models, but they have Aluminum frames. The 10 shot models are built on the all steel, centerfire Bounty Hunter frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back