GE Oven Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have this GE jgbp33beh3bb. For some reason, today when we tried to use Oven and used Pre-heat it's not doing anything.

Broil, stove, all controls and and lights, everything is working.

Does anyone know if it's possibly an igniter issue or something else? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

If it's gas & you don't see something glowing like a light bulb, the igniter is a good place to start. It should have 2, one for the broiler on top, and one for the oven burner down below. It is possible to switch them, I actually had to do mine on Thanksgiving Day a couple years ago to cook the turkey!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If it's gas & you don't see something glowing like a light bulb, the igniter is a good place to start. It should have 2, one for the broiler on top, and one for the oven burner down below. It is possible to switch them, I actually had to do mine on Thanksgiving Day a couple years ago to cook the turkey!

Thanks for the input. So you are saying oven one should be below in the tray area, is it? You are right, nothing is glowing like a heated rod in the oven area.

Because I can see an ignotor for the broil area in the top part, are they both interchangeable, if you know?

They were on my GE gas range, and they were identical. They can be checked with an ohmmeter, they usually go open, sometimes there are burn marks & cracks visible. It's also a good idea to wear rubber gloves, they can be damaged by the oil on your skin (like a halogen bulb).

There will also be an oven temperature sensor (which will disable the oven but not the broiler if failed).

Also the most common failure in these stoves (any modern stove) is the control panel (where you read oven temperatures, set the timer, etc). About a $350 part, typically. I repaired mine by replacing a failed relay, cost me $10. Same symptoms as you (everything worked except the oven). Frigidaire Gallery, but note that there are only about five manufacturers of ovens that sell into the North American 220~240V market, two are in South Korea, one is European.

Igniters are a somewhat regular replacement item for a gas stove. They also have a resistive circuit that controls the gas valve for th burner. If it doesn’t heat up and drop resistance in the circuit, the gas valve never opens. The lower one usually burns out first due to higher use.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Igniters are a somewhat regular replacement item for a gas stove. They also have a resistive circuit that controls the gas valve for th burner. If it doesn’t heat up and drop resistance in the circuit, the gas valve never opens. The lower one usually burns out first due to higher use.

Thanks, do you think I should replace both or just the one which is broken?

Another likely culprit is the exhaust fan, GE is made by Whirlpool. Their current slew of models across a bunch of platforms for the past couple years has had a large batch of bad ones. The control panel will start the oven but when it senses the exhaust not being removed from the unit it shuts down, all within a couple seconds, after a few cycles of this it just bypasses the cycle and won’t start.

I had mine replaced under warranty at just shy of the 1 year mark-the repair crew said they keep a box of them in the truck at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back