96 Grand Marquis using oil recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 GM has started using oilin the past 10-15,000 miles. It has 190,000 miles now. Probably a quart every 2,000 miles. I know some will say that's normal useage but it never used oil in past so why would it start using it. No oil leaks. Checked pcv valve and it was fine. I do normally use synthetic and lately has been 5w30 Castrol Edge but I use whatever is in stash. Any thoughts on why the sudden use of oil that did not exist in past.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Checked pcv valve and it was fine.

Yeah, but looks can be deceiving.

Check all hoses & connections in the whole PCV system. A new PCV valve can't really hurt?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Its only 22 yrs old. Its likely that the valve seals are hard and shrunk.

That was my first thought .

But if it was me , I would not be too upser to add a quart at 2000 miles . And changing the oil when it was time to add the 2nd quart .

You could also find a thicker 5w-30, or go to a 10w-30 which would be fine in Kentucky's warm summer climate. I'd concur with the HM. Maybe shoot for a viscosity around 10.5-11.0 cSt at 100 deg C. If you're currently using a weaker 30 grade (ie 9.8-10.20...I'd bump it up. A quart at 2K miles is not too bad for that mileage.

The OE PCV valve (Motorcraft EV-98-B) is only $6 or so, I would start there. Do you get any pinging?

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yes, replace anyhow. I was getting "milkshake" in my F-150 in the winter some years back, despite no trip being shorter than 50 miles. PCV passed all the "tests." I replaced it, milkshake gone.

My 96 GM has started using oilin the past 10-15,000 miles. It has 190,000 miles now. Probably a quart every 2,000 miles. I know some will say that's normal useage but it never used oil in past so why would it start using it. No oil leaks. Checked pcv valve and it was fine. I do normally use synthetic and lately has been 5w30 Castrol Edge but I use whatever is in stash. Any thoughts on why the sudden use of oil that did not exist in past.

Thoughts.....21 years old and 190000 miles.

One day long ago I did my routine of checking my oil, on my Ford 3.8, which I never had to add anything and was surprised it was one quart down. Ever since, I was adding a half quart every week or two and changing two spark plugs every month. Be glad it is still at a "normal" consumption level. The car was donated after a few months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yes, replace anyhow. I was getting "milkshake" in my F-150 in the winter some years back, despite no trip being shorter than 50 miles. PCV passed all the "tests." I replaced it, milkshake gone.

+4
Replace the PCV valve.

I will replace the pvc valve
and yes I do get pinging under heavy acceleration or under load like climbing steep hill. Has done that for the past 100,000 miles. Premium fuel makes it run stronger and go away.

Sounds like too much spark advance . I used to set My little 2 barrel 289 to ping a tiny amount when I was getting on it hard .

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Sounds like too much spark advance . I used to set My little 2 barrel 289 to ping a tiny amount when I was getting on it hard .
\

The 4.6 does not have adjustable timing. Well it can with a tuner, but normally no you can't change it.

I will replace the pvc valve
and yes I do get pinging under heavy acceleration or under load like climbing steep hill. Has done that for the past 100,000 miles. Premium fuel makes it run stronger and go away.

Yup, definitely replace that PCV valve. Sounds like oil is being sucked in through it, causing the engine to run leaner and hotter.

It wasn't until 2003 that these cars got knock sensors, a '96 does not have adjustable timing. That being said, although time and mileage is definitely a factor, unless it has been neglected, the likely hood of bad valve seals isn't all that common on post '95 engines with the updated seal material.

Would I see oil leaking if the valve seals were bad? I see nothing leaking but it is going somewhere.

You would see a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust on cold startup.

No . The oil is drawn past the valve stem seals & mixes with the air and fuel entering the combustion chamber . On the intake stroke .

On the compression stroke , when the spark plug fires the oil is burned , along with the gasoline & then exhausted out the tail pipe .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back