Harbor Freight 3 Ton Floor Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
If the parts for the Snap-On are made in China, that's disgusting. Only because as HF says, Snap-On does ride on patriotic bravado. If the whole jack comes from the same factory, that's even worse. What's the justification in either case for the higher price over HF? The brand? The color? If that's their business model, they deserve to go under, what a joke. Show up to the table with more than that if you want people to buy your stuff.

I have the regular HF 3-ton, I've had it for years and not done anything more than a fluid change once. It still holds strong and gives me no issues. I have no doubt the Daytona jacks will perform just fine. I think these also have the magnet or filter or whatever to catch the wear particles in the fluid.

I agree. Once you've built up a reputation for high priced high quality products and charge top dollar things are good, as long as people can continue to feel it was worth it. When enough people get hosed and wake up and realize they can do better on price for the same quality, and possibly get the same tools, things can get ugly. When maybe the only difference is the color, eg: like the jack discussed here can be had for hundreds of dollars less you get twisted and wake up. It looks like that might be the case here. I wouldn't care one way or another if they went belly up to tell you the truth.

Yikes. I wonder how many people here spend $2 for a cup of coffee dining out, knowing that it only costs pennies to make.

Snap on's business model is to provide good tools to professional trades people conveniently. If a mechanic drinks the kool aid and pays 3 times more for an outsourced Snap on air gun vs. a better, cheaper IR gun, that's his problem. Products from John Deere and many other companies are no different in trying to squeeze a bit more profit out of certain products because on the brand name recognition.

There is a 60+ page thread about the HF vs. Snap on jacks over at theGaragejournal forum: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338200&page=62

The HF jack has been dismantled and evaluated by their resident jack guru and he found the jack internals quality to reflect the selling price. No one has offered to provide the Snap on version to see if it shares the exact same internals.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Yikes. I wonder how many people here spend $2 for a cup of coffee dining out, knowing that it only costs pennies to make.

Do you go out to eat ?

I dine out and accept the exaggerated costs. I'm not the one(s)complaining about Snap-on's business practices and suggesting the company by shunned or go out of business. My point is that people here are being hypocrites if they chastise Snap-on's business practices and then turn around and don't walk the talk in other aspects of their lives.

I own an obscene amount of Snap on tools, I eat out plenty and I pay dizzying property taxes. If I can get a decent floor jack for 1/3 the price, I'm on board.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I own an obscene amount of Snap on tools

That's better, but you still need to use the dash key. Snap-on.

Really? In fact, I've spent so much on these tools, I'll spell it however I want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Really, harassment over a hyphen?

Yea just some "new" member joined this year and has 450 posts already in 5 months.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I own an obscene amount of Snap on tools

That's better, but you still need to use the dash key. Snap-on.

No, he doesn't. He, and others, can spell snapOn or Snapon or snapON or Snap-ON anyway they want.

Snap-on has never had a capital O. I wish people would get that through their thick heads.

You're using the shift key needlessly.

Here I'll do it again, "Snap-On". Take some medication, maybe you shouldn't "needlessly" be a [censored] either. The only time you've left a comment in this thread is to be a snarky [censored] to people instead of discussing the topic.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Snap on's business model is to provide good tools to professional trades people conveniently. If a mechanic drinks the kool aid and pays 3 times more for an outsourced Snap on air gun vs. a better, cheaper IR gun, that's his problem. Products from John Deere and many other companies are no different in trying to squeeze a bit more profit out of certain products because on the brand name recognition.
A $2 cup of coffee is still a $2 cup of coffee. The difference in price from pennies to $2 dollars is nothing compared to the difference between ~$100 to ~$600. The purchasing power for what you can buy for $2 is nothing compared to what you can buy for ~$600.

God bless America, I have no problems with people buying whatever they want to buy even if they're paying more than they should. That's their choice. It's also the choice of other consumers not to buy something, that's all.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

I have a Aluminum Pittsburgh floor jack from harbor freight & LOVE IT!!!!

Yup, I have one too. I use the steel 3-ton for general purpose lifting or on heavier vehicles and the aluminum one just for corners when doing quick work on a single wheel.

I even left the aluminum one out, with the ram exposed when the landscapers came by and blew a bunch of dust and dirt on to the exposed ram with a leafblower. That was years ago and it's never leaked or failed in any way.

I use these jacks often because I'm the one maintaining the cars and doing repairs for all of my family members. Sometimes keeping them bearing load for hours at a time and they've never failed me in any way. Given the price I paid for these and the performance I got (and continue to get) out of them, I simply find no point in paying more for the same or similar product under a different brand.

Maybe this thread will be a wake up call to some people in the market for a good floor jack. Snap-on makes some great tools, but are they worth 3x or more the cost in some instances? Not for me, and I don't need a loan shark to finance the purchase of their high priced tools. I own some of their tools, I bought them from a neighbor years ago when he retired and moved. If I had to pay truck prices for them I'd pass.

I used the dash key for Snap-on, to keep peace...lol

Last edited:
So... I went back to HF yesterday to grab another jack for my buddy's son who is a budding hot rodder. I noticed there's an orange four ton jack that's 20 dollars cheaper than the yellow three ton. Same Daytona brand... In fact, there's a whole line of orange ones. There may be some truth to the Snap ON comparison. I mean, why else would the one three ton jack be made to stand out?

BTW, I cut coupons out of Hot Rod and got both jacks for 179. I'm not a sucker.

I bought a new Chinese floor jack 25+ years ago at a flea market. It's been stored inside and outside under a overhang, gotten wet and snowed on, and still works.

i have the 3 ton low profile jack.....have had it about 4-5 years without any problems.....it was about $79 with a coupon

I'm a sucker for the Daytona's coloring and design, but it's not worth $200 to me.

I have the 3.5 ton aluminum jack and will probably just get the chunky $80 3 ton as my second/ spare.

I have the 3 ton Pittsburgh jack that was $79. I love it even though it is very heavy. I move it around in an old wagon to minimize the chances of getting a hernia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back