Chicken with okra in a skillet

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw some really nice looking okra while out shopping today and it was also less than two bucks a pound, so of course we had to have it.
An easy way to make okra is to cook it in a covered frying pan on the range with chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned and chicken parts with appropriate seasoning, so this is what we did, using chicken thighs.
A tasty and easy meal, although not everyone likes okra.

Okra goes nice in a pot of fresh black eyed peas. Of course fried with a little corn meal is great. I just pickled okra for the first time. Turned out nice. I've got three rows in the garden so I've been thinking about okra a lot lately.

I just trow it in the pan with some oil, onion and garlic, black pepper and some salt and it was pretty good.

My 'tube knowledge show me you can get rid of sliminess by cutting in small pieces than letting dry for 1-2 hours or boil in water, separate from anything else, then pull from pan. slime left in the water.

I tried to use it as regular veggies, but my stew was... well i could turn my port upside own and it would not fall down....

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
is atra that stuff you can only eat sitting down?

umm, Atra is brand of razor.
Never known anyone to eat one sitting down or otherwise.
Party a little too hearty over the weekend?

I've never been able to eat it. I can handle small pieces that are deep fried or in a batch of gumbo.

I tried souse the other day and was completely surprised. The store had a couple different kinds and I ended up with one that tasted like something between chorizo and the ham hock from a pot of ham and beans. If you try and fry it, it'll basically fall apart because the cartilage/gelatin is all that's holding it together. But then you get a big, crunchy block of jalapeno cheddar sourdough to go with it and it makes a great sandwich. I'd even say you could add it to a soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back