Removing starter in Husqvarna with B&S twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to pull the starter in this riding mower (about 2001). It spins but does not engage. I suspect the mouse nest nearby that was larger than a softball.

Anyway the starter bracket is bolted to the engine with two T-40 head bolts. The one on the right I can barely see much less get a torx tool into it. Thats todays's problem. The torx bolt on the left is off.

Ideas?

19353 Universal Socket 13 mm, 12 point, 1/4" Drive. For removing electric starter mounting screws.
I don't have the Briggs, which I believe is a Snap-On.
You Said it was a torx, it also should be a 13mm.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
19353 Universal Socket 13 mm, 12 point, 1/4" Drive. For removing electric starter mounting screws.

Lordy..... I'll bet that is expensive.

I've never seen Briggs and Stratton tools.....

Originally Posted By: Donald
Need to pull the starter in this riding mower (about 2001). It spins but does not engage. I suspect the mouse nest nearby that was larger than a softball.

Anyway the starter bracket is bolted to the engine with two T-40 head bolts. The one on the right I can barely see much less get a torx tool into it. Thats todays's problem. The torx bolt on the left is off.

Ideas?

Get a 3” torx bit, works great

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: GravelRoad

Lordy..... I'll bet that is expensive.

I've never seen Briggs and Stratton tools.....

wow that's a ripoff: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/briggs-stratton/19353

BUT....its "made in USA"...that way you are supporting your domestic economy
grin.gif

USA jobs matters...
34.gif

27.gif

Ideas?

I once have had to loosen an engine off the frame to be able to tilt the engine to get a starter off. Maybe a picture might help.

It looks like if I turn and move up the gear on the starter I might be able to get in a T40 screwdriver but cannot get by T-40 socket bit in. Too big in diameter.

If that does not work then I will look at the B&S tool.

It looks like if I turn and move up the gear on the starter I might be able to get in a T40 screwdriver but cannot get by T-40 socket bit in. Too big in diameter.

If that does not work then I will look at the B&S tool.

Again, get a 3 or 4” torx bit. It will work and they are like $4. I use the kind that goes in an impact driver.

Originally Posted By: racinjason
Did you take the engine cover off? Probably the plastic gear came apart.

Not likely, there is a locking nut. the bendix likely is seized on the corkscrew of the starter shaft or the gear teeth are stipped off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: racinjason
Did you take the engine cover off? Probably the plastic gear came apart.

Not likely, there is a locking nut. the bendix likely is seized on the corkscrew of the starter shaft or the gear teeth are stipped off.

I have seen several just crumble apart. The corkscrew is fine. I have also seen it be a melted mess where everything except the shaft needs to be replaced.

Never seen a lock nut hold a Briggs bendix in place on a twin, it’s always a retaining ring that sits in a groove. I keep plastic gears in stock at my house just for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back