Carquest blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am filter shopping and am pretty much going to get an AC PF46e no matter what. But I am wondering what info is there on the CarQuest 85042.the external parts look very nice (can coating, plate, gasket). I just would like to know if there are cut aways, does Mann and Hummel/Wix make them, and whatever other pertinent info you may have.

I will now attempt to use, the search.

Edit: also flow rates could be interesting... AutoZone has the pf46e at 3 gallons per minute.

Just for reference, the wix51042 was rated at 9-11 gpm max per the Wix webpage.

I think flowrate makes a difference, much like in fuellies and engine aero filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Edit: also flow rates could be interesting... AutoZone has the pf46e at 3 gallons per minute.

Just for reference, the wix51042 was rated at 9-11 gpm max per the Wix webpage.

I think flowrate makes a difference, much like in fuellies and engine aero filters.

Those flow rate specs don't mean anything useful unless they say what the oil viscosity and delta-p was at those flow rates. Just like saying a filter is "99% efficient" without saying at micron size - it doesn't give enough info.

The CQ Blue is a reboxed Purolator P1, so stay away from it. They tear like any other modern Purolator

The AC Delco is a better filter than the CQ.

I don't remember seeing torn PureOnes... some boss and some of the base-level Puros sure but I don't think even car51 has found torn P1s... may be wrong but I feel I'd remember them.

There are plenty of good filters out there, plus even really good filters are less than $10, so why scrimp to save $3-4 for something that's keeping your engine in one piece?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I don't remember seeing torn PureOnes... some boss and some of the base-level Puros sure but I don't think even car51 has found torn P1s... may be wrong but I feel I'd remember them.

PureOnes were in the mix. Google search the board for 'torn filter spreadsheet'.

If you are lucky you will get a NOS Wix or Frampion CQ Blue from before the supplier was switched to Purolator. Unfortunately these aren't out on customer shelves where you can root through them yourself, you get luck of the draw on what the clerk gets off the shelves behind the store counter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Thread with link to the torn filter spreadsheet.

https://www.bobtt5istheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360799/List_of_Purolator_failures

Thanks for the link.
smile.gif

I try to go with factory parts usually/always when possible.

I was simply considering a Wix and saw the CQ blue looked good- so I had considered trying something different. But then thinking and hearing your opinions....the PF has been fine for 2-3 oil changes in a row so far, and I hear the cage is even better for increased flow (which is important to me) and also GM and Champion seems to have really tried with the Ecore making a lot out of a little.....dependable, solid performance, and good/not as bad for Earth. I was just kind of concerned with hearing all these no oil pressure stories with the ACDelc which was fixed by switching to any other brand oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back