Coming around again Straub "amber lager"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Sunday oil geeks
smile.gif

Nabbed a case of Straub "amber lager" $5 deposit too. Havent saw or did this since i was a young kid. Glass recycling must be coming back eh

Last edited by a moderator:
The deposit thing is big in Michigan. Not so much here. My dad used to buy me Straub for when I came over to visit. So I was thinking of getting some recently. Price is reasonable also.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Pick me up a case of Rolling Rock
beer3.gif

I tried rolling rock years ago. I prefer straub
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Rip off here. You pay $.05 every time you buy a canned or bottled drink but only get $.025 when you return it.

I pay a nickel but get six cents back from a local liquor store named "Martini Lane". I think the bottler pays the redemption centers $.08 or so, including a handling fee.

Ah yeah, Straub beer, St Mary's finest! The raging debate among locals is greenies or brownies...(bottles). I'm from nearby, we didn't drink much Straubs but I'd sure like to find some Yuengling Black and Tan around here somewhere.

I can get black and tan around me everywhere. That and Straub are pretty much all I'll drink
smile.gif
yeungling porter also is good

Fun fact: I was in Ohio (Toledo) yesterday and saw a Yuengling Porter. Red packaging. Really wish I could have bought some.

There was also a lot of delicious looking beers from Maumee Bay.

Last edited:
Rip off here. You pay $.05 every time you buy a canned or bottled drink but only get $.025 when you return it.

A solution to this problem is a keg.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Fun fact: I was in Ohio (Toledo) yesterday and saw a Yuengling Porter. Red packaging. Really wish I could have bought some.

You should have grabbed some of that Porter! For an "inexpensive" beer brand I thought it was excellent.

If they start doing bottle/can deposit here in PA I'm afraid I'll go the couple mile trip across the border to MD. I don't want to hassle with that. I already give all my cans and bottles to a friend for recycling or scrapping.

Amen brother
Originally Posted By: Delta

You should have grabbed some of that Porter! For an "inexpensive" beer brand I thought it was excellent.

If they start doing bottle/can deposit here in PA I'm afraid I'll go the couple mile trip across the border to MD. I don't want to hassle with that. I already give all my cans and bottles to a friend for recycling or scrapping.

Adam, it may well happen as Straub is doing it now.

There are sometimes other solutions which are just as good going in the opposite direction.

I don't have any problem paying a deposit that I get 100% refund on.

Glass can be (and is, if it doesn't end up in a landfill) infinitely recycled with no loss in product quality (unlike plastic packaging), and every 10% extra recycled glass in the batch formula saves around 3% energy costs. Our typical batches use around 30-35% cullet (crushed, recycled glass) so we save around 200 tons of raw materials per day... Savings add up pretty quickly when it takes around 4 million BTUs per ton to make container glass.

IMHO, It's the ultimate form of American waste to send glass to a landfill. Completely senseless; normal recycling streams mean the turnaround from the time your local recycling picks up your glass until it is back on a store shelf as another product is usually only around a month
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

There are sometimes other solutions which are just as good going in the opposite direction.

Like boxed wine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back