cleaning battery terminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an old, and old school mechanic. I know how to clean battery cables etc, but am still nor sure if on my 2017 Nissan Frontier with 4.06 cylinder, if I can just take off the cables and clean them up, and reinstall, or will some computer stuff be messed up if I disconnect the battery??? The last time I had to clean or even replace a battery it was on old school cars.
I am not worried about radio controls or phone controls, because I don't use any of that anyway. Just concerned about the running driving/ automatic transmission and things.

Last edited:
Disconnecting the cables will reset the computer so all your personal settings will be gone. It will reset the transmission learning if you have a automatic.

Originally Posted By: old1
I am an old, and old school mechanic. I know how to clean battery cables etc, but am still nor sure if on my 2017 Nissan Frontier with 4.06 cylinder, if I can just take off the cables and clean them up, and reinstall, or will some computer stuff be messed up if I disconnect the battery??? The last time I had to clean or even replace a battery it was on old school cars.
I am not worried about radio controls or phone controls, because I don't use any of that anyway. Just concerned about the running driving/ automatic transmission and things.

You can plug a 12v power source in the lighter socket to keep the "keep alive memory" in the computer intact.

Otherwise.... no big deal.
The computer will relearn again, and it does it pretty quickly at that.

Do yourself a small favor. Get a 9 volt battery or small 12 volt battery and attach leads with clips.
Clip on the temporary small battery before removing the main battery. This way you'll be assured uninterrupted power to the computers.
I believe they all take just 5 volts.

This same idea is done through a power port or cigarette lighter but you have to leave the ignition switch in the ON position so the socket (power plug or cigarette lighter) is connected.

WOW....3 answers came in a 1 minute window.

Deleted my answer. An internet search shows that "some" vehicles "might" be sensitive to battery disconnection without a memory saver and "might" require some computer reflashing with a scan tool. Can anyone verify this? There seems to be all kinds of recommendations on Subaru forums.

Disconnecting the battery will reset the ECU to factory new settings. I've never heard of a need to reflash. In fact I'm of the opinion it's a good idea to clear the learned behavior at least once a year.

If they made the cars so you need to relash every time the battery would go dead that would be pretty pathetic.

Your 2017 needs its battery terminals cleaned already?

I changed out the battery on my 2015 and nothing bad happened.

I also think it is strange that it needs them cleaned already. Maybe there is seepage around the posts. I think I will clean, and put some good sealer around the posts.

Dont think ive ever cleaned terminals besides spraying a bit of cleaning foam on them and light water rinse...wouldnt bother on a 2017..

Originally Posted By: old1
I also think it is strange that it needs them cleaned already. Maybe there is seepage around the posts. I think I will clean, and put some good sealer around the posts.

I took both cars in my signature to Walmart TLE for their NOCO battery treatment service. Only $3.99 which includes a nice cleaning, felt washers and red grease. Has lasted years and stopped the corrosion build-up from happening on both batteries. Previously every few months it seemed they would gunk up.

I have one of these, works mint. The OBD-II side goes on the receiving end.

I rigged up a cigar lighter to an old 12V motorcycle battery but you could skip this step.

Hey Denso not every wants or can afford the AGM
smile.gif

Yeah I agree. Bit surprising to have corrosion issues this early. Bet someone over tightened or put excessive pressure in one direction to create the problem here.

The only thing that is noticed when changing a battery on an F150
is the trip odometer resets and the radio presets/clock time are gone.

no other drama occurs....

Lately I've been having problems with corroded or tarnished battery terminals with multiple cars, and they catch me by surprise. I've decided to step up this maintenance to at least twice a year, if not more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back