oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
which oil filter would you recommend on a 2017 5.3 silverado. Running valvoline 0w-20 and change oil every 5000. thx.

Just get whatever you feel like spending money on. You are about to be bombarded with an argument about every filter out there and then the bypass pressure.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
One that has the 22psi by-pass setting as required by GM.

But is it truly a REQUIREMENT?

Not any that I have heard of.

Originally Posted By: dabo72
which oil filter would you recommend on a 2017 5.3 silverado. Running valvoline 0w-20 and change oil every 5000. thx.

NAPA Gold 100255 or Wix WL10255 has the correct bypass pressure threshold (GM requires it) and its better than the AC-Delco lower quality oil filters.
You can also use the Fram Racing HP19, having a 4548-12 efficiency almost the same as the Wix-NAPAgold's, and better than AC-Delco, with very rugged construction.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
But is it truly a REQUIREMENT? Not any that I have heard of.

Yes, requirement for warranty engine claims. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf They could potentially deny warranty coverage if you have a problem.
Plus, during the winter especially, we all want to avoid bypass events, right?! Makes sense, and GM engineers are saying it, so just do it.

Last edited:
Rat407 said:

Not any that I have heard of.[/quote

In 2014 the oil pressure in the Gen V gengines like the OP’s was raised from 40 psi at highway speed
to 60 psi at highway speed. At that time they raised the bypass pressure setting to 22 psi. The reasoning is straight forward. At the higher pump rate they didn’t want to prematurely cause the filter to go into the bypass mode. GM also lengthend the filter for more cross sectional area across the filter to lower the pressure drop across the filter to combat this.

Last edited:

There's a TSB from GM about using filters with a higher bypass setting, and their reason why - the reason has been questioned however. It's been posted in this forum a few times in the last couple months.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
In 2014 the oil pressure in the Gen V gengines like the OP’s was raised from 40 psi at highway speed
to 60 psi at highway speed. At that time they raised the bypass pressure setting to 22 psi. The reasoning is straight forward. At the higher pump rate they didn’t want to prematurely cause the filter to go into the bypass mode. GM also lengthend the filter for more cross sectional area across the filter to lower the pressure drop across the filter to combat this.
I posted the PDF file link above (edited my post) and if you read it, you'll see the engineers refer to the new placement of the oil pressure sensor, and its corresponding control algorithm, among other things, to create the need for a 22 psi (high) pressure bypass.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I posted the PDF file link above (edited my post) and if you read it, you'll see the engineers refer to the new placement of the oil pressure sensor, and its corresponding control algorithm, among other things, to create the need for a 22 psi (high) pressure bypass.

Thanks for the link. I think we agree, but I would rephrase your sentence to “amount other things, resulted in the need for a 22 psi (high) pressure bypass.

The GM TSB basically says the change to a higher filter bypass is because of increased cold start-up bypass events with a lower bypass setting with the new oiling system design.

Hey... I hope you are still around "D" friend.

That manufacturer does make very good spark plugs and air filters. In fact that plugs are OEM for my car.

I would use a Delco with a car that new under warranty. But otherwise the Fram HP series sounds like a really good heavy duty filter. Your engine probably can put some serious flow through a filter under the right conditions. If I had a truck with room for one, I would put a Frantz on in addition.
49.gif

I'd use just about any synthetic media filter that the filter manufacturer recommends for the vehicle. If there is a failure and it can be shown the bypass rating was the cause of the failure, well then the company that made and recommended the oil filter in question would be on the hook for repairs.

I find it AWFULLY curious how for years everyone has said, "Bah! Subarus don't need a stinkin 24/27psi bypass! It's just those kooky Japanese engineers!" but now when GM raises their bypass rating to within a couple pounds, everyone is throwing away perfectly good filters for a retro-spec.
09.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

There's a TSB from GM about using filters with a higher bypass setting, and their reason why - the reason has been questioned however. It's been posted in this forum a few times in the last couple months.

Correct.... ding ding ding... you have the right answer, Zee.

It's a TSB....
I have yet to see anywhere where it is "required".

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I find it AWFULLY curious how for years everyone has said, "Bah! Subarus don't need a stinkin 24/27psi bypass! It's just those kooky Japanese engineers!" but now when GM raises their bypass rating to within a couple pounds, everyone is throwing away perfectly good filters for a retro-spec.
09.gif

I want to see GM's so-called "Data"

It's been proven (with differential pressure set-ups) that show oil filters are not so restrictive as some think they are.

I want to see what GM ACTUALLY tested.
The proof - - is in the pudding.

^^^ Maybe the AC Delco filters have higher than typical delta-p vs flowrate and GM is bumping bypass valve settings to ensure less cold start bypass events. Nobody has seen any real flow vs delta-p data from AC Delco. Or they think people hit pretty high RPM before the oil starts warming up.

Cmon guys,don't overthink every question.
The op can use any namebrand filter that makes one for his car.
It is not complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back