The drains are getting looonger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! This is my 2008 Toyota sienna. The oil changes are getting longer each time I change the oil. This drain was 19,264 miles with no makeup oil added. Blackstone labs said to go 21,000 miles next oil change. This engine is really good so far. At 281,845 miles on it, it just keeps running along. The report said I had 2.1 TBN left. I used the ultra Fram oil filter and it looked good with no tears or anything like that. I also used Mobil 1 5W-30 EP oil and also put the Fram ultra and the M1 5W-30 EP in the back in the van again to go for the 21,000 miles that Blackstone labs said to try. I have read a lot of things on this website and have found some interesting thoughts by the folks that have posted on here. The number one thing I came away with is something DMNEWTON said. He said that he thought that 99.9% of the people change their oil too early. I have to agree with him after running long intervals on my oil with my van and each time I do a UOA, Blackstone said to go more miles! I thought that 15,000 miles would be the limit, but this is just not true and I thought the same thing about the oil filter. It said 15,000 miles but went 19,264 miles. I know they have now said their oil filter (Fram ultra @ 20,000 miles) but I'm going to push past that as well. I don't know where this will end up maybe at 23,000 miles or more, but one thing is clear, this DMNEWTON is correct that most people change their oil too soon. I don't understand people when they say things like it is cheap insurance to change your oil at 5 or 6,000 miles when using a really good synthetic oil when it will go MUCH further than that. Those folks are the oil company's best friend. Thank You, Bill

Last edited:
I was pushing the oil on my old port injected Mazda. Past10k for sure. I got a new DI engine and I am afraid to push the oil on that one.

Well since I can do a synthetic oil change for about $7 (rebate and clearance oil in my stash), I'll stick to 7500 miles or less changes. As you say, its cheap insurance.

You think those long changes are good for your timing chain? Chains stretch, and more with worn out oil. Did the oil lab analyze that for you?

Originally Posted By: billpace1956
Hello all! This is my 2008 Toyota sienna. The oil changes are getting longer each time I change the oil. This drain was 19,264 miles with no makeup oil added. Blackstone labs said to go 21,000 miles next oil change. This engine is really good so far. At 281,845 miles on it, it just keeps running along. The report said I had 2.1 TBN left. I used the ultra Fram oil filter and it looked good with no tears or anything like that. I also used Mobil 1 5W-30 EP oil and also put the Fram ultra and the M1 5W-30 EP in the back in the van again to go for the 21,000 miles that Blackstone labs said to try. I have read a lot of things on this website and have found some interesting thoughts by the folks that have posted on here. The number one thing I came away with is something DMNEWTON said. He said that he thought that 99.9% of the people change their oil too early. I have to agree with him after running long intervals on my oil with my van and each time I do a UOA, Blackstone said to go more miles! I thought that 15,000 miles would be the limit, but this is just not true and I thought the same thing about the oil filter. It said 15,000 miles but went 19,264 miles. I know they have now said their oil filter (Fram ultra @ 20,000 miles) but I'm going to push past that as well. I don't know where this will end up maybe at 23,000 miles or more, but one thing is clear, this DMNEWTON is correct that most people change their oil too soon. I don't understand people when they say things like it is cheap insurance to change your oil at 5 or 6,000 miles when using a really good synthetic oil when it will go MUCH further than that. Those folks are the oil company's best friend. Thank You, Bill

thumbsup2.gif
Love the "oil company's best friend" comment. So true...buying 3-5x as much oil as necessary.

That said I do agree with a conservative approach and utilizing a few UOAs to reach the higher mileage. There will be some comments like, "a UOA costs as much as an oil change, just change it" but that's pretty short sighted, since you are working towards using the oil more fully rather than draining it when it is still good to go.

Heck, it's a 10yr/old Sienna with almost 300K miles on it. You're doing something right!!

Like said, there's a lot of vehicles that could go 20K miles between OCIs w/out issue.

Congrats on your vehicle doing well. The new oil filters and many of todays synthetic oils are tremendously improved over those of a decade or two ago. Many vehicles in Europe also have long oil change intervals. Keep up the notices here on BITOG

In response to bubbatime, how in Gods creation would a chain be able to tell new oil from used oil?
The chain simply needs lubrication. As long as the oil is not sludge, it will be lubricated.

If you have an engine that fuel dilutes , do extreme short tripping the oil change interval may be different. Toyota makes overall great engines.

I will when Blackstone labs sends me the email with the microsoft word version. The report had VERY low wear metals when compared to the universal average of oil changes for toyota sienna's. Blackstone labs said the universal average miles was 6,500. Blackstone sent me the PDF email and my computer can't copy from the PDF email.

Back in the early 90's, I put Mobil 1 10W-30 in a fairly new chevy pickup (it's first oil change) and that guy drove 50,000 miles before changing it. He sold the truck with over 150,000 on it, and it still ran great.

Shortly after that, I ran a plain Motorcraft FL-1A on my truck for 30,000 miles (3x oil changes) and it was not damaged in any way when I cut it open.

EP is good oil-if it isn't getting sheared, & is used on a lot of highway trips, I bet it could last 20K. I can only do 10K on the xB with it because it is short tripped quite a bit, and seems to be good at shearing oil (farm tractor-like gearing doesn't help either, 75 MPH is almost 4000 RPM in 5th gear).

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You think those long changes are good for your timing chain? Chains stretch, and more with worn out oil. Did the oil lab analyze that for you?

The odometer speaks for itself, and it's saying "281,000 miles".

My mpg's are pretty good. I get between 27.5 - 30.2 on a road trip going 65 mph. Going to work with the a/c on with a mix of 65% rural and 35% city with the a/c on 90% of the time is about 25-26.5 mpg's. The drive to work is 25 miles one way and 55mph in the rural area of tucson,az. Overall, pretty darn good for a heavy van and a V6 that has very good power @ 266 horsepower.

I will when Blackstone labs sends me the email with the microsoft word version. The report had VERY low wear metals when compared to the universal average of oil changes for toyota sienna's. Blackstone labs said the universal average miles was 6,500. Blackstone sent me the PDF email and my computer can't copy from the PDF email.

You could use the snipping tool and paint to paste the image into Microsoft Paint and save it as a JPEG then upload it on this site.

I think these threads are the purpose of BITOG. To share and expand knowledge. To maximize longevity while minimizing maintenance and repair costs.

Good job, OP.

You can log into your Blackstone account and download a redacted copy of your uoa. I think you can then upload the pdf.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525

You can log into your Blackstone account and download a redacted copy of your uoa. I think you can then upload the pdf.

Need to convert pdf to jpeg or png format before uploading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back