Audi Q5 - good selection for my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are frugal and drive vehicles for a long time. Currently own:

2008 Acura TL (182k mi.) - Mine
2003 Toyota Rav4 (224k mi.) - Hers

She is ready to upgrade, and we have a budget of $25-30k for a used car. She is looking for a two-row SUV with decent rear legroom for our teenagers. She would also like something premium (like a 3 year old Audi Q5). The goal would be to own the vehicle for 8-10 years (until it hits ~200k mi).

I do all the standard maintenance (fluids, brakes, etc.) our vehicles and will also take on some slightly bigger jobs like swapping alternators and such. It's definitely a requirement that I continue to be able to do this.

I have *only* owned Hondas and Toyotas, and I am a little spooked by the reputation of German vehicles in these areas:

1. Overall reliability - It seems everyone has their anecdotes about German vehicle horror stories, but I have noticed that Audi specifically has done very well with Consumer Reports in the past 5 years.

2. Serviceability - A mechanic I recently spoke to said you now need a special scan tool just to do a brake job? Can anyone shed some light on the feasibility of doing standard driveway maintenance on late model Audis?

3. Maintenance expense - I accept that replacement parts for German vehicles seem to run something like 3-10x the cost of an Asian make. I'm not overly concerned about this assuming the reliability of the OEM parts are comparable to Honda, Toyota, etc.

Any comments and feedback appreciated.

I’ll get flamed for being a German car “hater” but in your case, if you’re “frugal” and keep cars a long time AND work on them yourself, I’d search for something else. The word frugal and 13 year old 200k mile Audi don’t belong in the same sentence.

If she was ok with a 15 year old RAV4, she’s probably more open minded to other cars too.

If you're planning on owning/servicing a VAG vehicle for an extended number of years, it's definitely advisable to invest in VCDS. It makes maintenance easier.

Hitting 200K miles and 12-13 years on an Audi is doable, but I would expect it to cost you more than a typical Honda/Toyota. We aren't going to keep ours that long - will probably ditch it after the extended warranty is up.

Originally Posted By: Parlay_Slow
Pete - Can you share some common situations where the VCDS tool is needed for Audi maintenance?

It's not necessary for basic maintenance, but is very helpful with diagnostics and it allows you to play around with coding for behavioral things like door locks, lights, etc.

If you're comfortable doing your own maintenance I think you'll be happy with a Q5 - I had an '18 for a loaner and it fit the four of us mostly comfortably.

It all depends on whether or not you like the car - I'll never go back to anything American or Japanese, but you may not feel the same.

no way I would get that as a reliable daily driver. nor would working on it be fun, or cheap.

if you have 30k for used, why not just go new? Plenty of cars/suvs at 40k, that after invoice pricing and incentives become close to 30k. Or ones at 30-35k that would be less than used after invoice and rebates.

I would add if you take care of your vehicles and keep them a ling time buy a new Toyota RAV 4 they are nice vehicles!

My friend has an 02 Rav4 so a new will be a big upgrade. You can buy a certified used for under $30 and it will be equipped. Maybe an off lease one. I'd look for a FWD model. Also a 2015 Venza fwd is another solid choice.

Otherwise, I would suggest buying the Audi at CarMax and getting the bumper to bumper warranty for the longest period possible. Pay the asking price but negotiate them including the warranty in the price. Also have the price include sales tax and out the door. Towards end of the month works.

Nice to see the usuals chiming in - clearly the OP knows what it's like to own and maintain a Japanese car - he owns two. Suggesting that a '15 Audi Q5 will be anything but reliable is laughable and shows the bias and lack of experience rampant on this board.

It may need more "small things" to hit 200k than a Toyota, but it will be a nicer car for the 200k too.

Again it all depends on what you like and what you're willing to pay for. It's up to the individual to decide wether or not the increased price and running costs are worth the refinement and driving experience.

Id go for a used Highlander with higher end trim. An 2003 anything to a new Toyota is already a huge upgrade. Find one with leather etc..

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nice to see the usuals chiming in - clearly the OP knows what it's like to own and maintain a Japanese car - he owns two. Suggesting that a '15 Audi Q5 will be anything but reliable is laughable and shows the bias and lack of experience rampant on this board.

It may need more "small things" to hit 200k than a Toyota, but it will be a nicer car for the 200k too.

Again it all depends on what you like and what you're willing to pay for. It's up to the individual to decide wether or not the increased price and running costs are worth the refinement and driving experience.

Define small things? I never owned a VW or Audi product but know quite a few that do. They like them for now but admit they need a good number of repairs and costs them quite a bit. The ones that started to put higher mileage on theirs ran into problems that they decided to replace with something else. Not saying they all will because alot of people like Audi's. I agree it depends what you want and are willing to pay for them. To each their own at end of day.

My wife had an Accord coupe, than a Mazda3, landed a 6 figure job and bought a new Audi. Her Audi has never had a single issue. Brake pad friction on Euro vehicles tends to be thicker and longer lasting than Japanese and American makes. You don't need a special tool to do front brake work. Her Audi uses an electronic parking brake and more and more Japanese vehicles are, too. You hook up the VCDS when changing the rear pads to compress the caliper pistons.
I have no idea how you do it on a Subaru Legacy that uses an electronic parking brake. Look up the prices on OEM and after market parts on reputable websites like ECS Tuning that sells everything for Audi and VW to give you an idea what parts cost.
I bought my GTI new and it has 128K on it. Hasn't been perfect but I really like the car and cant downgrade to a Corolla. Maybe a Civic Si, but even that is a downgrade from a new GTI.
https://www.ecstuning.com

We have a few of the 11s and 12s that are coming up on 100k or more. Typically these cars need wheel bearings, major service every 40k, plugs air and cabin filters. The PCV is a common problem, if it blows out and you ignore it you can pressurize the crankcase, which leads to rear main seal blowout and a 350$ repair or so turns into a 1500$ repair quickly. The MMI controller has an exposed circuit board right under the cupholders, so theyre becoming a common replacement item. I have seen earlier versions of the 2.0t reach 300k, and we have many a4 from 2007-2009 that have 150-175k, so they hold up.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I’ll get flamed for being a German car “hater” but in your case, if you’re “frugal” and keep cars a long time AND work on them yourself, I’d search for something else. The word frugal and 13 year old 200k mile Audi don’t belong in the same sentence.
If she was ok with a 15 year old RAV4, she’s probably more open minded to other cars too.

+10

My wife and I are frugal and drive vehicles for a long time. Currently own:
2008 Acura TL (182k mi.) - Mine
2003 Toyota Rav4 (224k mi.) - Hers
She is ready to upgrade, and we have a budget of $25-30k for a used car. She is looking for a two-row SUV with decent rear legroom for our teenagers. She would also like something premium (like a 3 year old Audi Q5). The goal would be to own the vehicle for 8-10 years (until it hits ~200k mi).
I do all the standard maintenance (fluids, brakes, etc.) our vehicles and will also take on some slightly bigger jobs like swapping alternators and such. It's definitely a requirement that I continue to be able to do this.
I have *only* owned Hondas and Toyotas, and I am a little spooked by the reputation of German vehicles in these areas:
1. Overall reliability - It seems everyone has their anecdotes about German vehicle horror stories, but I have noticed that Audi specifically has done very well with Consumer Reports in the past 5 years.
2. Serviceability - A mechanic I recently spoke to said you now need a special scan tool just to do a brake job? Can anyone shed some light on the feasibility of doing standard driveway maintenance on late model Audis?
3. Maintenance expense - I accept that replacement parts for German vehicles seem to run something like 3-10x the cost of an Asian make. I'm not overly concerned about this assuming the reliability of the OEM parts are comparable to Honda, Toyota, etc.
Any comments and feedback appreciated.

Since you are buying used you are at the mercy of what maintenance the previous owner did. German cars are merciless on those who do not follow their maintenance to the letter. Any european car will cost you from 2to 4 times as much in maintenance as a japanese car. I had a MB E350 and now a Lexus RX350, this RX cost me 20-25% of what my MB cost me in maintenance. (both dealer maintained)

Pete - Can you share some common situations where the VCDS tool is needed for Audi maintenance?

Brake fluid change, transmission fluid change.

A friend owns a '14 Q5 TD that he loves and drives a bunch, probably 90% highway. Just hit 130K recently and the only surprise repair outside of normal consumables was motor mounts. Surprised because he's an older guy who drives easy, just a lot. Dealer estimate was heart attack numbers, trusted indie with OEM parts still in holy [censored] land. Toyota reliability up to that. Amortized over 130K miles not much but planted some doubt on the way to 200K.

The OP's wife wants to upgrade, nothing wrong with that at all, but a RAV is a RAV and sure not a premium ride. A Lexus RX might be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back