Do you have a quarter, or a dollar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the latest way panhandlers are asking for money around here. In other words, if you’re feeling generous, I’ll take whatever I can get.

Recently, 7-11 has had a deal where if you get a coffee and a donut, it’s actually cheaper than just getting the coffee. Since I don’t usually eat donuts, I’ve been getting the deal, and giving the donut to someone at work. Since there are so many programs available here for the homeless, I usually don’t give them money. Sometimes I even put them in touch with someone who can help, if I have a little time. So, yesterday, when a guy asked me for a quarter or a dollar or a cigarette (which I wouldn’t have anyway), I gave him a donut.

BOGO coupons abound in my neck of the woods. McD, Hardees, White Castle.
I BOGO, and give the extra bag to the guy on the corner.
Why not do good (I hope) at no cost?
Never give money though.

Last edited:
They don't want the food. They just throw it away. Some of them make $200k a year. I don't carry cash for this reason,I'm waiting for theguy that has a square reader plugged into his phone so he can take debit cards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
They don't want the food. They just throw it away. Some of them make $200k a year. I don't carry cash for this reason,I'm waiting for theguy that has a square reader plugged into his phone so he can take debit cards.

"Some" ministers make 200K a year, the important fact is "most don't"

I run into hungry people all the time. I ignore the ones standing on the street corners with signs. I’ve seen people wolf down the food I give them. Maybe they’re hungry because they’re coming down from a three day meth high, I don’t know. But I don’t mind giving a hungry person something to eat.

I realize that there are some that need help. The one holding up signs n corners take shifts,move around and make more money per day than most of us do. Same with the ones out side 7-11. If you feel you must give to them give to a church that feeds them,the hungry ones will go there.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

I run into hungry people all the time. I ignore the ones standing on the street corners with signs. I’ve seen people wolf down the food I give them. Maybe they’re hungry because they’re coming down from a three day meth high, I don’t know. But I don’t mind giving a hungry person something to eat.
the professional bums have ruined it for the real ones here. A few weeks ago a guy asked me for money,said he was hungry. I told him to meet me at McDonald's across the street. I went there,he just stayed in front of the liquor store.

Last edited:
We have a ragged, disheveled man panhandling at the north side of a major intersection on I-10. Across on the south side of same intersection, there is a disheveled, dirty woman panhandling. One day, I happened to be stopped at a nearby red light. I see both of them get out of their fairly new SUV in a parking lot about a block away. They unfold their cardboard signs and walk to work the two sides of the interstate. I won't give 'em a dime.

I don't give anything to them any more. Why?

Exchange in grocery store parking lot:

Him: Hey, sir can you spare a few dollars? I'm really hungry.

Me: Come on inside, I'll buy you whatever you want.

Him: [censored] (walks away)

Since We now have legal recreational weed, loser stoner lazy unemployable potheads from all over the world have moved to Colorado Springs; the entire westside of town is littered with panhandlers and if you walk down the sidewalk in Manitou, you'll get solicited at least once for money.

If one held up a sign saying I need money to smoke weed, I might actually give him a dime since he's not lying!

I see them and wonder in amazement how they allow it every time I visit my son in San Diego. It's a beautiful place, the climate is great, and as much as I hate Long Island I'd never want to live there. At least the homeless people here aren't running rampant. I'll never give them money, I donate to the poor at Church and let the Church distribute it as they see fit.

If I'm asked, and I have time/willingness, I'll offer to get them food. About 60-70% of the time, they'll take me up on the offer. If they are like Steve Martin in the train car in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and happy over getting a free meal out of someone, then so be it. I won't give cash.

Once I saw a woman on the side of the road, specifically asking for size 4 diapers. I went into target and got her some. No idea if she went back and returned them for cash, sold them, etc. but at least it's a step distanced from cash.

I have little tolerance for street corner beggars, walking between traffic at stoplights.

Occasionally when asked for money "to get on the bus" or some similar lie, I'll say "I was just going to ask you the same thing". Nearly 100% of the time, they have been willing to give me something. Strange behavior.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Once I saw a woman on the side of the road, specifically asking for size 4 diapers. I went into target and got her some. No idea if she went back and returned them for cash, sold them, etc. but at least it's a step distanced from cash.

I don't think they can get cash without a receipt. But they can get a store credit and use that towards buying alcohol. My guess would be she just needed the diapers.

I have had a few people I know give them a dollar. Then they ask if they can get any more. Plus people are much more vulnerable when the pocketbook/wallet is out. One person got my mom for $20 when she was downtown by the cathedral. Another one came into a restaurant where my brother and I were. This was in the bar area and he had two young children behind him. He asked for $20 for gas and my brother gave it to him. Then he turns to me and says, "what about you"? To which I said no. Then he keeps going up to other people in the bar area.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
I don't give anything to them any more. Why?

Exchange in grocery store parking lot:

Him: Hey, sir can you spare a few dollars? I'm really hungry.

Me: Come on inside, I'll buy you whatever you want.

Him: [censored] (walks away)

They always ask you when you are leaving here! I have seen them accept a bag of chips but not enthusiastically.
It is sad because if they were sincere, they would want to find someone who is one their way in so that they could buy them things.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I see them and wonder in amazement how they allow it every time I visit my son in San Diego. It's a beautiful place, the climate is great, and as much as I hate Long Island I'd never want to live there. At least the homeless people here aren't running rampant. I'll never give them money, I donate to the poor at Church and let the Church distribute it as they see fit.

We have a ton of homeless here. It is a combination of the weather and the city enabling them. It has gotten to the point where downtown Santa Barbara is a no-go zone for me now. Walking down State St I am constantly harassed for money. I don't give them anything anymore. One time I bought some food for someone asking for a burger and as soon as I gave it to him he threw it on the ground in disgust. I have an auto donation setup through Amazon Smile to Direct Relief International. That is my good deed in addition to donating to the CA State Otter fund on my taxes every year.

It's not bad in my rural "village"

I volunteer at a food pantry and donate old clothing etc from my work the disabled Veterans place 1/2 mile from my place
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

What do you mean how they allow it? There's really not much they can do. Supreme court has said pan handling is basically an exercise of people's 1st amendment rights.

I was at the train station once eating lunch and some guy came up to me asking for bus money as he was stranded in town. I told him to go to traveler's aid which is right across the street, they help stranded travelers. He didn't know what to make of that and then just moved on to another table with the same story.

Remember, if you're homeless, you'd be home now.

Saw a woman in a velcro temporary ankle cast at one turnpike exit then saw her 14 miles north the next day, and I'm not sure the cast was on the same foot!

It helped to ride a commuter van that stops at multiple park n' rides.

They could, and should, make it illegal to pass any object from a vehicle stopped/ standing in a lane of traffic, even waiting for a red light. Call it a road safety/ distracted driving law. Set up cute cops as panhandlers and write tickets. Should pass 1st amendment muster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back