'05 Impala front wheel "squeal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had this "squeal" sound for a about 1 month or a bit more now.
Had NEW rotors on all corners with pads about 1 week ago, noise still there !! Fronts we're not that bad but i got them done anyway,rears we're not working anymore.
Lately it's been 20 mph and less, take some turns fairly tight and it get's LOUDER and can go away..or not.(just like i never had the brakes replaced).
Saturday i rocked the car by hand back and forth, found a squeal noise passenger side worse than drivers, alot worse. Now by "looking" around i seem to hear it not from the brakes while rocking the car but the axle (?), could it be from a bad axle or going bad??
It still has winter tires on it but changing them next week to the General RT43 tires(it's a cash flow issue).
Odd that it can (but not always) go away if i hit a bump..like something shifted.
Confused yet lol,i'm puzzled.
I can start it and crawl forwards OR backwards and i hear that squeal.
It's NOT any sort of scraping like a bad pad indicator would make. Like a wet rubber shoe on tile flooring.
Funny thing...if i take a turn in a parking lot and go over those parking lot stripes the front tires can make that squeal sound even on dry days.
Lost..i am so i am here for any direction to go.
Car run flawlessly so i keep it,can't hear/feel it run most of the time! Almost 64,000 on it, i like to maintain it as best as i can.
(Rust at the lower front panels is about it).
Input ?? Thanks friends !!!

Originally Posted By: Lee4212

Saturday i rocked the car by hand back and forth, found a squeal noise passenger side worse than drivers, alot worse. Now by "looking" around i seem to hear it not from the brakes while rocking the car but the axle (?), could it be from a bad axle or going bad??

A wheel bearing could be going away which would be common on these at that mileage, it could be a strut bearing/mount or rusted and touching brake shield which is also pretty common.
CV axles usually make clicking noises when turning (outside joint) or clunking and vibration (inside joint).

Hubs are a common issue on GM FWD. I check mine every oil change. Put the front end on jack stands and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and shake. Any play at all and the hub is bad. Easy DIY job.

I would put the car up on jack stands and spin the wheels by hand. If you don't find the problem then run the car while up on stands and have someone turn the wheel.

THANKS for the input folks. I will see the mechanic that did the work and go from there. I'll keep ya posted.

I found the noise myself with my mechanics stethoscope. it is coming from the hub bearing sooo. i guess i'll need to get both sides done. Price range ?? No abs. Base car.

Get quality hubs like the SKF X tracker at Rock Auto about $120 ea. the most important thing to long life with these units is proper CV axle nut torque, if some monkey uses an impact (which too many of them like to do) life will be significantly shortened.

This is a very easy job to do but the three bolts holding the hub on may have red loctite from the factory if original and will need a little heat from even a propane torch to break the glue bond. Once broken the bolts come out easily.
Do not skimp or try to save when buying these hubs, cheap ones will put you on an endless replacement cycle and cost a lot more in the long run.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1839294&cc=1431091&jsn=532

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back