Wagner thermoquiet friction code

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just installed a set of thermoquiet pads on my mother-in-law's Cadillac Escalade. These were front pads with the part number qc785. I ordered them from Rock Auto. The friction code on them was FE. It doesn't bother me much but most the other ones I have seen have been FF or higher. What have you seen on your thermoquiets that you've had?

They are codes that describe the friction coefficient when cold and hot.

Premium pads used to be FF, but now GG pads are common. EE pads are low end.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
This counts as the "learn something new everyday" for me today...

Agreed, I work at a parts store and never knew this.

Originally Posted By: djb
They are codes that describe the friction coefficient when cold and hot.

Premium pads used to be FF, but now GG pads are common. EE pads are low end.

GG are confined to ceramic pads. Des not mean anything when it comes to braking performance.
For example, most Japanese cars, family vehicles, come with ceramic pads and GG codes. BMW M3 with regular brakes comes with FF pads. Go figure which one brakes better.
I had Akebono on my VW CC with GG code. Took them down after 5K and will never in my wildest dreams think of buying them again.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
What do these codes mean?

pad_codes_small1069448845.jpg

Last edited:
I recently did the rear brakes on my '97 Tracer commuter and took a pic. Now since I've read this thread I can see FF on the pad. I guess the $4.54 set of RockAuto wholesaler closeout pads are pretty good lol.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
This counts as the "learn something new everyday" for me today...

Same here....

Who does the testing?

Who publishes the results? Where?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

GG are confined to ceramic pads. Des not mean anything when it comes to braking performance.

I had Akebono on my VW CC with GG code. Took them down after 5K and will never in my wildest dreams think of buying them again.

Same here ... I have some high $$$ ceramic brake pads on my F150

NO BRAKE DUST on the wheels, but they TEAR UP the new rotors and I don't like how "slippery" they feel.

"Edge codes" can provide some interesting information, but the friction code alone is about as useful as UTQG tire ratings...in other words, quite limited, and not something which should entirely drive the decision process when shopping for pads.

They both provide only an approximation of specific performance characteristics, under a specific set of controlled circumstances.

They don't account for other performance characteristics, nor necessarily correlate with real world driving performance, and are far from the complete story.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
"Edge codes" can provide some interesting information, but the friction code alone is about as useful as UTQG tire ratings...in other words, quite limited, and not something which should entirely drive the decision process when shopping for pads.

They both provide only an approximation of specific performance characteristics, under a specific set of controlled circumstances.

They don't account for other performance characteristics, nor necessarily correlate with real world driving performance, and are far from the complete story.

I only trust the edge code to provide me some traceability back to who made the pad and a reasonable expectation with how a pad will perform(friction coefficient).

With that said, we all go gaga over FG/GG rated pads, and Wagner's ThermoQuiets are almost always FG/GG rated for their friction coefficient. But I've been disappointed in them in all but 2 trucks I've installed them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back