NASAs latest finds on Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/06/0...nouncement.html

There's a regular, predictable cycle of atmospheric methane.

Quote:
The Curiosity rover is providing additional details of Mars' methane, scientists confirmed Thursday. The rover has identified "a repeatable, identifiable pattern in the methane measurement," said Chris Webster, senior research fellow at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. This, he explained, could be "key to unlocking the mysteries associated with Mars methane."

Quote:
NASA’s Curiosity Mars rover has found organic molecules on Mars, the space agency revealed in a major announcement Thursday.

During a press conference at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Goddard, Md., and NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., scientists noted that the molecules provide fresh insight into the Red Planet.

“We found organic molecules in rocks from an ancient lake bed,” explained Jen Eigenbrode, research scientist at Goddard. A variety of molecules were identified, she added.

The rocks are billions of years old, according to NASA.

Note, neither NASA or I are saying anything about little green men.

Maybe Im wrong, but I was kind of under the impression that Mars's ice caps go through a decent freeze/thaw cycle, and that it was established that there was methane Carbon Dioxide in them.

"Organic molecules"can mean a pretty broad range of things...

Last edited:
It is great news that the Rover is chugging along 6 yrs later. Must be the oil. I've been meaning to read about the findings. Maybe the methane came from space as it is theorized Earth gained water from collisions with space ice. If I were king, I would be exploring the oceans, not Mars. JHRZ, Yah The polar caps show there is a heat cycle. Organic means there is carbon in the molecules. Haz methane, haz carbon..

Last edited:
It doesn't prove anything but that is the wrong way to look at it, because what it does is it doesn't disprove the possibility of (microbial) life, and if not now, then the theory that life (perhaps more complex) once existed on Mars.

Why people believe this nonsense is beyond me. People are never going to wake up... the masses are getting dumber and NASA's CGI/augmented reality is getting better. Oh well.

Landing and controlling a radio controlled car 140 million miles away... ok. Whatever. This is after guiding a rocket through tens of millions of miles of deep vacuum / infinite space. I am not buying it. Time to wake up.

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
Why people believe this nonsense is beyond me. People are never going to wake up... the masses are getting dumber and NASA's CGI/augmented reality is getting better. Oh well.

Landing and controlling a radio controlled car 140 million miles away... ok. Whatever. This is after guiding a rocket through tens of millions of miles of deep vacuum / infinite space. I am not buying it. Time to wake up.

Here you go bud:

Hmm... Which troll are you?

Anyway should be interesting when LIGO fires up again. The last event, the neutron star collisions which were actually observed made it pretty definitively that gravitational waves are real, although the previous 5 events with black hole collisions made the point earlier.

Still waiting to hear about Tabby's star or the alien megastructure. That's the most extreme possibility, that some alien civilization is building a Dyson's sphere or swarm. Probably just some unknown phenomenon, but it's a been a mystery for a long time.

For interesting science reading, I like to follow Ethan Siegel, he writes about interesting science topics.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ethansiegel/#6f111cb3683e

Hard to believe this country can produce people this dense.

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Is mars flat too?

Originally Posted By: billt460

There are hundreds of thousands of these types in the US. The "deniers" existence is a testament to our terrible education system that unfortunately supplies too many people with just enough fragmented, incomplete knowledge to give them some very silly opinions and beliefs about the world (especially in combination with alcohol or drug use).

Last edited:
I think he probably just lived in Kansas too long. From a purely topographic perspective, that could make one believe the entire Earth is flat.
laugh.gif

OK Andy, if the Earth is flat, and NASA is lying, then what am I looking at when I see Mars itself as a red point of light amongst the stars?

How do you explain its retrograde motion when viewed against the rest of the celestial objects?

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Originally Posted By: billt460

There are hundreds of thousands of these types in the US. The "deniers" existence is a testament to our terrible education system that unfortunately supplies too many people with just enough fragmented, incomplete knowledge to give them some very silly opinions and beliefs about the world (especially in combination with alcohol or drug use).

people believing that the earth is flat, in the 21st century,is really sad -- but not surprising.many believe that the earth "came about" in 4004 bc.a few believe that st.tom of new England is not the goat.
someone mentioned the moon landing. a reflector was placed on the moon, and can actually measure, precisely, the distance to the moon, using lasers. the reflector was not placed there by something in the heavens.
people believing in oddball things make the world go around.life would be boring, if we all thought the same way.

The Sun the Moon, all the visible Planets and Stars are clearly spherical when observed by naked eye and telescopes.... and you think the Earth is flat

Originally Posted By: cjcride
The Sun the Moon, all the visible Planets and Stars are clearly spherical when observed by naked eye and telescopes.... and you think the Earth is flat

I'm pretty sure he's just a troll. Hard to believe that people can use a computer/phone and still really think the earth is flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back