2018 Ford 3.5L Ecoboost PFDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2018 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with PFDI. I am assuming the port injection will help with valve deposits.

So what oil do you think would work good? Ford calls for 5w-30.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Danno
If it was my truck, and I owned it for the long run, PP or Mobil 1 5W-30 and change at 5,000 miles.
Leased? Go with the OLM and Supertech 5W-30.

Yes I bought it.

The ecoboost engines have produced stellar UOAs on Castrol's line up of synthetics, especially Magnatec. I've used castrol for the last few years with 12 month/5k ocis and have had great luck. Used Belgium Castrol 0w-30/40 and Edge EP 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Danno
If it was my truck, and I owned it for the long run, PP or Mobil 1 5W-30 and change at 5,000 miles.
Leased? Go with the OLM and Supertech 5W-30.
Too thin and they give the highest metal uoas.

Castrol Magnatec 5/30.
Follow the OLM.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4628650/Re:_17_F150_3.5_v2_Eco,_9632_m#Post4628650

Magnatec is semi syn, correct? Edge is the full syn?

Any issues with using the Edge? I will most likely follow the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Magnatec is semi syn, correct? Edge is the full syn?

Any issues with using the Edge? I will most likely follow the OLM.
Why would there be issued using EDGE. Magnatec is now "full" syn..Whatever oil meets The Ford spec will work.

Ford’s OLM is pretty accurate, taking idle time and heavy use into account. These motors seem to rid themselves of break-in metals between 10,000-15,000 miles, so I say run a 5,000 mile cycle once you’re past 10,000 miles and see how it looks. If oil life and performance seems to align with the OLM, then go from there. I see no reason to stray from 5W-30 or any brand that meets Ford’s specs unless a OLM suggests otherwise.

My experience has been M1 sheared below spec on my 1st gen EB, but there hasn’t been any increase in wear metals. I’ve run 3 cycles of Schaeffer’s full synthetic 5W-30 and wasn’t that impressed. Once I finish my current M1, I’m got a bunch of Magnatec to use.

Valvoline Advanced full syntetic 5W30 has a pretty high HTHS and low Noack. Two things I look for. It's also dexos 1, Gen 2 and SN Plus rated.

There's a lot of good 5W30 oils out there.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Is it my lousy laptop sound card or did that engine sound worse after the oil change?

I'm currently running Valvoline Synpower in dad's SHO with the same engine. Changed the oil at about 1000 miles and again at 4000. Next OCI it'll probably get Magnatec. The key is to run premium fuel and give it a few WOT's when out and about.

Magnatec: Synthetic oil at blend pricing.

dlundblad The key is to run premium fuel and give it a few WOT's when out and about. [/quote said:
It is designed to run on regular fuel. Why run premium fuel? Does WOT stand for "Wide Open Throttle"?

Originally Posted By: wemay
OP
Watch the video CT8 posted.

I did, but unless I missed it, he never said which brand oil.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'm currently running Valvoline Synpower in dad's SHO with the same engine. Changed the oil at about 1000 miles and again at 4000. Next OCI it'll probably get Magnatec. The key is to run premium fuel and give it a few WOT's when out and about.

Magnatec: Synthetic oil at blend pricing.

Yes I am a firm believer of building plenty of cylinder psi often. Though I see no reason to use premium fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back