Ester oil change-partial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a first time ester user.
This is a Suzuki 90Deg twin liquid cooled cycle engine 1037cc variety. Six hundred mile first service, replaced the factory oil (said to be conventional) with Yamalube blended synthetic 10w-40.

I did not like results. On this bike, the sudden appearance of audible idle hammer following the first oil change is a well discussed subject a lot of owners report. Not actually harmful. Just an annoying, unwanted, and not uncommon idle knock sound that comes and goes at idle.
I did not like it. I hated it immediately. That was yesterday.

Today I pulled the drain plug and drained out everything that would come out. Didn't change the horizontally mounted filter. What drained out was about 80% of the oil capacity.
Replaced it with Bel Rey Synthetic Ester Blend. 15w-50

Took a long ride and everything behaved beautifully. Engine like silk, shifted perfectly smooth. (wet clutch)
And no noticeable Idle Hammer.

Was it okay to end up with about an 80/20 mixture? The two are compatible?
I take it 2-3000 miles is well within reason for range on this oil in this application?
The oil weight will come down before cold weather returns here to SE WI
thanks,

I'm not one of the regulars, but in my opinion, your bike should be fine. Iv'e been changing oil in motorcycles for over 50 years. The compatibility of different oils being mixed stopped being a problem a long time ago. A lot of times the noises you hear in your engine are not caused by the oil. Any synthetic oil you put in your motor is going to be just fine. I would just follow Yamaha's recommendation of type (weight) of oil.

You will be fine, no problems with the mix.

I too like heavier oils such as 50 grade or even 60 grade in my wet-clutch motorcycles.

Most all oils are blends of some sort or another..10w oils are good to at least 0*f are you riding at below 0*f?

Good to know.
Never having heard of ester oil to begin with, I picked it off the cycle dealer shelf based just on the weight I wanted to try, and the Bel Rey claim it was motorcycle and Thumper oil.

And no, not below zero. Below freezing yes, but not below zero. Unless we're talking Centigrade.
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Lrobby99
I am a first time ester user.
This is a Suzuki 90Deg twin liquid cooled cycle engine 1037cc variety. Six hundred mile first service, replaced the factory oil (

That's an interesting bike:

maxresdefault.jpg

I had a 2008 DL1000 Vstrom. Gobs of power but heavy for anything much more than fire roads. I rode about 90% street so it worked for me. I used Rotella T4 in mine with no problems, but that was 10 years ago. I did change the oil in my Harley Dyna Saturday and went from Valvoline Vr1 to Redline 20w50. I’m “ester curious”, so we’ll see what happens.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I had a 2008 DL1000 Vstrom. Gobs of power but heavy for anything much more than fire roads. I rode about 90% street so it worked for me. I used Rotella T4 in mine with no problems, but that was 10 years ago. I did change the oil in my Harley Dyna Saturday and went from Valvoline Vr1 to Redline 20w50. I’m “ester curious”, so we’ll see what happens.

"ester curious"
Now that's a good one.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I did change the oil in my Harley Dyna Saturday and went from Valvoline Vr1 to Redline 20w50. I’m “ester curious”, so we’ll see what happens.

My brother runs Red Line 10W30 (the automotive bottles, not the m/c label) in his Dyna to excellent effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back