01 Audi TT Quattro $6k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at this on Monday. In my quest to find a low cost sports car, I came across this. Seems like a good deal to me. Like in my mustang thread where I got lots of good info, I’m looking to see if anyone knows of any potential issues this model has. I know this car isnt the fastest in the world but seems it would be adequate for me. How is this thing in the corners?
Thank you again guys

Originally Posted By: pda1122
Looking at this on Monday. In my quest to find a low cost sports car, I came across this. Seems like a good deal to me. Like in my mustang thread where I got lots of good info, I’m looking to see if anyone knows of any potential issues this model has. I know this car isnt the fastest in the world but seems it would be adequate for me. How is this thing in the corners?
Thank you again guys

Hah, well for starters that can’t be a 2.0 turbo. The first generation TT was a 1.8T or a 2.8 VR6. Avoid the turbo model, they were known as bad oil sludgers and go through coil packs regularly. Not the most dependable cars. The VR6 option is more solid but you do want to make sure the timing chain tensioner has been done on it or pay to have it done yourself. The best resource to learn about these cars is a website called VW Vortex. Google your way to different threads about 1.8T reliability. VW Golf and Jetta of the same era used these same engines. Lots of good info on that site but you’ll have to dig for it a big since Audi/VW have released different engines since then, including a *new* 1.8T engine like two years ago or so that is NOT the same engine at all. So make sure the stuff you read is a little older and pertains to this TT in question and not a 2017 Jetta or something.

The first-gen TT is a gorgeous car, but mechanically, it is a money pit, just like the Mk4 Golf/Jetta it's based on, but a little worse because some of the parts may cost even more.

You could get a very nice MKV GTI for that money and a whole lot more everyday livability with plenty of "sport".

Like most old cars VW/Audi's need attention, and can get expensive fast unless you DIY.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Like most old cars VW/Audi's need attention, and can get expensive fast unless you DIY.

01.gif

Don't listen to these VW haters, the 1.8 has insane potential and the MK4 platform itself is solid as a rock. Good for high mileage and corrosion resistant.

I think the TT got the better parts so it avoided some of the problems, and would probably get better maintenance especially early on. I would get as good a condition one as I could now, they do not exist in scrapyards.

Pre-2003 MK4 had bad rear axle bushings, but they might have been different on the TT as the control arm bushings were TT specific. I am not sure if they had the same window problems as other pre-2003 MK4s. If it has survived this long I will bet the engine is ok; the sludge clogging the oil pick-up would usually smoke the mill. I would change the pick up tube when you get it just to be safe.

MK4s are awesome but their reputation has been ruined by people who treated them like Toyota Corollas and never serviced them.

Last edited:
Beautiful car. On one hand, if a guy doesn't know what engine is in his TT.... hmmm. On the other, if it checks out for you and you point out it isn't a mighty turbo you might get it cheaper.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Hah, well for starters that can’t be a 2.0 turbo. The first generation TT was a 1.8T or a 2.8 VR6.
2.8 VR6 was never available in a TT.
3.2 VR6 was available in later years, but not in 2001.

I don't think the engine is as big of a deal in VWs and Audi's, they may be solid, the problem is the rest of the car.

Great driving, handling, performance, but the rest of the car? I'm not saying anything else.

Looks good, and the 225 Quattro is the one to have. Fat Five wheels are a plus.

Mechanically simple and reliable if unmodified and looked after.

nice find. maintenance is key of course. my heart is set out to find a 20th anniversary GTI all stock and unadulterated.

There was never a V6 in the early cars, just low boost and high boost 1.8ts. These are great engines as long as they have been maintained. At this age and only 80k Id imagine hes done the bare minimum in upkeep, as in doing what failed and nothing preventatively. At this age miles Id question the timing belt/water pump, if any or all of the PCV has been replaced, if the haldex and diff fluids were done, and when the last major service was. Youre probably right in the sweet spot for suspension replacement time, shocks, upper arms etc. Have the car inspected by a qualified shop for any ideas, and ask the owner about timing belt or suspension work. If they both have not been done, it would be about 1000-1200 for the timing belt, plus nows the time for a major service while its all apart, and springs shocks and upper control arms could easily be 1500. They are great cars, we see some over 200k, my 1.8t has 155k on it an burns no oil, but its not always a cheap ride to hitting the 200k mark. Cars that sit and have lower miles usually need more work, esoecailly from deterioration of rubber and gaskets. Have a PPI done, and use whatever they find to negotiate

"nice find. maintenance is key of course. my heart is set out to find a 20th anniversary GTI all stock and unadulterated."

My buddy just sold his blue one, 56k on it, for 15!

Last edited:
If its the 1.8T as some members are suggesting they had some sludge issues, so that would be a concern for me. If maintained properly it may not be an issue on this specific car. Just something to keep in mind.

The sludge issues were primarily on the longitudinally-mounted 1.8t engines. They had smaller sumps.

The 225 has a bigger sump and the engine itself is overbuilt with a larger turbo, two intercoolers, oil squirters, tougher pistons, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back