A/C condensate line not dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I haven't noticed any water coming out of my condensate line for a week or two, and even though it's been dry I feel like there should be some discharge. The furnace and coil are in the attic and I don't want to climb up there. Can I try hooking my shop vac to the line outside and see if that works?

I feel like I could make something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Diyvac-%C2%AE-DV4/dp/B01LYZ6REM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528579896&sr=8-1&keywords=diyvac

I take my garden hose and stick it into the drip line and push water up the line for maybe 1 full minute. You won't believe the stuff that come out. I do this 2X per year. Ed

If the primary drain is clogged and the system is generating condensate, you should eventually see it coming out of the secondary/emergency drain. If it was installed correctly, the emergency drain should intentionally be highly obvious when it's dripping.

No humidity, mine doesn’t drip either.

I bought a new indoor/outdoor thermometer last week and it displays humidity percentage. 28% in my house and the outdoor just says “LL%” because it can’t read below 10%.

Here’s the Weather app

I just tried using the hose from the shop vac and sealing it with my hand, nothing. I think it was sealing since you could hear the motor straining.

Nothing coming from the secondary drain, there's a huge pan under the unit that would catch any overflow and discharge from there. I also stuck a cheap little battery powered water alarm in the pan and haven't heard anything from it, but it might be dead since it's been up there 3 years.

Even though it's super dry, there's usually a drip. I would think that showering and cooking with boiling water would generate some indoor humidity.

Other than leaking out, is there any damage to the coil if water collects inside?

At 5% Rh your car ac wouldn't drip. If the suction line is cold to the touch at outside unit it's ok. Suction line is the larger insulated line, smaller is the liquid line that runs warm to almost hot. With a thermometer 18* to 24* across the indoor coil is normal.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I just tried using the hose from the shop vac and sealing it with my hand, nothing. I think it was sealing since you could hear the motor straining.

Nothing coming from the secondary drain, there's a huge pan under the unit that would catch any overflow and discharge from there. I also stuck a cheap little battery powered water alarm in the pan and haven't heard anything from it, but it might be dead since it's been up there 3 years.

Even though it's super dry, there's usually a drip. I would think that showering and cooking with boiling water would generate some indoor humidity.

Other than leaking out, is there any damage to the coil if water collects inside?

It's either sealing, or clogged possibly. Had that happen to my grandmothers house in Mississippi. Mold and gunk built up in the trap and water began to travel along the ceiling and into the hallway. The water had overflowed the pan under the unit. I had to crawl in the attic and cut out the old trap, but above the trap I put a threaded fitting on there so every spring I would put 1/2 a gallon of bleach through it. I know it sucks to crawl in the attic when it's hot, but it was necessary.

Is it cooling?
What is the temp coming out of the vents?
What is the temp coming out of the outdoor unit vs air temp?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Is it cooling?
What is the temp coming out of the vents?
What is the temp coming out of the outdoor unit vs air temp?

It's cooling just fine, I have the thermostat set at 73 and it's well over 100 outside. I just feel like it used to drip a bit, even in low humidity conditions.

At 5 percent humidity it's not going to. Also it's not supposed to drip from the roof, the primary drain is usually one of the sinks in the house.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
You car is leaking. Wait, it sweat from all that horsepower

This is the house A/C, but the car got me in trouble today too. I got mad at someone in a parking lot, pushed the gas in 1/4 of the way and left two 20' marks on the parking lot. Totally unintentional and it was embarrassing.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Marco620
You car is leaking. Wait, it sweat from all that horsepower

This is the house A/C, but the car got me in trouble today too. I got mad at someone in a parking lot, pushed the gas in 1/4 of the way and left two 20' marks on the parking lot. Totally unintentional and it was embarrassing.
So you got mad and roasted the tires! Ha Ha ha

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
So you got mad and roasted the tires! Ha Ha ha

LOL yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back