My kitchen transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll keep it short and let the pics speak for me.
Painted cabinets white. New granite counters. Scrubbed grout back to original color. Changed the light fixtures.

Nice- livened it up a bunch and no clutter.
I have been there- I had to do my whole house over- I did everything but the fiasco was cleaning
the grout from the previous owners nastiness.

The barn wood look on the cabinet end looks great.

I'll have to make sure my wife doesn't see this post!

Great job!
11.gif

Looks really good...I just did the same with an inherited townhouse. In my case, going from 1979 to 2018 can be startling. Every remodel/renovation I see here is either white or gray cabinet paint and a variation of "greige" for some, if not all, the walls. You're right in line with the trend.

The speckled/marbled quality of the countertops definitely softens the look a bit which is nice versus solid black against white which can be pretty severe.

What brand and type of paint did you use on the cabinets?
And did you follow a specific procedure

Originally Posted By: walterjay
looks good Conversion Varnish for finish?? that would be my choice.

Looks good...the old counter tops looked good enough to keep imo. The light in the kitchen should have been flush with the ceiling,...not the same as the dining room. But painting the cabinets surely made a difference.

You can't fool me....pictures of the "before" were taken at night.

The "afters" were taken during the day.

NO WORK was done. It was all in the lighting to fool us.

(good job)

Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: walterjay
looks good Conversion Varnish for finish?? that would be my choice.

I, too, would like to learn more of the products and procedures used by the OP. From what I have studied to date, you have to use high quality procedures and products, leaving nothing to chance. Cleaning/degreasing, sanding/filling, priming, and finally finish coat application is no weekend project. I'm thinking of buying new doors and keeping the original boxes.

The conversion varnish that dave123 mentions - are there now DIY friendly conversion varnishes available?? Years ago it seems that you needed a sprayer and advanced knowledge and techniques to not botch it up.

I assume you painted them in-place? Sprayed or brush? Does the paint look like it was done at the factory?

Or all new cabinets. White seems to be the in color on HGTV shows.

Looks great. I also didn't see anything wrong with the "before" pictures. Actually, I thought at first those were the "after" photos as everything looked attractive.

Fine either way imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back