Kentucky, before drugs and obesity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gedney-house-and-car-1964.jpg

giphy.gif

Although they looked poor, it's easy to see happiness, ingenuity, teamwork, and family. I would be willing to bet that the younger ones in those pictures, either went to school or got good jobs due to truly knowing how to work. There's no telling what those guys could have done if they had a properly equipped garage. Doing the way the were doing will make you a great mechanic if you didn't lose your sanity first.

edit: I didn't even notice the "rack" they were using. I bet they could have gotten some ramps or floor jack/jack stand combo somewhere. Nothing is cheap if it cost you your life.

Last edited:
I see ingenuity, teamwork, and family but I don't see happiness.

Photo #2. I think you would see more but the photographer was likely considered an outsider. BTW, Roll the windows down. Roll ALL the windows down.

Navin R. Johnson's going to be sending more money soon... his lady friend promised him some sort of job. Must be his special purpose.

I am a Kentuckian, born and raised here. Drugs and obesity are a NATIONAL problem not a Kentucky problem. Some of the biggest drug users live in big cities and have higher incomes, it effects ALL levels. Obesity is national, not a Kentucky problem, go to any mall etc. no matter where you live, it is THERE.

Some of the hardest working people you will ever meet are in Kentucky.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
I am a Kentuckian, born and raised here. Drugs and obesity are a NATIONAL problem not a Kentucky problem. Some of the biggest drug users live in big cities and have higher incomes, it effects ALL levels. Obesity is national, not a Kentucky problem, go to any mall etc. no matter where you live, it is THERE.

+1 on that!

Common sense in those days was far more common too.

While I enjoyed the classic B&W photos, I could have done without the condescending author's comments. Country people are not all backward & stupid. And yeah, they grew most of what they ate. Soda water didn't come in 3L jugs: You drank it out of a single glass bottle you bought for five cents at the grocery store or gas station.

Finally, neither of my grandmothers would waste a shotgun shell on a chicken. They'd grab it by the neck and wring it off without thinking twice about it. Eggs were served for breakfast and the hens for dinner! The double-barrel breech-loader was used on the varmits trying to get in the chicken coup. I still have that gun.

Geesh.....what an idiot.

This Xs 1000.

I will add that some of the nicest people you will ever meet are in or from Ky. Breed and born in the bluegrass state.

One of the "sad things" about photo essays like these is that the author/photographer HAS to say something.

When that happens inaccuracy and pomposity are never too far away.

Notice the absence of any facts like how long any of the cars were there or if any vehicle was ever moved along. Also, NO MENTION of income (a good way to buy car parts) etc.

Also, were any of the men wearing earrings? (Ha-Ha). Believe me, high fructose corn syrup was already on their grocers shelves. The "food industry" was just learning how to texturize that evil stuff to "enhance" other food products.

Add a TV and you've got the sedentary lifestyle we all adore. Hey, maybe they can take up golf for exercise...start a trend!

I fully agree. I met some of the nicest people when i was in Morehead KY and enjoyed the Winchester rifle factory. Motorguy: have you had a soda named Ale8One? I enjoyed a few of those when i was there

Interesting, but...

" It might as well be a third world country, and a very poor one at that."

Do me a favour...anyone who says that hasn't seen much third world poverty, and apparently can't imagine it.

Pretty much by definition, a poor third worlder wouldn't have a 56 Ford in 1964

Or in 1972.

Or AT ALL.

And they had the luxury of SPACE. I could use some of that.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
" It might as well be a third world country, and a very poor one at that."

Do me a favour...anyone who says that hasn't seen much third world poverty, and apparently can't imagine it.

I think this is worth reading and rereading. Staying out of political matters, despite some of our grousing, we're doing pretty well in North America. With respect to the photo essay, that type of life was much more common years ago, and very common around here. There still are a few families I've known over the years that live a more rustic lifestyle, and they're happy for it. Incidentally, they don't worry about the price of electricity, campaign for or against green energy, or even notice when the internet goes down. They don't grouse or notice if the grocery store doesn't have fresh mangoes in stock, since that's not what their life is about.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth

This Xs 1000.
I will add that some of the nicest people you will ever meet are in or from Ky.

I have also met some V E R Y VERY pretty girls from Kentucky!!

That region of US suffers from obesity. It may be lower socioeconomic car tainting the numbers , I am unclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back