History repeating itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember years back when I first discovered BITOG back in 02-03 maybe (it was linked from 3si.org,a 3000GT/Stealth forum),everyone was recommending thicker grades (10W40,15W40,15W50,20W50,etc). Then the shift to thinner oils took over (0W20,5W20). Now thicker oils (5W/10W30-0W40) are again getting recommended for cars that spec 20wts.

Are people actually finding that thicker is protecting better? Or does thicker oil just "feel" better psychologically thinking it's protecting better?

I think I always used thicker oils because I grew up around the old schoolers using them. I've actually gone to thinner oils and favor the results.

Let the discussion begin
laugh.gif

I drove heaps for most of my life. Thick oil is better for worn engines with blowby and fuel dilution. Better protection in an over heat and general engine malaise. The 0W20 is scary to me.

I started with Havoline 30wt. and then 10w40 which was the standard way back when. That shifted to 5w30 and now 0w20. I haven’t had any problems with any of these grades.

The perception that 0w20 is scary or watery is just that. Today’s modern oils perform very well for the task they are assigned to.

Now, if I were to tow a lot, haul heavy loads, or do some serious backcountry four wheeling , then the circumstances have changed and I would take those into consideration when picking a oil.

0w16 is very scary to me.
21.gif

sad when 3-in-1 oil has a higher viscosity

Last edited:
I'm starting to form the opinion that the 'thin' grades favour fuel economy over wear. But I also believe that the differences in wear compared to 'thicker' grades are so slight that they wouldn't be noticed over the typical lifespan of an average vehicle. The rest of the vehicle wears out before the engine does anyway. The company I work for runs about 30 pickups, mix of 1/2 and 3/4 ton, and they all run 5w20. Some of them do a lot of heavy towing as well. We send on average 5/year of them to auction with around 300,000 to 350,000 kms. The engines are always running well, but the rest of the truck is pretty well shot.

Last edited:
Iv'e never owned a vehicle that recommended anything thinner than 5w30 so when and if I ever do it won't be easy putting in that xw20.
eek.gif

Nothing wrong with 5w-30, even in high-mileage vehicles. None of my vehicles have notable leaks or consumption. I don't believe in 10w-40 or 20w-50 in any engine that's running fine with no mechanical issues, though they fly off the shelf at the parts store (many people put them in newer vehicles, it's nuts)

Last edited:
When 5w-30 was released, many thought it would never work, too thin, engines won't last, it'll be a disaster...

It wasn't.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
When 5w-30 was released, many thought it would never work, too thin, engines won't last, it'll be a disaster...

It wasn't.

Those were my thoughts as well when I ran 5w30 for the first time. I got over 300k with two vehicles running that grade.

As long as we conflate “adequate” with “optimal”, without even defining what “adequate” means in the context, all such discussions are doomed to fail.

Originally Posted By: andyd
I drove heaps for most of my life. Thick oil is better for worn engines with blowby and fuel dilution. Better protection in an over heat and general engine malaise. The 0W20 is scary to me.

I don't understand this. You are using 0w20 in 2 vehicles in your sig

I'm about to put HK 5w20 in my 9year old Camry :^)

Will engine blow? Not hardly

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ridiculous we need to start another thick vs. thin thread. That's the history repeating itself here.

Why not throw in MMO or Group designation while you're at it?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
It's ridiculous we need to start another thick vs. thin thread. That's the history repeating itself here.

Agree.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Are people actually finding that thicker is protecting better? Or does thicker oil just "feel" better psychologically thinking it's protecting better?

For automotive use and the level of care a typical BITOGer gives their vehicles, I don't think going to a thicker viscosity range over OEM recommendation has any advantage other than making you feel better.

Heavy-duty use or for hot/heavy used outdoor power equipment, I do think thicker oils have their place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Agree.

Oh, Come on guys,

It's a slow summer.

Guys want some variety.

A little hen pecking "my thick is beter than your thin" would get the boys work better..

EVERY subject gets repeated on a discussion forum eventually. The magic of a discussion forum is that new and current data has the chance to be presented. The only other option is to close the discussion format and just replace it all with a search engine.

The same people that get bent over 0w20 and 5w20 are the same people that ream you if you don't follow the owners manual.
Weird. I use 5w20 in just about everything and have well over 2 million miles doing so in various cars.
To me time kills cars not oil. I usually avoid the 0w20 only because the price way back when was a bunch higher. Not
so much if any now.

Use whatever thrills you. It is America after all.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
The same people that get bent over 0w20 and 5w20 are the same people that ream you if you don't follow the owners manual.
Weird. I use 5w20 in just about everything and have well over 2 million miles doing so in various cars.
To me time kills cars not oil. I usually avoid the 0w20 only because the price way back when was a bunch higher. Not
so much if any now.

Use whatever thrills you. It is America after all.

Spot on. Everyone is free to use whatever grade of oil they choose. Trying to convince others by spouting conspiracies or as a well respected member stated the other day, “Neanderthal bone throwing”, just pollutes this forum.

Change is eventual. We could go back to hand crank windows and pullout chokes but I’d suspect very few would.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Let the discussion begin
laugh.gif

For me it's because I "feel" better.

Take the 2005 Ranger (see my sig):

Over the 85k miles since I bought it new, I've used 0w, 5w-20, 0w, 5w and 10w-30 oils ranging from Royal Purple to SuperTech. What is in their now is what will stay. The gas mileage log, butt dyno, butt vibration sensor, and ability to climb hills without down shifting says it all. Oh, and I beat the pants off a Tahoe the other day after giving him a lead start!

Very, very scientific...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back