Purolators- Napa- Motorcraft- AC Delco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok- so I’ve read many old threads that Purolator is great, which was always my impression. I’ve seen some newer threads that seem to indicate this no longer the case, but I am unsure why?

I also hear Purolator makes Motorcraft, which I also perceive to be a good filter.

I had previously thought highly of AC Delco as well, but I hear now they are using e cores (plastic instead of metal) and while I don’t completley understand the significance of this, or why it is detrimental, enough members seem to scorn them that I am happy to do so as well. I would like a little education though if anyone would be kind enough to share some wisdom on the topic.

I know WIX and K/N are the supposed best, but with as many cars as I have, and as rigorous as I am about on time service, I don’t think the extra cost would be justified with 5k OCI.

For this same reason I usually stick with conventional or synblend oil, not because I am unaware that full synth is better- but because at 5k- it likely doesn’t matter much.

I have also heard Mobil 1 is not what it used to be, something about red caps and it has lost some quality? I would like to understand what exactly that is, and if I should be concerned?

I use Synth (Mobil 1) in only 1 of my cars, chiefly because the previous owner had been faithfully using it for 14 years, and it does not leak or burn at all- so I figured I’d stick with it. (92 Mercedes 400e)

Last question- is there any actual difference between Napa Silver and Napa Proselect filters?
Are these decent enough for 5k OCI or should I use something else?
Have been favoring Purolators and Motorcraft of late but open to recommendations.

Thanks All!

I would suggest reading a high number of the previous threads in the oil filter section. Your answer will be found in reading them. K&N are not the best... Several Purolator filter models (aka their their regular and tier above that Pureone) have a issue with staying together .. Has had a number of the Motorcraft filters as well.. Fram Ultra is actually the best filter on the market right now.

All of that is available if time is taken to read numerous threads in the oil filter section. Look at the cut and post filters. The pictures tell the story. It would be obvious in short order.

Thank you. Most everything I can find through searching in the subject is at least 3-6 years old, and I wondered if anything has changed during that time.

BBHERO is right. I cut thousands of torn Puro and "made by Puro" junk filters that were torn
frown.gif

Go with WIX, Baldwin or Fram ULTRA/TOUGH GUARD

Originally Posted By: Beatlebob32

Are these decent enough for 5k OCI or should I use something else?

The ProSelect and Silver are absolutely great for 5K intervals. Use with full confidence.

Everyone has their opinions. For me Wix produced filters (ie NAPA Gold) are my go to brand. I certainly would not mind using a Fram XG but I cannot make myself buy the fiber end cap Frams. I don't like the idea, even though I understand it has been improved over time, of a plastic center tube, ie e-cores. For the same, or basically the same money I can go with Wix with coil springs, metal end caps, silicone ADV and metal center tube. Plus in my Subaru as well as GM truck applications they make filters that meet the OEM bypass specs. While the Silver or Proselect are a step down, I would have no hesitation in using them either. Right now I think as a whole, the product offering lineup of Wix is the best bang for the buck.

Years ago I would have said this about Purolator, but with all the torn media on c/p threads; I cannot go there now. With my current fleet I have an ecore and Fram/Honeywell fiber end cap filter installed, only because they were part of a dealer change. When I buy filters, it will be Wix. My 2 cents; YMMV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Beatlebob32
Thank you. Most everything I can find through searching in the subject is at least 3-6 years old, and I wondered if anything has changed during that time.

The search feature on the forum is lacking for sure. There are a lot of posts the past few years that show what filters are hurting in the quality department. Car51 is the most active thread starter, so maybe adding his user name will help the search results.

Go to Google then type in the keywords you want to search for then space and type site:bobistheoilguy.com You'll get all the results you want!

Motorcraft for Ford, and so on down the line, if unsure use OE. M1 filters are what they used to be. There are manufacturing glitches on most brands except Toyota.
laugh.gif

The ecore plastic cage is twice as strong as metal, according to Champ Labs, nothing wrong with it. "They say so, it must be true or they would be sued." ( board consensus)

Ecore center tubes are alot better now then they were when they first came out. Designers learned lessions the hard way instead of in the development lab about wide window spacing that caused media blow through.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Ecore center tubes are alot better now then they were when they first came out. Designers learned lessions the hard way instead of in the development lab about wide window spacing that caused media blow through.

What is the point of bringing that up. What is the purpose.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Wow, maybe because there's talk about Ecore center tubes in this thread. Are you Ok?

Wow, maybe because there's talk about Ecore center tubes in this thread. Are you Ok?

Don't change the subject to me. Maybe it works on some, but I won't be bullied. What was the purpose to talk about the ecore wider ct spacing on filters several years ago? And there were only a few shown defective. I had them come on two used cars I bought and they were fine.
Now they are changed for a long time, yet you choose to still cast doubt on them by bringing up the past. Wondering what that purpose is. You didn't say.

The Ecores were improved? Sounds like a good reason to bring it up! There were isolated instances of cold weather, high viscosity oil causing media blowout on the EARLY Ecore filters-so they made the openings smaller, and packed more media in them. Still not the greatest design ever, but better. Which definitely differentiates them from Purolator-they've been going the other direction...

You really can't figure it out? Seems you're just trying to start an arguement.

I'll spell it out real simple. People are talking about their leariness of Ecore center tubes in this thread, and have been in this forum since the Ecore design came out.

Yes, there certainly were cases of media failures on some filters using Ecore center tubes - quite a few threads about it over the last 5+ years. Just because you didn't see one first hand doesn't mean there weren't cases of the problem.

Why do you think Ecore center tubes have smaller windows now? ... as I said, lessons learned in the field. They saw a design problem and tweaked the design to make them better. People shouldn't worry about Ecore center tubes as much as they do.

What part of this don't you get?

I'll spell it out real simple. People are talking about their leariness of Ecore center tubes in this thread, and have been in this forum since the Ecore design came out.

Yes, there certainly were cases of media failures on some filters using Ecore center tubes - quite a few threads about it over the last 5+ years. Just because you didn't see one first hand doesn't mean there weren't cases of the problem.

Why do you think Ecore center tubes have smaller windows now? ... as I said, lessons learned in the field. They saw a design problem and tweaked the design to make them better. People shouldn't worry about Ecore center tubes as much as they do.

The subject isn't me. The vogue now is to bully people and talk about them when someone can't answer a question.
I already posted about the ecore plastic center tube being 2X stronger than metal, according to them, no lesson needed about them. Somehow I didn't feel the need to revisit what they used to make that had issues. Maybe I am not as talky.
laugh.gif

The subject isn't me. The vogue now is to bully people ...

You do realize that I was agreeing with you - that Ecore center tubes aren't bad these days - read what I said.

Yet you try to twist things into some kind of argument even when I make a valid comment to other people. Who's the bully here? You're trolling and looking to argue for the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back