Not a big selection for my old car :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted a fram tough guard or ultra for my old nova but the only one they make for it is the extra guard which is annoying but at the same time i understand why with it being a 35+ year old car.
My filter part number is CA189 if anyone is interested.

Does it have to be a FRAM?
Purolator also makes an upper line air filter as I am confident that other MFG's do as well. Here is a Purolator list for your car...just as another reference:

http://www.pureoil.com/en/do-it-yourself/online-catalog/filter-lookup/

6 cyl. 250 4.1L, Carb., 1 bbl., (VIN D)
PUROLATOR AIR FILTERS:

PBL15313 Maximum Protection
PL15313 Advance Protection
L15313 Premium Protection

Last edited:
A lot of people substitute the Chevy / GMC truck intake and filter, which is a bit higher and bolts up easily as long as the carb is the same (rochester 2BBl, Quadrajet or Carter Thermo-Quad). Check hood clearance.

There are plenty of aftermarket intake housings for those cars as well, which allows you to run the taller truck filter.

The reason there doesn't seem to be much choice is because GM basically didn't change the filter dimensions for 20 years. One of the reasons why GM pre-fuel injection consumable parts tend to be the least expensive.

Well, that's the one that was always available for it. The common orange one.

I'm lucky enough that I have still have several choices in oil filters for the '52 Chevy DeLuxe.

Fram is one, but also have choices available from Wix, Purolator, Hastings, and Champ/LuberFiner.

I don't believe that the OP is particularly looking for another brand of air filter as they're looking for a higher efficiency filter(TG or ULTRA) at trapping dirt and made with a better media because that's what these are.

Actually the higher efficiency filters are more(if we can call it more) restrictive. How much more restrictive is the question as most air filters already flow more/enough air for any engine. And they'd have to be almost completely clogged(leaves, cottonwood, rodent nest, etc.) for the engine to starve for air.

This is why there are so many folks that are against free flowing/less restrictive air filters in a regular/everyday vehicle as these trap less dirt particles but, flow more air than the engine can use even at WOT...for the everyday ride.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I don't believe that the OP is particularly looking for another brand of air filter as they're looking for a higher efficiency filter(TG or ULTRA) at trapping dirt and made with a better media because that's what these are.

Actually the higher efficiency filters are more(if we can call it more) restrictive. How much more restrictive is the question as most air filters already flow more/enough air for any engine. And they'd have to be almost completely clogged(leaves, cottonwood, rodent nest, etc.) for the engine to starve for air.

This is why there are so many folks that are against free flowing/less restrictive air filters in a regular/everyday vehicle as these trap less dirt particles but, flow more air than the engine can use even at WOT...for the everyday ride.

I operate in a dusty climate during the spring - fall and just wanted something besides basic protection.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What is wrong with the EG?

Originally Posted By: jakewells

I operate in a dusty climate during the spring - fall and just wanted something besides basic protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back