AR handguard heat shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on forearm guards with vs without heat shields? Specifically looking at the mlok free float mid length but a little concerned how it does without a heat shield. Even with relatively ligth range sessions I notice a lot more heat build up with my carbine length AR than other firearms I shoot.

I have always followed the belief that if a barrel is too hot to touch, it is too hot to shoot. I can't imagine how hot you would have to get a barrel before the forend became too hot to handle. Obviously in a military firefight this would not pertain. But that isn't what is happening with firearms at BITOG.

eek.gif

I've always found the aluminum free float hand guards to absolutely SOAK up any heat. They get hot as can be. The plastic carbine double heat-shield ones that are cheap, are actually really good. I routinely warm up my hand guards to way past too hot to hold, at which point I will let it cool or last ditch move my support hand to the magazine to save from burning myself.

True story- AR15 barrels get HOT, even after a few shots. I told a friend not to touch a barrel, as it was likely 300-400 plus degrees and scalding hot. He said, "No way, loo...... OUCH!!!!" as he grabbed the barrel and learned first hand.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've always found the aluminum free float hand guards to absolutely SOAK up any heat. They get hot as can be. The plastic carbine double heat-shield ones that are cheap, are actually really good. I routinely warm up my hand guards to way past too hot to hold, at which point I will let it cool or last ditch move my support hand to the magazine to save from burning myself.

True story- AR15 barrels get HOT, even after a few shots. I told a friend not to touch a barrel, as it was likely 300-400 plus degrees and scalding hot. He said, "No way, loo...... OUCH!!!!" as he grabbed the barrel and learned first hand.

Agreed. Fire a 30 rd. magazine or 2 and rain drops vaporize. Does not have to be rapid fire either.

The lightweight free float handguards do get hot with a few magazines, but they also cool off fast as well.

When it gets too hot to hold you can use gloves. Or if you attach a vertical grip that will solve the problem as well.

It is just the price you pay for the incredible light weight and modularity that the M-LOK style handguards bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back