Is it worth getting Mazda 0W-20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a CX-5, coming up on the first 5000 mile service, the dealer is giving me the first service for free. I figured I'd do that and they would just use whatever bulk oil they have. But after that, I believe they charge $80 for the service, if they are just giving me whatever bulk oil they have, I can get the Mazda 0W-20 with Moly oil for $50 online with the Mazda oil filter and just change it myself.

From what I have read, the oil is supposedly pretty good.

Do other Mazda Skactiv owners notice any difference using Mazda's oil over lets say Castrol or Pennzoil? Like in concerns of MPG or engine noise?

112k on my 12 sky all on 0W20 M1ep 5k intervals clean clean clean never a problem. If wanting OEM look at Zepro eco Medalist Amazon is you friend about 32bucks 5qt jug it is factory fill for Mazda.

I don't think it's worth paying a big premium for Mazda brand oil.
I'd bet that CX-5 (which is one of my favorite vehicles) would last just as long using Supertech 0w20 FS @ under $16 for the 5 qt. jug with a 5K OCI.

In my wife's 2013 2.0 Skyactiv, I run the Mexican oil -5W-30 due to her short trips and fuel dilution issues with a 4-5K OCI. You might want to keep an eye on that depending on your driving style. But under warranty, I would use the factory oil if possible.

Last edited:
No reason to run the Mazda oil. As long as the oil meets the specs called for, run PP, Mobil 1, etc.

QSUD and M1 are both relatively high moly oils if that’s what you’re thinking early in the motors life. My 2.5 Sky liked both.

As Brigadier mentioned, a 30 grade is a good choice to fight dilution. It didn’t hurt my mileage one bit.

Europe

You won't notice any measurable differences in MPG whether you use Mazda, or any other brand.

As for engine noise, I can't speak for Mazda specifically, but in the Q50, my previous fill of PPPP and my current fill of Valvoline Full Synthetic, it is very quiet to the point you don't even hear the engine running even with the radio off.

Unless you can buy Mazda for cheap, it doesn't make sense to use it unless you can acquire it for the same price as off-the-shelf oils you can find at Walmart.

I changed out the factory fill and went with Valvoline. You can run any major brand of oil with no worries.

I changed oil at the 250 mile mark in mine. I did use the mazda with moly for that change as the engine was still breaking in.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
But under warranty, I would use the factory oil if possible.
No, not necessary. Use the cheapest oil that passes there specs. Most 0w20 probably would pass. That what I would do. If using a Mazda oil is what your after, just find that the cheapest some where else. Looks like there good advice on here for that too.

Originally Posted By: NH73
No, not necessary. Use the cheapest oil that passes there specs. Most 0w20 probably would pass. That what I would do. If using a Mazda oil is what your after, just find that the cheapest some where else. Looks like there good advice on here for that too.

I doubt the Mazda dealers even use the factory oil.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I don't think it's worth paying a big premium for Mazda brand oil.
I'd bet that CX-5 (which is one of my favorite vehicles) would last just as long using Supertech 0w20 FS @ under $16 for the 5 qt. jug with a 5K OCI.

+1

Check out Idemitsu Zepro Advanced Moly 0w20 on Amazon . Idemitsu makes a lot of the Japanese OEM and FF oils, including the Mazda 0w20.

The Zepro Advanced Moly is very close to the OEM Mazda 0w20 and may very well be identical to the Mazda 0w20.

But you can use any synthetic 0w20 with no problems.

Fram specifies the shorty 6607 filter, but you may also be able to use the longer 7317 if it fits.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I doubt the Mazda dealers even use the factory oil.

Most do not. Their standard oil is a generic jobber brand and if you choose synthetic for the higher price you might get a major brand. It’s hit and miss.

I want to try 0w40 in my cx-5 but i need the 0w20 receipt for warranty. So for now i'm mixing in a quart of 0w40 with the 0w20 both mobil 1. I guess i could just buy both, keep the receipt and sell all the 0w20 on Craigslist later.

Last edited:

Didn't know it was so difficult to get the right stuff....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QXMJBS?tag=viglink1613794-20

Oh, riiiiiggggghht, Wally World doesn't sell it. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back