How poor were we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were sooo poor, my Parents had to save their money , just to bee poor.

I saw my Mother walking down the street with just one shoe.
I said, "hey Mom, your missing a shoe"
She said, "no, I found a shoe"

(A little off colour)

(This is one of Rodney Dangerfeild's)

"When I was a kid, we were so poor, if I wasn't born a boy I wouldn't have had anything to play with."

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
When I was a kid, we were too poor to even afford tensil for the Christmas tree. We had to wait around for grandpa to sneeze!

If you want, I can hook you up with the song that created that meme...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
When I was a kid, we were too poor to even afford tensil for the Christmas tree. We had to wait around for grandpa to sneeze!

If you want, I can hook you up with the song that created that meme...

Lol, I thought I once heard Rodney Dangerfield say it.

When i grew up we were so poor, homeless people made fun of us.

We were so broke, if somebody ribbed us, all the would get is practice.

When i came home one day and mama was kicking a can down the road, i asked what you doin?, she said movin,

Last edited:
We did OK but, as a child, we always wanted what others had and often we did go without. But, the bills were always paid, food was on the table cloths on our back, shoes on our feet. No AC in the summer but, we always had heat in the winter. Dad & Mom made sure the essentials were taken care of.

My dad was the only income for the household as a self employed auto mechanic. My mom only worked when times were harder but most of the time, she took care of the household...the typical old fashioned homemaker(cooking,cleaning/laundry,shopping,paying bills). Mom & Dad got out when they could but, family vacations were out of the question.

So we were very fortunate to say the least.

Last edited:
I was so poor we couldn't even afford another free box for the second bedroom.

Wymie Jones was one of the warm stove guys at Oxner's Garage. Wymie drove old Chevy ex Bell Telephone trucks. He was a plumber and during prohibition made stills . He also gave me my first chaw of tobacco. My last too. Anyway, the poor part was about a 5$ bill that made it through Brant Rock, bringing subsistence as it passed from one hand to another. Wymie went to work every day to earn 25$. If he made it by 9 AM or midnight. 25$ was the goal.
grin2.gif

I am the youngest of 10. The BABY! We were all breastfed. But when I got there, there was no milk just a pile of teat.

One day while in the third grade, I was so skinny and unfed, I stood up during the beginning of class to look out the window, the teacher marked me absent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back