Powerstroke 6.7 Fuel Rail Filter Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
In need of assistance. When my truck was in the shop for an oil leak I had the Truck Center replace my fuel filters...which I usually do myself...big mistake. Now there is a slow leak up where the canister seats into the frame...looks to be coming out where the knotch is for the mechanical stop. I pulled off and replaced with another o-ring...but still leaking. I have a back up fuel filter housing so will try that tomorrow. Suppose to be leaving Sunday for a trip...now that is in jeapordy if I cannot get fixed. So angry at myself for not doing myself...cannot trust anyone these days.

I don’t think there’s much in common with my 7.3 fuel system so I can’t provide any specific help. Fuel leaks can be deceptive and in my case they’re hardly ever coming from where I think they are. ATF/power steering fluid leaks also do a good job of imitating fuel. Hope you get it figured out before your trip.

Update. Canister looks good. Went and got a third o-ring and used grease instead of diesel motor oil to lube o-ring. No leaking after about 1.5 hours so I think I am good. Shop must have not of lubricated o-ring or was defective. Guess will be using grease instead of motor oil to lube o-ring. Hope everyone is well.

Last edited:
Been a long day..leak came back...so I installed my extra fuel filter canister...so far so good 5+ hours. I got it in case I broke it...ha...more like in case dealer screwed me.

550+ miles later. California to Utah...no leaks. Old canister doesn't look cracked, but certainly had some sort of hair line fracture at the mechanical stop. Guessing used a strap wrench vs socket. Feeling lucky it didn't damage the upper part. Hope everyone is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back