are TPM clones available for late model Camrys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking for advice about tire pressure monitors for late model Camrys.

Lately I have been thinking about getting a low millage (under 10K miles so there is no danger of it have gone too long without an oil change) Camry. One of the things that I am concerned about is that I always have a set (all 4) of snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzacks) mounted on their own rims for any car I have. A couple of times in past winters other cars were sliding into things on ice and our Blizzaks saved the day. Anyhow, our current cars 1985 Olds 88 and 2001 Impala both do not have TPM's. If I were to get a late model Camry, are Clone TPM's available for a winter set of tires on rims, that could be made to match the set the car comes with that would be the non-winter tire set. Or, can the car be programmed by the owner everytime I change tire sets, without having to take it to a dealer and pay an outrageous fee every time I change from winter to summer tires, or from summer to winter tires?

The wheels and Altimax Artics had TPMS monitors installed and the cheesiest but good from 20 feet hubcaps I've ever seen. Got 'em from Town Fair Tire

You can get a Techstream knockoff dongle for a laptop for under $20 that will program new TPMSs and also let you do other factory stuff to late model toyotas.

Late model toyota camry, how late? I don't think tpms sensors became mandatory till 2007. I think back then tpms sensor stems where all metal, where now they're also rubber. Of course I'm just thinking. We had a 2000 mazda, no tpms.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You can get a Techstream knockoff dongle for a laptop for under $20 that will program new TPMSs and also let you do other factory stuff to late model toyotas.

Yep, although I don't know if they've made it out of XP just yet. I'm not a computer geek so I've kept a boatanchor around to run my copy.

I bought a Dorman to replace one sensor and it didn't take. Maybe I typo'd the number, or maybe it was a bad sensor. One of these days I'll get around to fixing it--I just ignore the light. Both of my Toyota's have winter tires, and neither set run TPMS, so it's normally on. I don't mind, it reminds me of my departed Jetta.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back