Front strut noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago the right front strut started making a noise. Today I visually checked it and found nothing wrong. So I sprayed the area where the coil spring and strut mate up with white lithium grease and no more noise. I had noticed that when I drove when raining no noise as the water lubed the area of the strut. YEA!!!

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its not the shocks, its the Mobil 1 tin can rattle. Very common..

But but but he's been using M1 @ 10K OCI for longer than you have been alive!

Tig, I hope you used nothing but the best Mobil 1 Syntethic Grease, eh?
laugh.gif

Sorry Tig you knew it was coming.. I think its probably the upper shock mount going bad. What it always was on other McPherson strut cars I owned. This junk Maxima project car I'm working on does it too. Go over a bump it rattles.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Was the noise a kind of creaking or groaning noise? My Fusion has started making that sound lately going over curbs, etc..

Yes. Try some spray grease on the lower part of the coil spring where it meets the strut.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Yes, most likely the strut mount.

Not in this case. Many years ago I did have a strut mount bearing fail, but not this time.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its not the shocks, its the Mobil 1 tin can rattle. Very common..

But but but he's been using M1 @ 10K OCI for longer than you have been alive!

Yes, and most likely longer than most of these boys here.
39.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Was the noise a kind of creaking or groaning noise? My Fusion has started making that sound lately going over curbs, etc..

Yes. Try some spray grease on the lower part of the coil spring where it meets the strut.

Well, it might be worth a try, but I had a look and I'm pretty sure the struts on the car right now are the original ones. I've already picked up a pair of "quick strut" assemblies, so I'm just going to swap the whole bundle out and give the necessary spots a shot of grease in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back