My new TPMS install experience, also Tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased 4 new continental terrain contact a/t tires (265/70 r18) and since my tpms light has been on for nearly 2 years with tape hiding the light, I purchased 4 schrader #20161 for the 07 titan. It's only been 2 days and about 50 miles total, I have no 2nd thoughts on the tires, very quiet and provide a soft like comfortable ride on blacktop and concrete roadway. I am satisfied, hopefully later I run in some wetter conditions on non pavement, will report.
Now the sensors, I went to a discount tire installer, went and set up an appointment, face to face, showed him the sensors. He mentioned they were not the ready learn type, and that was that. Thursday morning was all done, tires and sensors installed, $79.96. First thing I noticed my tpms light stayed on when I drove off. I thought, maybe I need to put some miles on. I drove probably 30-40 miles of the 50 yesterday and the light was still on. This morning I was headed to WalMart and decided to stop at the tire place. I went in, I said, I'm not here to argue, yesterday I had tires and tpms installed and the light remains on, before it blink and then a steady light, now it just stays on, are the tpms I provided no good or bad? The young kid(manager) said their tool doesn't turn those type on (schraders), I told him they are a common type and that is what is called for my truck. I also said why didn't you tell me, I showed them to you, I would of never came here. His reply, I told you they were not the ready learn sensors, I said what? You didn't say whether you couldn't turn them on properly, you said nothing. Before anything else was said, I think the other guy(standing there) was his boss,he said hold on, he brought out a snap on tool, took my keys, hooked up to truck computer, and after a minute, used a trigger on 1 tire, he then said, there you go, done. I thanked him and left. While leaving, I realized that young dude (manager) didn't do anything. After over 10 years these tpms would be a no brainer anymore, just a common thing, it took less than 2 minutes to right a wrong. The light is out, after almost 2 years, now I just hope it wasn't a 1-2 week thing. Sorry for the long post and rant.

He's a manager? Has obviously no right being there. Walmart ACC carries/exclusively uses Schrader TPMS. That's what they have used as long as I have been there.

The last time I checked about three years ago I was told by a tire dealer that the TPMS sensors for Nissans and Infinitis were proprietary, and in most cases aftermarket sensors would not program. Glad your Shrader ones worked. Where did you buy them? Infiniti dealers want $175-$200 per wheel installed.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
The last time I checked about three years ago I was told by a tire dealer that the TPMS sensors for Nissans and Infinitis were proprietary, and in most cases aftermarket sensors would not program. Glad your Shrader ones worked. Where did you buy them? Infiniti dealers want $175-$200 per wheel installed.
That sounds like fake news. I have definitely installed shraders on Nissan's before, work just fine. Really only car brand I ever seem to have TPMS problems with is Chrysler/Dodge. Their system always plays not so nice.

Schrader part #20161, online search priced them from $34.95 to $68.00, 5 different sites, happened onto ebay, auto place wanted 32.95 or make a offer, I offered $26.45 each, 4-107.80, roughly 20% off. Install was free because of dismount/mount for tires(79.96). I would guess back in 2007 when it became law there where all type of problems with the different makes and all, but today, it's basic anymore. Yea, that kid (had to been around 25, give or take. I didn't want to argue, just to old for that anymore, But, I was on the verge of going crazy,,,that other fella was there and listening and then just cut the kid off. Yea he was a bit older, 45 and up, early 50's. Just can't understand why?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back