05 Mustang GT worth $11000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked up 05 Mustangs in my area after the thread on attainable vehicles you would want and seeing snagglefoot wanting one. I have to agree that they seem priced fairly and are fast enough. Any other relatively late model sports cars to look at in the under $12k range? Any common issues in these mustangs? 05 I believe was first year for the body style. I saw online that gauges are constantly not working, looking at the photos it seems this one is not also? As long this vehicle is rust free, seems like a decent deal
Craigslist ad

These are the ones that the spark plugs break off in the head. As long as you are careful and follow the TSB you will be fine.

O and it should have been fixed, but the cowl panel leaks when it rains and the water drips down taking out the Smart Junction Box.

Only 35K miles, so that's helping the price stay up there some.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
These are the ones that the spark plugs break off in the head. As long as you are careful and follow the TSB you will be fine.

O and it should have been fixed, but the cowl panel leaks when it rains and the water drips down taking out the Smart Junction Box.

You’re a wealth of knowledge. Thank you very much

Wow, that is nice. If it's as clean as it looks in the ad and everything checks out, I say it is.

As much as I love Mustangs, I'm not sure a 13 year old one with broken gauges is worth $11k. Maybe if they got them fixed as part of the deal? It does look very well taken care of and does have low mileage so it would be worth a look if you like that generation.

Seems like a good price compared to what comparable cars are being priced at. The key is how tight the drive train is...especially the transmission. Tremec 3650's can be all over the map in build quality...like any earlier Tremec.

Autotrader link

There are quite a few of these out there with under 40,000, and even under 20,000 miles. By 2005 Ford Mustang was finally catching up to what the LS1 Firebirds/Camaro V8's were doing back in 1998-2002. Some of those cars with similar mileage would be somewhat cheaper than the Mustang.
The gear ratios in 1st (12-1) and 2nd favor the mustang by quite a bit...which also can mean more pounding in those early gears. 1st gear in my T56 Camaro is under 10-1. It still comes down to each particular car and its driver(s) history.

They're fast enough when you first get/test drive them.....That wears off FAST as you get used to the car!
300hp/320tq in a 3600 pound car isn't that great.

If your fine with that.....Great looking car that will be fun to drive. Stay away from "Bolt-On" performance products unless it's forced induction! The dollar-per-horsepower ratio for the 3V 4.6L is dismal.

Last edited:
This car is supposed to be a “premium”, but it doesn’t have the “premium” factory wheels. The premiums came with 18” polished “fan blade” or “Bullit” wheels. The car has the painted 17” Bullits from the GT deluxe or a standard Mustang. My GT deluxe has been a relatively trouble free car in the 60,000 miles that I have had it. Make sure the two piece sparkplugs have replaced with one piece updated plugs. You may want to check the rear suspension for a bent panhard bar. They can be bent easily if the car has gotten “sideways”. I know because I bent mine and replaced it with a stronger aftermarket one. The only other issue I had was with the traction control system. It had a failure which was easily fixed by checking the ground wire behind the drivers side headlight for correct tightness and bonding.

3V modulars are Dogs. 300hp but feels and performs like 200hp.

The Truth is there were not many good options in 2005. The 350z wasnt too bad.

If you want to spend 12k on a proper sports car buy a early (97-00) 70-80k mile C5 Corvette with a 6 speed. Its a better car all around than a 05 mustang GT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
3V modulars are Dogs. 300hp but feels and performs like 200hp.

0 to 60 in 5 seconds.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
By 2005 Ford Mustang was finally catching up to what the LS1 Firebirds/Camaro V8's were doing back in 1998-2002.

According to the 0 to 60 website Camaros weren’t doing 5 seconds untill 2011. Mustangs were doing it in 2005. Any other data out there?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
By 2005 Ford Mustang was finally catching up to what the LS1 Firebirds/Camaro V8's were doing back in 1998-2002.

According to the 0 to 60 website Camaros weren’t doing 5 seconds untill 2011. Mustangs were doing it in 2005. Any other data out there?

Well there was no Camaro in 2005 but I'm sure a fourth gen LS1 could do 60 in under 5 seconds.

Originally Posted By: ZX11Rebel
You may want to check the rear suspension for a bent panhard bar. They can be bent easily if the car has gotten “sideways”. I know because I bent mine and replaced it with a stronger aftermarket one.

A stronger Panhard will just cause damage to more expensive components when you smack a curb, A correction maneuver WILL NOT bend the factory panhard!

that's a beautiful car all, looks all stock, 35k miles with a stick very nice. just needs a good detailing. granted the car was maintained.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

The 2 have always been quite close in straight line performance, usually comes down to the driver. And the power ratings in those years are very close between the 2, stock.

And for those complaining of "lack of power", my how times have changed - Motor Trend got an 05 GT to 60 in 5.1 and down the 1/4 mi in 13.6 @ 99.9. Not bad at all for the time period. Motor Trend 2005 Mustang GT review

Last edited:
While I agree the ls1 is a better engine and I'd have one over the 4.6, I think what it boils down to is response to low cost mods.

An ls1 can make big gains from cheap mods like an ls6 cam that isn't super complicated to do. The 4.6 really doesn't respond well to mods. Hence all the threads on the truck forums where you lose power with an aftermarket exhaust. It's not a bad motor, just not as easy to make bolt on power as an ls is.

There is a reason everyone and their brother has some 600hp+ junkyard boosted ls powering their junk into the 9s yet you rarely see that with a 4.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back