Driveway help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just bought my first house last week! Huge accomplishment for our family. I have an issue with the driveway wanted to see if anyone had a reasonable solution. The end of my driveway has a 2 to 3 inch dip and then joins the road. Both of my vans bottom out Unless we are crawling along at one mph. I have been wondering about making a little ramp out of concrete. I have an HOA So it has to be reasonably inconspicuous. Any suggestions? Thank you

Some pictures would go a long way....
wink.gif

Whether asphalt or concrete driveway, adding more material to level it out seems easy enough. Just have to ensure ideal conditions for a bond.

Or just keep heading out at 1 mph.

1. 2X4: pretty ghetto and out of the question.
2. Try to modify the curb to ease the transition
3. Asphalt ramp

Probably 2 and 3 together will get you where you want to go. The proliferation of SUVs and trucks has made people who pave parking lots, pour curbs and construct speed bumps not give AF anymore.

you want to be aware that that is usually a gutter. if you fill it in consider how water will flow or pool up.
at a minimum you need to put a pipe or other culvert in to let water flow.

there are commercial solutions. google curb ramps. bridjit curb ramps come up a lot, but lots of products avail.

I've also just seen sections of heavy steel plate or diamondplate cut to proper dimensions to bridge the gutter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=curb+driveway+ramp

I wouldn't pour concrete or do anything that is not possible to easily reverse without getting a goahead in the HOA.

Last edited:
FirstNissan
Contact your city or county public works and talk with them first. City and County code trumps HOA busy bodies. They will likely send someone out to talk with you as well as look at your problem. They may have a solution.

Originally Posted By: MParr
FirstNissan
Contact your city or county public works and talk with them first. City and County code trumps HOA busy bodies. They will likely send someone out to talk with you as well as look at your problem. They may have a solution.

This, I’m going through the same thing right now. Sold our house, bought a different one and my wife can’t make it up with the Verano. Talked to the city and getting bids. Have to repour the apron and some sidewalk to get enough pitch. A lot of people in town have concrete that was poured past the gutter to the street that made a better angle, then they left a gap for water to run through. They then placed a 2x8, 2x10 etc over the gap. I couldn’t get away with it, City wouldn’t let me, not that I wanted to. But that may be a cheaper option for you if you can do it.

You require matching vehicles ? Get a couple 4 Runners … they will not hit …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back