Lawn aerator and seed slicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone rented one or hired a company to use an aerator on their lawn? Does it significantly help the lawn? Reading articles that lawm clipping and chopped up leaves are good for your lawn as long as you use an aerator to allow the micronutrients into the soil.

What about a seed slicer, does that do the job of an aerator?

Got a quote for 1/2 acre for using an aerator for $435. $1100 to use aerator and doing over seeding.

I have an irrigation system, hoping if I mark and avoid the sprinkler heads I will be fine.

Core Aeration does work wonderfully for compacted soils or heavy clay soils. Wait a couple of weeks and then fertilize and you'll see the evidence. My neighbors team up and rent an aeration unit from The H Depot and share the costs. 1/2 acre shouldn't take more than an hour.

It could help. So can lime and proper regular fertilizer application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walk23
Core Aeration does work wonderfully for compacted soils or heavy clay soils. Wait a couple of weeks and then fertilize and you'll see the evidence. My neighbors team up and rent an aeration unit from The H Depot and share the costs. 1/2 acre shouldn't take more than an hour.

+1 on the renting with neighbors. Are lot of these guys wont go over areas and make sure it's well covered.

I can rent a walk behind core aerator for $70 for 4 hours from the local rental place. We do several yards in one morning.

They also rent the pull behind style with water jugs you use for weight. I think that is only $30 or so for 4 hours.

After renting a core aerator for many years, I ended up buying a used Bluebird. $600 maybe, but it’s nice that I can take my time and do it on my schedule. I hated rushing that job - always felt I wasn’t doing it thoroughly enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back