2017 Honda CR-V 1.5T, Mobil 1 EP 0W-20, 10,188 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Background info and general thoughts:

- This oil fill was installed at the vehicle’s first oil change, which took place at 9,382 miles.
- At the time of oil sampling, the vehicle had been driven for more than 30 minutes at highway speeds. OLM was at 5% remaining. A Genuine Honda Oil Filter (A02) was used for the duration of this oil fill.
- At the time of oil sampling, the oil level was not abnormally high.
- Driving style consists of many short 5-10 mile trips in-town, however, the vehicle sees several 150 mi highway trips each month.
- I confirmed using the Honda J2534 rewrite tool that the vehicle has the latest engine calibration installed.
- Bearing wear appears to be controlled and the oxidation/nitration numbers are quite favorable. Despite the high fuel dilution, the oil appears to be doing its job very well.

Realize this engine is still fairly new, but isn’t 3.7ppm iron/1,000 miles still pretty high? Maybe fuel dilution isn’t quite so harmless.

This engine does seem more prone to fuel dilution than most. There was an extended sales stop in China for this reason; still waiting to see if American Honda incorporates any of the changes made for the Chinese market n

Originally Posted By: Danh
Realize this engine is still fairly new, but isn’t 3.7ppm iron/1,000 miles still pretty high? Maybe fuel dilution isn’t quite so harmless.

This engine does seem more prone to fuel dilution than most. There was an extended sales stop in China for this reason; still waiting to see if American Honda incorporates any of the changes made for the Chinese market n

No. 3.7 parts per million of iron per 1,000 miles is not high.

Originally Posted By: deven
Does Mobil 1 EP 0w20 really only has 944ppm's of Calcium?

All the new formulations for the most part have lowered calcium. It’s not a issue.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Yikes. Oil was water thin when changed.

water has a viscosity of 0.294 CST @ 100c

soooo... not quite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Dude
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Yikes. Oil was water thin when changed.

water has a viscosity of 0.294 CST @ 100c

soooo... not quite.

It's called a figure of speech.

These new Honda engines do not perform the same as the old Honda engines with respect to UOAs. I used to gush over the boring Honda UOAs. These are not boring.

I personally would not run a 20 weight in an engine that is known to reduce the viscosity of oil by 25-30%.

Mouse milk.
laugh.gif
Is the factory fill a 5W-16 or 0W-16? What viscosity grade is recommended?

Would it be wise to cut the interval back to 5k miles and see what that does for the fuel dilution? Its interesting that Honda's recall on some of those 1.5T motors states the the fuel issues had to do with cold climates... but this 1.5T is operated in CA.

In my opinion, the fuel content will reach steady state amount too quickly (maybe within 1k to 2k miles), so changing the oil at 5k miles isn’t going to get the oil changed before it builds up more fuel in it. If one wanted to counteract the effect on viscosity, one could initially add less than the full amount and then starting around 1k miles gradually add oil one or two viscosity grades higher until the oil level is full.

I would run a 30 grade to 15% on the MM. is the sump really 4qts?...maybe change it at 5k/50%.

Honda has a recall in China for fuel dilution...in China

0w-20 is spec’d. Sump + filter = 3.7 quarts.

And I still think 3.7 ppm of iron/1,000 Miles is a lot for a 1.5 liter engine.

Twice as much of iron per 1k as i had on my second drain. I doesn’t look like stratching OCI that far is a bright idea. Although I’m going 7.5K on my cutrent fill

37 ppm Fe per 10k may appear relatively high, but I would attribute partly to break-in, short trips and winter season , hence it's not alarming.

Despite low KV100 and fuel dilution, TBN oxidation and nitration numbers suggest this EP 0W20 is doing its job well and is still serviceable.

Originally Posted By: zeng
37 ppm Fe per 10k may appear relatively high, but I would attribute partly to break-in, short trips and winter season , hence it's not alarming.

Despite low KV100 and fuel dilution, TBN oxidation and nitration numbers suggest this EP 0W20 is doing its job well and is still serviceable.

Agree. You don't want oxidation, which is what you find with less capable oils. This is also the second fill of oil this car ever had. With short trips, some through winter, this oil did it's job well IMO. I ALSO think any top tier 0w20 from PZ/Ams/Castrol would perform well.

O/A doesn't ship to PO boxes.. if I can find a way around that I have a 9,700 mi. sample of 0/40 that went through winter here on the shelf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back