2017 Chevy Impala 3.6L V6 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a black 2017 Chevy Impala LT with the 3.6L V6 engine with 20k miles. I love the car! That engine, when revved accelerates like a freight train (speeds in excess of triple digits are easy) and sounds like a race car! However, realizing that this is a modern engine and some of them are known to produce an over-abundance of sludge and varnish. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that GM engine and whether it is durable or not?? Is it a sludger?? Any advice, thoughts, or good maintenance tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
2017 Impala LT, 3.6L V6
30k miles

I had the first gen of the direct injected version of that engine in a Buick Enclave, and I think we put 80k or so on it with no issues. It ran perfectly the whole time we had it.

My brother has it in a Chevy Traverse with well over 100k and no issues, as well. He's still got it and piling the miles on it. Great vehicle and great drivetrain.

My father in law has 2 3.6. Traverse and An Impala. Traverse has 250,000kms on it. Impala has 200,000kms. No issues. He just uses Mobil or Catrol synthetic 5W30.

My son has a 3.6 DI engine in a Cadillac. 190,000 miles without problems. The early one's had timing chain problems but that is a thing of the past as long as you keep up with oil changes. Dexos Gen 2 is what you want. Never heard of a sludge problem with them. The Impala is supposed to be a great car with this engine. Enjoy!

The owner of a local Chevrolet dealer, shortly after purchasing it, drove all of the Chevrolet product line and then met with his employees. He told them they've got as good a lineup of vehicles as any company on the planet. He was driving a Mercedes S class at the time, which I think was 2014 or 15, or whenever the newest Impala came out. After driving it, he gave the S-class to his wife and has been driving new black Impala LTZ's ever since. He owns a lot of dealerships, so he isn't driving it just because he's promoting it. He genuinely loves that car and raves on and on about it.

I've not driven one, but the few people with whom I've spoken that have them really love them. I really like the styling on them.

Last edited:
The 3.6 is known to abuse oil, at least the ones in our 2008 and 2011 Acaida did. Keep it changed at 5k and it will serve you well. I wouldn't go longer without a UOA.

Just picked ours up 2 weeks ago, so not much experience to report with, but my wife and are impressed with it so far. I did much research, these latest gen Impalas are well regarded and have earned a good reputation for reliability and build quality. Not inexpensive, but good value in the new car market place.

Maintenance tips:
-Do not be afraid to beat on it, this will help it not consume oil. Google "mototune break-in"
-Be firm with the dealership and make sure you go up the CoC upon encountering resistance. Do not let them blow you off. Keep your receipts if you get your oil changed anywhere but the dealership who will be servicing it.
-Swap the original engine oil early unless there is a reason you should not. I would do one change at 2000km and then another at 5 or 6000km and then proceed as normal.
-Drain and fill or cooler line flush the transmission fluid at 15-20k miles and add a magnefine filter at your splice if you flushed it.

EDIT: Thought it was brand new. Change all fluids.

welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Stay away from extended oil changes, have a 08 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 and she runs great, I do 5K oil changes with Pennz Platinum and Wix filters.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mjpcu86
I recently purchased a black 2017 Chevy Impala LT with the 3.6L V6 engine with 20k miles. I love the car! That engine, when revved accelerates like a freight train (speeds in excess of triple digits are easy) and sounds like a race car! However, realizing that this is a modern engine and some of them are known to produce an over-abundance of sludge and varnish. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that GM engine and whether it is durable or not?? Is it a sludger?? Any advice, thoughts, or good maintenance tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Matt
2017 Impala LT, 3.6L V6
30k miles

Your "BOLD" statement concerned me as I have never read this before. Judging by the rest of the replies here, I'd say the info is false, at least with the newer models.
We purchased ours last November 17 and couldn't be happier! It has been an excellent car so far and trouble free with around 26,000 kms on it (We purchased it used with around 20k)

I have been using my favorite oil of choice in PUP 5W-30 and haven't noticed any oil consumption despite my wife only doing short city driving mainly of around 20 kms per day.

Great choice of color, by the way!
11.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4570156/New,_to_us,_2017_Impala_Premie#Post4570156

I just finished waxing it within the last couple of weeks using Collinite 845 Insulator wax. Great wax and it sure makes it shine!

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Just picked ours up 2 weeks ago, so not much experience to report with, but my wife and are impressed with it so far. I did much research, these latest gen Impalas are well regarded and have earned a good reputation for reliability and build quality. Not inexpensive, but good value in the new car market place.

Carviewsonic, I recently asked you in the vehicle section/Impala post if you got your new Impala yet.

Glad you did and glad to read you're enjoying it.

Like I mentioned in that post, it is, by far, the nicest vehicle we have ever owned.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Don't know what engine, but a guy I work with has 300k on his newish Impala.

First of call, nice car! Second, I have never heard personally of a sludge issue with these 3.6's. I have heard of timing chain issues in the early models, but I do believe that has been remedied by now with new materials and shorter OCI's. So just keep the oil changed with a quality synthetic at 5K intervals and you should be golden.

Are there readily available jack spots to get underneath? Do you have to remove plastic splash guards to drain the oil?

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Don't know what engine, but a guy I work with has 300k on his newish Impala.

Sweet … I own 3 GM’s … and always grab an Impala off the National lot …

If I bought one … have to go with the black bow tie (did on the Tahoe) …

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Are there readily available jack spots to get underneath? Do you have to remove plastic splash guards to drain the oil?

Jack spots in front of rear tires and behind the fronts. I used a floor jack with a hockey puck when I took my wife's snowys off.

No plastic removal needed anywhere. I use ramps for an oil change and it works out good. The oil filter is horizontal but can be reached fairly easy, depending on the length of your arm, either from the top or bottom. I will make sure, in the future, to loosen mine from the top down somewhat before I get it on ramps as it was a tad difficult for me the last time. I also put it on too tight as well.
This is a [censored] pic of the [censored]/pia jack that comes with the car. It works but I suggest you use a ratchet instead of the handle wrench that comes with it.

Last edited:
You have the new and redesigned version of the GM 3.6 V6, the LGX. [ http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lgx/ ]

It is not the same engine as used in the prior models. The timing chains have been simplified and redesigned as have the cylinder heads. I have the truck version of this same engine in my 2017 GMC Canyon and love it. Use a Dexos1 Gen2 5W-30 oil. I change mine at halfway on the OLM leaving the filter in and then take it to the dealer when the OLM reads zero for new oil and filter. That way the dealer is on record as having changed the oil at the GM specified intervals for warranty plus I get the peace of mind knowing that the oil is refreshed and doing its job between dealer changes. Use top tier gasoline and occasionally add a PEA fuel injector cleaner to keep the high pressure direct injection nozzles clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back