Fram ultra vs wix xp oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram ultra and wix xp as I have seen they both full synthetic wix xp 57356= Napa platinum oil filter 7356 can be get from sale close to $5.50 but on other hand fram ultra 7317 can not be get cheaper than $6.78 from rockauto and eBay is very high priced.which is better in terms of dirt holding capacity and less engine wearing. I know there many form for wix xp and fram ultra but they are not form that both are compare them together recently.

I would choose the Fram ultra over the Wix.

You are buying the filters yourself. If you asked a garage to install one of those filters they would probably charge you over $15 each

I know I have a Wix filter in my signature, however I have a stash of Fram ultra's that will be installed the next OCI for both vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Toh1
Fram ultra and wix xp as I have seen they both full synthetic wix xp 57356= Napa platinum oil filter 7356 can be get from sale close to $5.50 but on other hand fram ultra 7317 can not be get cheaper than $6.78 from rockauto and eBay is very high priced.which is better in terms of dirt holding capacity and less engine wearing. I know there many form for wix xp and fram ultra but they are not form that both are compare them together recently.

Subbing to see the evidence of more dirt holding and less engine wearing.

Interesting here as well as I have used about every 7317 clone but found Fram Ultra to be the best.
However the Wix XP or NP. I have not tried.
But at the prices you're quoting they are both solid values and given both could handle 2 OCI's
They are far cheaper than you suspect even at full retail.

I have several autos I need the 7317 for so I may just try a NP

(depending on vehicle application and OCIs timing)....
Fram Extra Guard and basic Wix can help get engines to 300+k miles
Fram TG and regular Wix likely good for 400+K miles.
Fram Ultra and Premium Wix filters likely get you 500+k miles.

What vehicle is this filter for and how long do you normally keep that vehicle (in miles)?

Last edited:
For that application, the Fram Ultra XG7317 is much better than the Napa Platinum. Wix filters in this size have a dinky media cartridge and therefore much less media than Fram.

However, Wix does make the XP/Platinum in more applications than Fram makes the Ultra in.

Just ordered a bunch of Fram Ultras from Rock Auto and played with number of filters and shipping to get the lowest price overall, which was about $6.78 as mentioned above after 5% discount code. Beats AMAZON and WM everyday price and I go through lots of these. Just be sure to ship all from same warehouse to save on shipping cost. I ordered some Bosch filters too for the shorter oil change intervals on some cars that are not using a full synthetic or don't go more than 5000 or 6000 miles on synthetic oil. People want to know why my oil change costs more than Wal-mart at $45 plus tax. Well I use much better oil filters and better oil usually, plus I always put a bottle of Regane in the fuel tank and check the whole underhood belts, hoses, leaks and powertrain and top off fluids, etc. Sometimes I do a quick 5 minute headlight polish and clean the windshield and a test drive to see if all is well. Plus I always tighten the oil drain plug and oil filters unlike some of these places. I charge $60 and up for synthetic oil changes. $40 and up for syn blends and high mileage. I rarely, if ever use straight conventional these days. People are really bad about overextending their oil changes. They get busy and then spend their money on everything but their car which they really need to keep running well for a long time.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
For that application, the Fram Ultra XG7317 is much better than the Napa Platinum. Wix filters in this size have a dinky media cartridge and therefore much less media than Fram.

However, Wix does make the XP/Platinum in more applications than Fram makes the Ultra in.

The Wix XP/Platinum numbers aren't easy to find, but based upon this (dated) thread, the XG7317 had some of the lowest sq in of media in the list:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616368

Has Fram made changes to the XG7317 since this thread?

Honda OES 7B10(?) –Media 131 sq in, medium/course (element flow score 2.8)
Hamp H1540-PLC-505 –Media 126 sq in, fine (element flow score 2.8)
Proline PPL14610 –Media 90 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.5)
PureONE PL14610 (old style with blue can) —Media 100 sq in, very fine (element flow score 1.0)
Fram XG7317—Media 58 sq in, course and very thick (element flow score 1.1)
Fram TG7317 –Media 115 sq in, fine (element flow score 1.6)

Purolator L14459 –Media 83 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.2)
PureONE PL14459 (new style yellow) –Media 84 sq in, very fine (element flow score 1.6)
Proline PPL14459 –Media 80 sq in, fine (element flow score 3.2)
NAPA Gold 1334 –Media 101 sq in, medium/fine (element flow score 2.0)

I'm partial to FU because I can scoop it up at Walmart when I'm buying oil.

Please translate.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Please translate.

I lean toward fram ultra. I still use a few wix filters.
1. Fram tells me up front what the filter effeciency is. Wix is not as forth coming. For example - can anyone tell what the effeciency is for the 57356xp. I find it easily for the standard 57356 and it is not as good as fram ultra. I have called wix a few times without getting a point blank answer like I get from fram.
2. If the length of filter media is shorter than other filters that is fine with me because it looks to be twice as thick on the ones I have taken apart.

I like fram ultra the best but also use wix, motorcraft, and a supertech every blue moon. I am not paying for wix xp without knowing exact filter effeciency. If anyone knows exact numbers for wix 57356xp then 2 of us may be convinced.

Originally Posted By: sweezy722
I lean toward fram ultra. I still use a few wix filters.
1. Fram tells me up front what the filter effeciency is. Wix is not as forth coming. For example - can anyone tell what the effeciency is for the 57356xp. I find it easily for the standard 57356 and it is not as good as fram ultra. I have called wix a few times without getting a point blank answer like I get from fram.

When I called WIX quite a while ago, the Rep told me the XP was 50% at 20 microns. It was also shown as that at one time on thier website (beta ratio info). Today WIX hides all that info.

Toyota tore apart a million mile hard used one owner Tundra that used Toyota filters and found little engine wear. I read here that a Ford van and others did similar, but don't know what filters. They likely didn't use Ultra or XP filters on those other million milers.
There is no data I remember to show a Wix XP causes less or more wear to an engine than a Fram Ultra. That could be why Wix says it is their best filter. Above one of their own that rates higher in the four hour efficiency test. They just know more about filters and wear in real life.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
The Wix XP/Platinum numbers aren't easy to find, but based upon this (dated) thread, the XG7317 had some of the lowest sq in of media in the list:

Can't judge the media performance between different filters by measuring the media area. Especially with dual layer full synthetic media.

We all see that the Fram Ultra is one of the better filters and that was kind of the point of my posting -- slacktide_bitog said "For that application, the Fram Ultra XG7317 is much better than the Napa Platinum. Wix filters in this size have a dinky media cartridge and therefore much less media than Fram."

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Can't judge the media performance between different filters by measuring the media area. Especially with dual layer full synthetic media.

We all see that the Fram Ultra is one of the better filters and that was kind of the point of my posting -- slacktide_bitog said "For that application, the Fram Ultra XG7317 is much better than the Napa Platinum. Wix filters in this size have a dinky media cartridge and therefore much less media than Fram."

It's the filtering performance of the media itself that counts the most. That's why the Ultra can out filter the XP with less media. But your link to the media area data says the XG7317 has less media than the XP is why I said you can't judge a filter's performance by the media area.

IMO, WIX claims the XP is there "best" filter because it's full synthetic and can be ran for longer FCIs ... it's obviously not based on it's efficiency rating.

Thank you everyone for comments and i read that many of you was saying run 2 oci on filter but i go by OLM or 6000 miles change oil and filter and used mobil 1 or pp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back