Need recommendation for compressor Air Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a compressor for our various cars and trucks, it has a coiled air line with the dimensions 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD

The existing and original air line is starting to develop micro fissures and I have cut it multiple times and shortened it from 30 ft down to about 18 ft. Clearly it is on it's way out.

I don't need a loop/coiled hose, while it would be nice but is there a generic high pressure line, able to tolerate easily 150+ PSI for short duration ? Would like to have length around 30 ft.

The existing line connects to a male nipple, inside a coiled compression ring (thus the 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD) and the male nipple is part of a quick connection to the compressor and air gun at the two ends.
In case it is important, when the compressor runs, the closest quick connector end does heat up a little but the compressor automatically shuts off when 150 PSI is reached and waits for demand before restarting.

Have scouted amazon, wallyworld, home depot but not sure what is appropriate.

Harbor Freight used to sell a Goodyear black rubber air hose cheap. Now it has a different brand, touting it as "twice as strong as Goodyear". I've had the Goodyear hose for over 10 years now, and am very happy with it. No clue if the new "Diablo" hose is any good.

Amazon lists the Goodyear black rubber air hose for $29.99 for 3/8"x25', and $24.99 for a 3/8"x50' hose. Hmmm, I think I'd get the 50 ft.

Lots of options out there. Your hose probably uses fairly standard quick connect fittings, with the male at the compressor, female at the other end. Most hoses are threaded on the end and you may need to buy fittings to put on them, unless you can reuse the quick connects from the old hose.

There are lots of different hose material options that have different advantages. Some are more flexible (particular in cold temperatures), or might be lighter weight, or more durable. For general use, I'd still avoid rubber just for the weight.

I'd recommend one of the newer hybrid hoses, they are flexible at all temps and are fairly light, although the cold temp issue may not be an issue for you.

I personally have this Flexzilla hose: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C6NC7O?tag=vglnkc3018-20 The only thing I don't really like about it is that it's bright green, so it gets more visibly dirty looking as I drag it around the garage.

I like Milton brand fittings ( https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-216-Style-Coupler-Plug/dp/B001O2VPF2 ), but you can probably pick anything up locally that will work.

Yeah I will second the flexzilla air hose.. have the hose and whips on some of my air tools. Their water hose looks neat too.

Last edited:
I have Blubird, Flexzilla, and Diablo air hoses. They're all good, but I'd go with Flexzilla if I needed to replace a hose. The Flexzilla doesn't kink, and it rolls up nicely when you're done with it. It does get a little dirty, but nothing that a rag with some Simple Green won't clean right up.

I bought that Bluebird air hose upon Trav's recommendation and love it. It is especially good in the winter when it stays nice and soft with little or no memory. The hose I replaced would stiffen up and become unusable in cold temps. Highly recommend it.

I go to a local shop ... Goodall, in my case, but every town with a heavy equipment presence will have someone ... and get them to build me a hose with whatever fittings I need and whatever length I want. Heavy duty hose, just tell them what you want and trust their recommendation, and it will be the last air hose you ever buy.

It's not expensive, you basically pay for the quality hose you want at bulk reel per-foot price, fittings are inexpensive, and assembly is "while you wait" and often @ no additional charge. Why buy another Chinese hose?

The only other tip I would have is get large ID hose, it will save you grief in use. Be sure to ask for a flexible hose especially in larger diameters; any "low temperature" use type will be, even if you will never use it in the cold.

I bought this one from Walmart and can't tell the difference from other hybrid hoses I've seen. It hangs from the ceiling in my garage and gets used weekly for just about everything from, tires, painting and blowing dirt out of the garage. So far, after two years of use, it still looks good and is just as flexable as it was when new. I've only used it up to 130PSI.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amflo-575-50A...r-Hose/49096187

Originally Posted By: henni
How about this one ?

Amflo 12-25E Blue 300 PSI Polyurethane Air Hose 1/4" x 25' With 1/4" MNPT Swivel Ends And Bend Restrictor Fittings

Price: $9.97

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q759T4

I've got that in a 50' length ... 99% of my use is inflating tires, it's fine, but doesn't coil worth a flip. IMO, it's too small for air tool use.

When it gets cold or below freezing you want quality rubber hose, end of story. This is the one I am buying next before my Goodyear rubber finally lets go (10 yrs old). I use the Bluebird for painting, its light and 100% rubber, totally flexible with no memory, it makes a huge difference dragging it around the car.

I'm setting up a home shop and politely request your opinions, am I going to be happy with something like this? It seems Blubird is one of the BITOG recommended air hoses, and this comes on a spring retractible spool. Not sure of the spool quality?

I wan't to be able to run big air guns and eventually have a sand blasting cabnet. Will this 1/2 inch hose support that kind of flow? Right now my compressor is probably a bit weak for such things, but I want a quality hose that will work when I upgrade to a higher CFM air compressor.

Thanks!

The 1/2" air hose will support all but the largest air tools like a 1" impact. That reel is good quality as is the hose, I dont own the reel but my brother has one for 3/8" and I have the hose.
You wont go wrong buying that.

In addition to the hose, I'd suggest researching and buying decent fittings as well. I've found that they can make a pretty huge difference in flow. I'd check out Milton V fittings.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The 1/2" air hose will support all but the largest air tools like a 1" impact. That reel is good quality as is the hose, I dont own the reel but my brother has one for 3/8" and I have the hose.
You wont go wrong buying that.

Excellent, thanks! I don't think I will ever be running 1", but then again I think some tractor sized tools are in that range..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back