Unfortunately, It's new A/C time

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 3 ton 13 SEER Ruud A/C system circa 2001 that started short cycling on Sunday.
Had my tech up today. Got the news that I knew was coming.
Leaking R-12, not totally empty, but is going to need more than a dribble at $100/lb.
I figure that recharging with a leak is ridiculous at a hundo a pound, labor to track it down isn't cheap (and not always successful) and at 17 years, I know the equipment is about played out.
So now looking at replacement. He has access to Tempstar (Carrier), American Standard (Trane) or he may be able to access another Ruud. Looking at $3600.installed.
I'm looking at going with another 13 SEER, all three are mid grade equipment, per my request.
He is recommending the Tempstar. I'm not really brand specific. Out of the litter presented, opinions please.

American Standard is all over the place around here. I have an old Trane, old as in 1991 old. Keeping fingers crossed that it lasts a few more years before we move. Knocking on wood. I know that when we do have it replaced all the duct work will have to be as well. So it will be expensive.

My next door neighbor had theirs replaced two years ago and it seems they have had to have someone come out at least once a year.

My sister had hers replaced and with seasonal "tuneups" she had to have it repaired several times in the past few years.

Just seems like they don't make them like they use to anymore.

Last edited:
We had to replace our 17 year old a/c last summer. I think it was about $4000 (with a new Nest thermostat). Power savings over the last year has certainly been nice.

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge

I had an American Standard heat pump installed last September 15 SEER and love it.

Power bill went down.

What was the installed fee though?

$3,600 seems surprisingly cheap to replace both indoor and outdoor units, although I know that straight AC systems are cheaper than heat pumps like I have. I've had good service from Trane, American Standard and Carrier. Next week I'm replacing a 5 ton York heat pump system that's 15 years old. It takes a beating located on the salty waterfront.

For you, why not upgrade to at least a 15 or 16 SEER? It will pay over the long run. In fact, here in NC 14 SEER is the minimum allowed by state or local code.

So the system works fine when it's charged? I would want to know where the leak is first. R12 is plentiful and easy to get because they have been recovering it for years. $100 a pound? Nonsense. 30 pound cylinders can be had for $200.

In this thread "Eddie" says a new unit only saved him $6/month. If this is correct does it makes sense to replace an AC unit or repair what you have. Something to think about.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4772168/Searchpage/2/Main/290241/Words/saved/Search/true/Re:_Should_I_look_into_replaci#Post4772168

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
In this thread "Eddie" says a new unit only saved him $6/month. If this is correct does it makes sense to replace an AC unit or repair what you have. Something to think about.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4772168/Searchpage/2/Main/290241/Words/saved/Search/true/Re:_Should_I_look_into_replaci#Post4772168

Replace it when it can't be repaired at a reasonable cost. A hole can be found with a detector and possibly repaired.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
$3,600 seems surprisingly cheap to replace both indoor and outdoor units, although I know that straight AC systems are cheaper than heat pumps like I have. I've had good service from Trane, American Standard and Carrier. Next week I'm replacing a 5 ton York heat pump system that's 15 years old. It takes a beating located on the salty waterfront.

For you, why not upgrade to at least a 15 or 16 SEER? It will pay over the long run. In fact, here in NC 14 SEER is the minimum allowed by state or local code.

The price is for the outdoor A/C unit and the coil(inside)installed. I will be using my current RUUD 90+ furnace until it bites it.

My current tech today recommended the 13 SEER, and when I did my homework back in '02 when I had the RUUD installed, found the 13 to be the sweet spot in both payback and complexity/reliability of system. Electric is reasonable around here, and this system replacement puts me financially where I want to be.

I've generally found mid grade equipment to provide the best value over time. I've been happy with this system and actually pushed three installers to quote the equipment that I ended up purchasing. Actually the tech that installed the system I have now was highly recommended, but he wanted to install Janitrol or York. I wanted Rheem at the time, and he was able to access the RUUD twin. I'd have had him do it, but he is now installing equipment up above, or in a warm, intemperate climate.

We just had a 2 stage 100,000 btu Ameristar furnace and 13 Seer 3 ton Ameristar AC put it last weekend at our house. My cousin got everything and installed it for a killer deal $5,000. Anyhow he told me Ameristar is identical to Trane on the inside, they’re just not painted like the Tranes are. They are galvanized. So far so good on the AC in the last week, a lot better then the 1988 Carrier unit it replaced. Obviously we haven’t run the furnace yet other then startup so I can’t report on that. Can’t report on energy savings yet either, haven’t gotten a recent bill to do the math.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125

Replace it when it can't be repaired at a reasonable cost. A hole can be found with a detector and possibly repaired.

Unfortunately, in this case it can't. Somehow, I can't justify putting $500. to a grand in repairing a 17 year old system that probably has a 20 year life expectancy that uses refrigerant that is presently being phased out.
I just checked. I can buy R12 myself for $40./lb. online. Assuming that I bought a set of gauges and could actually track the leak myself and it was in a place that was repairable, perhaps MacGyvering it through might be an option to eke a few more years out of the old girl.
However, with my luck, I would drop the bills and the compressor would blow tomorrow.
Planned obsolescence is a PITA, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Unfortunately, in this case it can't. Somehow, I can't justify putting $500. to a grand in repairing a 17 year old system that probably has a 20 year life expectancy that uses refrigerant that is presently being phased out.
I just checked. I can buy R12 myself for $40./lb. online. Assuming that I bought a set of gauges and could actually track the leak myself and it was in a place that was repairable, perhaps MacGyvering it through might be an option to eke a few more years out of the old girl.
However, with my luck, I would drop the bills and the compressor would blow tomorrow.
Planned obsolescence is a PITA, but it is what it is.

Your choice. I have a rental with a 35 year old AC system. It had a leak years ago. My AC guy used a hand held gizmo that beeped when it found the leak. Took all of 5 minutes. He fixed the pin hole and I've had another 9 years out of it.

Check with local electric company. Sometimes they will offer rebates on higher SEER units which in turn make them more affordable.

We have 2 Trane XL14i units - a 5 ton and a 2 1/2 that were installed new in 2003. They are R410 refrigerant and reciprocal compressors (not scroll). Other than 3 capacitors and a condenser fan motor this year, been extremely pleased with operation and efficiency. We also did 2 stage gas furnaces with variable speed blowers, which are great in winter. Instead of the on/off cycling (heat), they may come on so low you can't hear - and run long periods, maybe nonstop if cold enough. Of course if you call for a big temp increase, they will ramp up like a normal system does. Trane gets my vote.

American Standard and Trane are mechanically/electrically the same. Only difference is the paint job, maybe the warranty, maybe the price.

So the system works fine when it's charged? I would want to know where the leak is first. R12 is plentiful and easy to get because they have been recovering it for years. $100 a pound? Nonsense. 30 pound cylinders can be had for $200.

R-12 is only used in automobile air conditioners, refrigerators and some older window unit A/Cs. Newer vehicles use R-134a or a similar replacement "freon". R-22 is the refrigerant used in older home central air conditioners. R-22 has been phased out in favor of R-410 since 2010. R-22 will be fully banned in the U.S. in 2020.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
We have a 3 ton 13 SEER Ruud A/C system circa 2001 that started short cycling on Sunday.
Had my tech up today. Got the news that I knew was coming.
Leaking R-12, not totally empty, but is going to need more than a dribble at $100/lb.
I figure that recharging with a leak is ridiculous at a hundo a pound, labor to track it down isn't cheap (and not always successful) and at 17 years, I know the equipment is about played out.
So now looking at replacement. He has access to Tempstar (Carrier), American Standard (Trane) or he may be able to access another Ruud. Looking at $3600.installed.
I'm looking at going with another 13 SEER, all three are mid grade equipment, per my request.
He is recommending the Tempstar. I'm not really brand specific. Out of the litter presented, opinions please.

Tempstar is a line within International Comfort Products, a unit of United Technologies … as is Heil. I had a 17 year old Heil and asked same HVAC outfit to replace (did not wait for it to go out). … they put in a Comfort Maker (same as Heil) … Went from a 13 SEER to 16 SEER but the two stage works well in the south. (Old system was single stage)
Dropped $100/month … even more July/August …
Very quiet …

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7

R-12 is only used in automobile air conditioners, refrigerators and some older window unit A/Cs. Newer vehicles use R-134a or a similar replacement "freon". R-22 is the refrigerant used in older home central air conditioners. R-22 has been phased out in favor of R-410 since 2010. R-22 will be fully banned in the U.S. in 2020.

My typo. I meant R-22.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back