I lost the Michelin lottery again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems I have the worst luck with Michelin tires.
4k miles on my new truck and I had a vibration, so I decided to do a road force balance. 2 tires had bad runout, one was so bad the tire guy could not get it right. I watched him remount the tire six times before I told him to give up. The other bad tire took 2 tries.

This has happened to me before withe the same tire. The at2 rock slingers. Now I have to try and convince the dealer they need replacing.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Man, such frustration! Who is the dealer? They are the most important factor in getting you back on the road.

Still seems ironic that we buy multiple sets of Michelins for our fleet trucks here and I can only remember one defective tire that was replaced instantly at Tire Kingdom.

Those are the OEM Michelin AT tires?

While not my favorite tire usually OEM tires that come new on vehicles are
less likely to have that sort of issue than aftermarket replacements.

You are not alone. The OEM Michelin Latitude Tours on my vehicle suddenly went out of balance at around 35,000 miles. Had a local Chevy dealer balance them, and the vibration did not go away. Waited until the next oil change and had the original selling dealer, a Chevy/Cadillac dealer, road force balance them. Two of the four were found to be significantly out of balance, and the vibration is now resolved. So apparently the local dealer can't balance tires, and I know to never go back to them again for anything [if they can't do a simple tire balance, they probably can't do other tasks reliably]. I have also never had tires go out of balance, so this was a first and it happened to be with Michelins.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Your in Florida-they will dry rot any way........

OK You're

Originally Posted By: Trav
Michelin = Over rated and over priced. For trucks Firestone has one of the best tires out there when the time comes.

Based on my parent's R16, I was a Michelin fan. Only thing that would stay balanced, and wear well.

Based on the couple of times that I've owned them, I loathe them.

2 thoughts:

First is that tires don't change from not vibrating to vibrating without something external going on. Usually it is irregular wear.

Second, what the Hunter machine is doing is matching up the wheel's out of round with the tire's out of round such that they cancel each other and the assembly is more round. Balance has nothing to do with this.

I'm shocked by these threads. All my life, in my family business I used Michelin tires on the vans and pickups and they outlasted everything else.
I have a set of Defenders on my Suburban currently and they've been fantastic. The only thing I can think of is I ordered these tires from a tire shop and not Costco. I paid plenty for them and they have something like a 75,000 mile tread warranty. Am I just lucky?

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I bought 275/65/20 Michelin AT2s for my 2011 2500 Duramax. I wouldn't have another set even if they were free.

My problem wasn't with that particular tire, I had issues more than once with their passenger car tires. As a result I wouldn't own them ever again either. IMO they're over priced and over rated.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I'm shocked by these threads. All my life, in my family business I used Michelin tires on the vans and pickups and they outlasted everything else.
I have a set of Defenders on my Suburban currently and they've been fantastic. The only thing I can think of is I ordered these tires from a tire shop and not Costco. I paid plenty for them and they have something like a 75,000 mile tread warranty. Am I just lucky?

Seems like a vibration turned into blaming the tire. I question this. Michelins are PHENOMENAL. Expensive? Yes, outrageously so. But PHENOMENAL. I've had tire issues/vibrations and it's ALMOST ALWAYS balance or alignment. I used to frequent one tire shop until I had a vibration that wouldn't go away on a set of, yup, Michelins. Went back multiple times until they blamed the "defective tire". I brought it to a chain tire shop and they checked it and told me the balance was way off. I went back to the shop I'll never go to again and told them problem solved. The chain shop said a lot of times the people aren't trained how to use the balancer and don't tighten the nut or use the wrong sized nut thingy to hold the tire on. He said they see it all the time and their training and supervisors emphasize ALWAYS doing it correctly.

Wonder if that's this issue...

Not the issues for me. My tires we're road force and balanced multiple times at 2 places.

I'm now on Cooper tires for about 10k miles and perfectly happy.

These "Michelins gone bad threads" are stunners.

Are there as many jack fools in tire places as are said to be at oil change places?

A grubby tire chain near me finally closed its doors and is now a link in another chain.

You never saw the same dirt bags twice in the old place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back