Moto Guzzi V85 adv class motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
MG's replacement for the Stelvio 1200. I'm not sure this bike is going to sell well, at least in North America. The ADV bikes that sell here all seem to be north of 1000 cc's. In order to stay afloat, MG like all motorcycle manufacturers *must* start attracting more Millenial's and Gen Y's than X's and Boomers. I just don't see this bike doing that, but then again marketing for their V7 model appears to be aimed directly at that demographic.

Moto_Gallery_0.png

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

Quote:
I'm not sure this bike is going to sell well, at least in North America. The ADV bikes that sell here all seem to be north of 1000 cc's.

Have they announced pricing yet? I think price will have a big impact on how well it sells.

BMW has a number of under 1000cc ADV bikes (F800/F700), and I think they are relatively popular. Bigger engine adds extra weight and makes it less manageable off road.

MGs don't sell well period. There's a guy in my state who seems to collect them and occasionally resells them on CL but other than that it's all American or Japanese stuff mostly.

Someone with a lot of money who wants something unique might buy that but anyone else would just settle for an Africa Twin or R1200GS.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:
I'm not sure this bike is going to sell well, at least in North America. The ADV bikes that sell here all seem to be north of 1000 cc's.

Have they announced pricing yet? I think price will have a big impact on how well it sells.

BMW has a number of under 1000cc ADV bikes (F800/F700), and I think they are relatively popular. Bigger engine adds extra weight and makes it less manageable off road.

Agreed up to a point, and that is that most ADV's never go off road. Lot like the consumer SUV craze, four door decked out Jeep Wranglers that never see mud, etc. Guilty as charged with my Stelvio, except it does see the occasional dirt road albeit not too primitive.

I hear ya. When I had my F700GS, I rarely ever took it off pavement, mainly because I did not want to get it dirty and have to clean it.
smile.gif
I just liked the more upright seating position.

With me being shorter and lighter rider, getting a large/heavy bike was out of the question.

I would add a side note that those tires will be tubeless, even though spoked rims are used. Moto Guzzi has been using Alpina STS wheels with sealed spoke roots that work with tubeless tires.

If I lived in that price bracket, I'd snap one up right now. ADV bikes are becoming more popular here, which I'm pleased to see, sports bikes have no place on our roads. And I second the you don't need a big powerful bike for loose surfaces. So much can go wrong, and the smaller bike will go past on full throttle. I knew a guy who took the then new HP2 on the Race To The Sky...a gravel road hill climb like Pikes Peak. He clocked the highest top speed for a motorcycle, but was well down the list on times. You have to slow all that speed and weight down for the corners, on the same size tyres as a bike half the weight and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back