Will 5W-20s soon be obselete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar to how 5W-30 essentially replaced 10W-30 years ago, my thought is, how much longer does 5W-20 have when 0W-20 is suitable for everybody anyway? Is there any advantage to choosing the 5W over the 0W, even if your car specs 5W?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I dont think so because a 5w20 is conventional.

Admittedly I was thinking about synthetics when I posted this, but with SN+, is there really such a thing as a 5W-20 conventional anymore?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Ford still specs 5w20 ......I'm thinking it has slightly better NOACK numbers.

Is that something that is applies across the board, or only to certain brands and blends?

With the new formulations, there is very little difference generally between 0w20 and 5w20. Even 5w30 is becoming more like a heavy 20 for some brands.

My company truck, a 2018 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and tow package specs 5W20. Did the engineers prefer something about 5w20 over 0w20, or is 5w20 simply less expensive for the owner? There have been other posts on this recently, but I don't recall there being any definitive answers. I'm wondering if I should switch our 2007 Accord to 0w20 this winter, or just stay with 5w20...
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
My company truck, a 2018 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 and tow package specs 5W20. Did the engineers prefer something about 5w20 over 0w20, or is 5w20 simply less expensive for the owner? There have been other posts on this recently, but I don't recall there being any definitive answers. I'm wondering if I should switch our 2007 Accord to 0w20 this winter, or just stay with 5w20...
confused2.gif

If you are in the oil patch and need this truck to start up at 6:00 in the morning in High Level, Alberta, go wth 0w20.
smile.gif

5W20 is the new 5W30 (and the old 5W30 ain't bad either)

If we were going to see anything towards reducing complexity in oil manufacturing, we'd see everything (except xW50+ oils) move to 0Wxx and everything else disappear

But with DIT engines and some of the technical papers coming out now, they are discovering the larger spread between the first and second numbers has generally resulted in higher wear, meaning 0W30 causes greater wear to things like timing chains and other sliding frictions than 5W30 and 5W30 causes greater wear than 10W30, where climate-applicable.

As was mentioned with SN+, ACEA ratings, upcoming GF-6, even conventional oils continue to get better and distance themselves much closer to synthetics than their brothers of 10+ years ago. As long as there are engines that were ever spec'd for 5W20, there will be those who buy 5W20 to put in it. Sure they could use 0W20, but the oil cap and owners manual say 5W20 for a reason, in their minds.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

If we were going to see anything towards reducing complexity in oil manufacturing, we'd see everything (except xW50+ oils) move to 0Wxx and everything else disappear

But with DIT engines and some of the technical papers coming out now, they are discovering the larger spread between the first and second numbers has generally resulted in higher wear, meaning 0W30 causes greater wear to things like timing chains and other sliding frictions than 5W30 and 5W30 causes greater wear than 10W30, where climate-applicable.

As was mentioned with SN+, ACEA ratings, upcoming GF-6, even conventional oils continue to get better and distance themselves much closer to synthetics than their brothers of 10+ years ago. As long as there are engines that were ever spec'd for 5W20, there will be those who buy 5W20 to put in it. Sure they could use 0W20, but the oil cap and owners manual say 5W20 for a reason, in their minds.

Why would the larger spread cause increased wear? Is that from needing more VII that gets used up over the course of the OCI?

confused2.gif

I believe Ram does it for marketing reasons. The truck would be less appealing to their target market if they required the use of synthetic oil and premium gas.

If it does become obsolete, let's have a giant clearance sale first. I have a stash of PP and Havoline Pro DS 5w-20 that was cleared out at $2 a quart. My vehicles spend almost zero days in sub-freezing temps, so I like 5w-20 for the Hondas, even the '17.

Originally Posted By: AVB
confused2.gif

I believe Ram does it for marketing reasons. The truck would be less appealing to their target market if they required the use of synthetic oil and premium gas.

Maintenance is generally free or rolled into the financing these days anyway on new vehicles. Ram doesn't care about what people buying them used in ten years are gonna think. I highly doubt any new car buyer ever gets swayed either way or even cares whatsoever that it uses synthetic oil or not. What's a few dollars to the average consumer that's already spending say $36k on that purchase and just cares that "the monthly payment is low".

Maintenance is not free or financed at Ram dealers. A couple years ago they came with 1 free oil change, they don't even do that any more. We have had a customer trade in a Eco diesel for a gasser because of the the cost of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
confused2.gif

Maintenance is generally free or rolled into the financing these days anyway on new vehicles. Ram doesn't care about what people buying them used in ten years are gonna think. I highly doubt any new car buyer ever gets swayed either way or even cares whatsoever that it uses synthetic oil or not. What's a few dollars to the average consumer that's already spending say $36k on that purchase and just cares that "the monthly payment is low".

Maintenance is never free. You pay for it somewhere along the way. That’s why most here on BITOG do their own oil changes among other tasks.

I say the only reason a 5w20 is specced yet is that so conventional oil is an option.

and said customer lost more on the trade than they would have ever spent on maintenance.
thats just dumb!
We have had a customer trade in a Eco diesel for a gasser because of the the cost of maintenance.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

Why would the larger spread cause increased wear? Is that from needing more VII that gets used up over the course of the OCI?

Thinner base stocks is my understanding

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I dont think so because a 5w20 is conventional.

Also in semi-synthetic and full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back