2002 Protege Under Valve Cover 295k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a base model 2002 protege for my girlfiend about 3 months ago since she wrecked her Grand prix. Bought the car with 291k miles on it and service records appeared as if the last Timing belt was done at 110k. I went ahead and pulled the valve cover gasket just to check and the Timing belt appeared nearly new. I figure it was just done by the one of the two previous owners. Here is a pic of what it looks like without the valve cover.

Supertech High mileage and a microgard came out, Mobil super and a Fram orange can went on.

Not bad! Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Looks good! Looks like you got a bit of oil on the timing belt, either that or a piece is missing, I can't tell.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Not bad! Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

No problem!

Originally Posted By: Leo99
How much does a Mazda Protege with 291k miles sell for?

I managed to get this guy for $750. Needed a new air tube from the filter to throttlebody for $60 and the front brake rotors and pads were replaced for about $100. Also new struts all around for around $200 after rebate. So I was into it for around $1100. Proteges are really reliable cars in my experience. Very under Appreciated. They are much like a toyota or honda in the fact that for the most part they run and drive until A: you wreck them, or B: you oil starve them as most burn a quart per 1k miles and people aren't used to topping oil off.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Looks good! Looks like you got a bit of oil on the timing belt, either that or a piece is missing, I can't tell.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Looks good! Yep I wonder also what that spot is on the timing belt

It was just a drop of oil that came off of the valve cover. Just wiped it off and put it back together.

Yes, I had a 1998 SE that I forced myself to part with at 384k miles. May be I was lucky, may be Japanese assembly had something to do with it, but I had no break-downs. Even AT was original. I was pretty careful with maintenance though. Mobil 1 10W-30 all her life.

Timing belts often look new even when they've been in use for 100000km. I wouldn't assume it has been done especially when timing kits are cheap and these are easy to work on. Even though I believe these engines are non-interference the hassle of dealing with a broken down car isn't worth it for a hundred bucks and 3-4 hours of your time.

Originally Posted By: chrismo
Timing belts often look new even when they've been in use for 100000km. I wouldn't assume it has been done especially when timing kits are cheap and these are easy to work on. Even though I believe these engines are non-interference the hassle of dealing with a broken down car isn't worth it for a hundred bucks and 3-4 hours of your time.

+1
Proteges from that era were among the most reliable and durable cars you could buy.
You can't tell a timing belt's age by looking at it. That engine IS an interference engine. Replace the timing belt, if it breaks the car is history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back