Windows 10 - Slow Boot Time - Black Screen????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issue: From restart to Windows login screen it takes 3min, 20sec.

This is a newer issue within the last month. Never timed it before but I would guess it used to take no longer than 30 seconds. Looks like lots of people are having this issue with the Windows 10 Anniversary update.

I Googled this and watched some tutorials regarding this issue.

This is what I've tried so far:

1) System Configuration -> Boot -> No GUI boot

2) Task Manager -> Startup -> Carbonite User Interface and Windows Defender are the only two things Enabled

3) Contral Panel -> Power Options -> Choose what the power buttons do -> Turn on fast startup (not checked, OFF)

After trying these three things, boot time is still 3min, 20sec. This was after applying these changes. I did not time it before applying these changes but seems to be about the same.

Any suggestions?

Some say the graphics card may need an update but I haven't looking into that yet.

Update: I just updated the graphics card. No change. In fact, the boot time is worse than before timed at 3min, 55sec... Still a long wait with a black screen.

Interesting, glad it's not just me. Between taking a long time to get to a login prompt, the hard drive is at 100% usage long after logging on.

i have same issue, disk 100% usage for a long time and found no solution. Tried many things from google search. Makes the laptop useless until disk usage go back to "normal:

There is a long boot time at work on various Windows machines, because of a full antivirus scan on boot, and probably the Windows search indexer runs too. I think a 3rd thing (corporate theft of IP) also runs. Basically a PC is unusable for 5-10 minutes after boot. They buy the cheapest, slowest HDD too.

Originally Posted By: spackard
There is a long boot time at work on various Windows machines, because of a full antivirus scan on boot, and probably the Windows search indexer runs too. I think a 3rd thing (corporate theft of IP) also runs. Basically a PC is unusable for 5-10 minutes after boot. They buy the cheapest, slowest HDD too.

The thing is, I’ve turned off most all of my start up tasks and only use Windows Essentials for my antivirus. I have way less things happening now at start up with the long boot time than when I the faster boot time.

Something is contending with your startup and it could be insidious and perhaps nefarious. I had to "upgrade" to windows 7 when my startups started getting problematic and I've been in heaven ever since. I'm pretty sure you might find this helpful but windows 10 needs to be repaired from CD cause if it affect bootup, the repair partition cannot restore something on the MBR or Master Boot Record. This must be tried in Safemode and there is no guarantee. If you tried restore, that won't help, imo. Was this helpful, what do you rate this post out of 5 stars?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nike360baller
Something is contending with your startup and it could be insidious and perhaps nefarious. I had to "upgrade" to windows 7 when my startups started getting problematic and I've been in heaven ever since. I'm pretty sure you might find this helpful but windows 10 needs to be repaired from CD cause if it affect bootup, the repair partition cannot restore something on the MBR or Master Boot Record. This must be tried in Safemode and there is no guarantee. If you tried restore, that won't help, imo. Was this helpful, what do you rate this post out of 5 stars?

This is nonsense, lay off the glue.

Cold boot/restart times:

20 seconds to Dell logo
80 seconds to login window
40 seconds till homepage has loaded

Total time until booted with browser ready to go: 2 minutes 20 seconds. I have a few high-impact startup items that slow my pc down.

Update: For quite some time I have wanted to upgrade to an SSD. The decision for the change had nothing to do with Windows boot time. It was mainly to replace an aging HDD before it went bad and for overall better/faster performance out of my old PC. Well, the new SSD met all my objectives and it fixed the slow Windows boot time as well; the black screen is now absent from the start-up. So there you have it. Fix Windows 10 with an SSD...

If your boot times were that bad and fixed with a new drive, the problem was pretty clearly the drive. It likely had failing sectors it was getting hung up on.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
If your boot times were that bad and fixed with a new drive, the problem was pretty clearly the drive. It likely had failing sectors it was getting hung up on.

Pause for concern is valid. The old drive is nearly ten years old so you may be right.

However I'm not too worried about it. Windows 10 slow boot times is widely reported by many, just do a Google or YouTube search on it. Beyond that, I wasn't experiencing any other issues with loading files or programs. Also, the HP diagnostic program found no issues with the drive, as well as my RAM or CPU. All that said, I'm believing it's a Windows 10 software issue and not a hardware issue.

Finally, the old drive won't be doing any of my heavy lifting and anything put on it will be backed up by my external drive in addition to the cloud. I'm going to run it until it breaks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back