Honda paint question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed new small chips of paint missing on my Accord in weird spots,like the roof,top of the hood,and trunk. Weird thing is,I know these are not rock chips because I rarely ever drive this car,and how would rock chips appear on the roof and trunk? I'd initially thought it was hail damage,but they're beginning to appear in really strange spots where there were none previously.

I'd read in one of Trav's posts where he said Honda's white and red are their thinnest colors. I did a little research online and found where Honda extended the 2006-2013 models' paint job warranties to 7 years. My car is 6 years old,and I was wondering if I should see about getting the paintwork looked at? I'm the second owner of the car,and I'm pretty sure factory warranties carry over,right?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've noticed new small chips of paint missing on my Accord in weird spots,like the roof,top of the hood,and trunk. Weird thing is,I know these are not rock chips because I rarely ever drive this car,and how would rock chips appear on the roof and trunk? I'd initially thought it was hail damage,but they're beginning to appear in really strange spots where there were none previously.

I'd read in one of Trav's posts where he said Honda's white and red are their thinnest colors. I did a little research online and found where Honda extended the 2006-2013 models' paint job warranties to 7 years. My car is 6 years old,and I was wondering if I should see about getting the paintwork looked at? I'm the second owner of the car,and I'm pretty sure factory warranties carry over,right?

Unless you have owned other Hondas-and taken them in to the dealer for service (a dealer that you have a relationship with MAY help you out with Honda Corporate.-your chances on a 6 year old car are pretty slim. However-unlike other manufacturers, Honda does care about their owners.

As others have stated-you need to call the Honda customer service line ASAP.

I had a computer air-bag controller go out at about 60,000 miles on my Honda Accord EX-L which I bought brand new. The dealer wanted an outrageous price to replace it. I called Honda Corporate and saw a $200.00 price reduction on the repair. It was something one couldn't repair themselves. The difference was I bought the car new.

Last edited:
My only complaint about my accord is paint quality/durability. Anything will chip it. And Honda in its wisdom uses white or light color undercoat/primer on a black car to give it that beautiful freckled look.

I see tons of Japanese cars and the worst paint is always the Hondas.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I had a computer air-bag controller go out at about 60,000 miles on my Honda Accord EX-L which I bought brand new. The dealer wanted an outrageous price to replace it. I called Honda Corporate and saw a $200.00 price reduction on the repair. It was something one couldn't repair themselves. The difference was I bought the car new.

I had a few issues with an Accord coupe that I bought new. Around the 70-75k a few things started going wrong. The most expensive item was a leaking rear main seal. First dealer quoted $700, an indy quoted the same price, second dealer quoted $500, called Honda corporate and they agreed to cover half. They also paid half for a front wheel bearing that was fixed at an indy. So 50% off of $250 that they sent me a check for. There was another thing but can't remember what it was. Also had the fuel pressure regulator replaced for $100 but covered that on my own. I didn't ask the dealer for anything but did ask Honda corporate. The rep was a very mean lady but she did come through for me. The service manager even asked me about the mean lady at Honda corp and if it was just him.

Originally Posted By: willbur
My only complaint about my accord is paint quality/durability. Anything will chip it. And Honda in its wisdom uses white or light color undercoat/primer on a black car to give it that beautiful freckled look.

How true!!! Many were delivered defective.
Black to me was the worst!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Paint depth is about has thick as a post-it note. Hondas and Mazdas average on the thinner side.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/97801-average-paint-thickness-3.html

OK-so the paint is thin. Will Honda step up knowing they have thin paint-on a six year old, second owner vehicle?

That's the question. And the OP-hanging out on here probably doesn't have any relationship in the service Dept. at the local dealership.......

My guess would be a big, fat NO. And I would agree with them on the decision for a variety of reasons.

I had a few issues with an Accord coupe that I bought new. Around the 70-75k a few things started going wrong. The most expensive item was a leaking rear main seal. First dealer quoted $700, an indy quoted the same price, second dealer quoted $500, called Honda corporate and they agreed to cover half. They also paid half for a front wheel bearing that was fixed at an indy. So 50% off of $250 that they sent me a check for. There was another thing but can't remember what it was. Also had the fuel pressure regulator replaced for $100 but covered that on my own. I didn't ask the dealer for anything but did ask Honda corporate. The rep was a very mean lady but she did come through for me. The service manager even asked me about the mean lady at Honda corp and if it was just him.

Yep-stories like this where manufacturers step up (when they are not forced to) are as rare as unicorns. Honda is an exception.

Subaru told me to go pound sand on a paint problem (which I have mentioned on here) on a 1 year old Legacy that had a MSRP of $28,000.00 that I bought new. Consequently-I got rid of the car and they have lost a customer FOR LIFE.

Last edited:
I have bought over $100K in new Honda's and they never did anything for me, even under warranty. I lean more to Toyota now but none of them are as good since the mid 2000's.

Blows my mind that my 1996 never garaged Nissan still has impeccably pristine paint!

I'll give the corporate cs line a holler. If they say negatory,I'll dig it. I'm not angry,just curious as to I've never had paint issues like that before and it's a little flabbergasting to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Originally Posted By: willbur

How true!!! Many were delivered defective.
Black to me was the worst!

#me too for black honda Civic and fading paint.

Paint depth is about has thick as a post-it note. Hondas and Mazdas average on the thinner side.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/97801-average-paint-thickness-3.html

OK-so the paint is thin. Will Honda step up knowing they have thin paint-on a six year old, second owner vehicle?

That's the question. And the OP-hanging out on here probably doesn't have any relationship in the service Dept. at the local dealership.......

If it's less than 7 years, please immediately start working with Corporate and you might get lucky...

One day the pearl white paint on my 2012 Odyssey front roof section was gone, like someone just washed away. Contacted the dealer and they submitted a "good will" request. You still need to pay for deductible between $200-$400 depends on the year of your car.
This is still cheaper than vinyl wrap the roof or repaint on your own.

One day the pearl white paint on my 2012 Odyssey front roof section was gone, like someone just washed away. Contacted the dealer and they submitted a "good will" request. You still need to pay for deductible between $200-$400 depends on the year of your car.
This is still cheaper than vinyl wrap the roof or repaint on your own.

My (and probably everyone's) biggest complaint with Honda is the thinness of their paint. Come on Honda, get with the program and make the paint on your vehicles match the quality of the rest of the vehicle. Why cheap out on the paint? It's been like this for years too...you'd think they'd get the message by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back